Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Questions - Sept 29 2016

I...am your father.

Default Re: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Questions - Sept 29 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Hey Dobber! Thanks for taking these questions.

Here's mine:

I own Price (not moving him), Varlamov, Pickard, Halak, Greiss and Hellebuyck (not moving him) in my keeper league in sig. I tend to dominate in my goalie categories on a yearly basis due to the amount/quality of my tenders in a 16-team league (some don't even have starters). My question is, should I look at moving Varly or the duo of Halak and Greiss for some help on D or up front since Hellebuyck and maybe even Pickard will eventually have their team's respective creases?

Basically, which goalie(s) would you move and what type of return should I look for if the other manager(s) is/are currently struggling in their goalie categories? Do you see a better return with Halak/Greiss (although that would mean that the other team would have to free up 2 slots) or does Varly still hold enough value to warrant moving him (considering I own Pickard, I assume the other party will want the handcuff... should I move Pickard too)? Am I better off moving before the season begins or should I wait a bit and see who heats up early on?

I know my question is a bit vague but I'm just trying to gauge the perceived value of my 3-4 goalies and see what I should do with them.

Thanks in advance for your time, I appreciate it!
    I think your NYI handcuff and Price are good enough for you. You can move Varlamov for D, but stop talks if they insist on Pickard too. Pickard's time will come, don't move him now.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by louba5 View Post
    what to expect from Rick Nash this year? I bought your guide and read it all, great as usual, and I noticed you have him with a pretty lofty points total. Many projections have him well lower in terms of production, and you don't develop much in the guide about him.. Do you know something that others don't?

Also, i'm a bit anxious about Larkin year, it seems like the range of outcome is pretty huge. Do you have a gut feeling either way?

Thanks for doing this!
    I don't find 58 all that lofty. I've also spent his entire career trying to play him down and lower people's expectations so I'm finding this a change of pace when I have to actually raise the expectations back up again LOL!

Last year he was injured and played injured. The year before that he had 69 points, so I think getting up to 58 again isn't nuts. He's only 32 (still has two or three more 50+ years ahead of him IMO, though his 60+ days are probably done) and has a better supporting cast around him

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by louba5 View Post

Also, i'm a bit anxious about Larkin year, it seems like the range of outcome is pretty huge. Do you have a gut feeling either way?

Thanks for doing this!
    Larkin slowed down in the second half, but I still think he builds on that year and gets over the 50-point hump. I don't foresee any huge breakout from him for a year or two yet though

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Hi Dobber,

Long time poster, first time caller....

Do you think William Nylander has much of a chance at the Calder Trophy?
    If he plays 80 games then I think he's a Top 3 Calder guy. My (huge) concern is the injury bug. He's young, but still strikes me as fragile. That's why I have him ranked 15th in the Guide

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Rookie

Hey Dobber,

Thanks for taking some time to do this. My league allows 10 keepers and the last spot is down to Backes and Saad. I'm looking to dish one for a pick upgrade, but can't decide who is better for my team. I'm in a win-now mode. It's a multi-category league that includes Faceoffs, Hits, and Blocks. I'm trying to project if Backes is going to be a 3rd line center or a top 6 winger to anticipate his role and what can be expected of his stats. What's your take?

I know Saad is a shooter and should be in the realm of 30 goals on a regular basis, but I already have Patrick Kane and Johnny Gaudreau. As with most leagues though, 30-goal scorers are a commodity and are often hard to acquire.

Should I be trading Backes or Saad?
    14 Team Keeper League - 20 Roster Spots per team; 10 keepers

H2H
    Skater Stats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FOW, HIT, BLK
    Goalie Stats: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

Keepers:
    F: P. Kane, Kopitar, MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Point, Point, Marner
    D: Carlson
    G: Shesterkin, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Pro

How do you feel about Grigorenko this year, especially if he sticks in the top 6.

How about about Quine? Though I think he is more destined to a top 9/middle 6 role.

And finally how do you value Minnesota defense? Think BB gives Dumba a bigger boost than say Suter
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm picking 10th in my upcoming draft in a 14 team league i'm in (see signature).

I just wanted to add that the only D keepers that aren't available to draft are Ghost, Burns, Karlsson and Subban. Goalie wise, Gibson and Murray aren't available to draft. Forward wise, the following aren't available to draft: Eichel, Pacioretti, Schwartz, Parise, Draisaitl, Getzlaf, Seguin, Tarasenko, Duchene, Ehlers, O'Reilly, P Kane, Kucherov, Voracek, Giroux, Stone, H Sedin, D Strome, Tavares, Galy, Kessel, Toffoli, S Reinhart, Bennett, Toews, Steen, Ovie, Crosby, Marchand, Panarin, Malkin, Backstrom, Bergeron, Johansen, Perry, Fabbri, Thornton, Drouin, D Sedin, Duclair, Johnson, Monahan, Scheifele, Landy, Forsberg, Marner, Couture, Gaudreau, Pavelski, Benn, W Nylander, Kopitar, McDavid, Wheeler, Eberle, Barkov, Nuge, Stamkos, Larkin, and then of course my guys: MacK, Hall, Kuz, Domi, Huberdeau.

The top 2 are obvious 1-2 picks, and 3-10 are my best guess of who I could see going (not in any particular order).

Matthews
    Laine
    Pulujarvi
    OEL
    Neal
    Saad
    Schenn
    Hoffman
    Spezza
    Holtby

I essentially need to pick 1 RW, 2 D, 1 G and then either a C or LW, that will make up my starting lineup when adding it to the 5 guys I already have. Domi (C, LW), Kuz (C, LW), Hall (C, LW) and Mac (C, RW) all have dual eligibility still, since we are able to carry last years positions over. I pick at 10, then not again until 37 (late 3rd round). After this, I pick 53rd, 55th, 60th, 75th, 88th, 94th and 103rd.

Is there anyone in the above list of the potential Top 10 that you would remove? If so, who would you replace them with? Also, who would you target at #10? I was thinking Neal or Saad, unless by chance Holtby, Letang/OEL, or Pulujarvi are available. If all of the guys listed are gone, I was thinking re-draft Spezza, or maybe grab Hoffman or Schenn and just grab a rw in the middle rounds to fill in behind Mac.

I just don't like the gap I have between 10 and 37, but it's not the end of the world I guess. I was offered a couple of trade scenarios: one was moving up to Pick 31, and moving out pick 37, but in order to do so, I would have to move a 4th in 2018, and would get a 6th back. We will be switching from snake to straight draft as of 2017, and the guy i'm talking with won last year, and always tends to do well. I finished 7th last year, but i'm on the upswing.

A 2nd trade scenario involves me moving my 10th pick for the 24th pick, and then I would move a 7th rounder (88th overall) and get a 4th rounder (47th overall) back.

Would you consider either of those 2 pick type deals, or just roll with what I have and make the best of it? I think i'm set up pretty nicely in the 4th round and beyond.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I think he does, but I think he'll be No.2 PP and I think they'll sign him a few days into the season due to cap reasons and Kucherov. I think he still has gas left in the tank and deserves better, but it is what it is. This decision will lead to a decline in his stats and probably push him out of the NHL for next year.
    Would you keep him over Ceci and/or Johns this year? I still have to cut two players off my roster, and I'm thinking it'll be Marchessault and one of Ceci/Johns/Wisniewski.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hi y'all from former home of the Thrashers!

Draft this weekend.
    Wins-GAA-SV%
    No minimum games required and I have Price.
    I'm in a rebuild/reload kind of place.
    Mrazek, Talbot, or Hellebuyck?

Part II
    pts-g-a-hits-blks-+/-
    last keeper...Fabbri or RNH?

Thanks
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by valec View Post
    Thanx for doing this.
    Dynasty keeper in sig.

Just finished our draft. Cap was tight so filled the reserve spots with prospects.
    Due to IR, I was able to draft a few more players, but I will need to drop one player come start of season.

Due to my weaker depth at D and G, I'm planning to hold onto the D and G prospects, so I'm looking at Milano and Jost for pts only.
    Who do you keep?
    I think it's best to play it safe here. Take the safer, long-range guy in Jost and drop the risk/reward Milano. Tough decision though!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by OTDolan28 View Post
    Hey Dobber,

Thanks for taking some time to do this. My league allows 10 keepers and the last spot is down to Backes and Saad. I'm looking to dish one for a pick upgrade, but can't decide who is better for my team. I'm in a win-now mode. It's a multi-category league that includes Faceoffs, Hits, and Blocks. I'm trying to project if Backes is going to be a 3rd line center or a top 6 winger to anticipate his role and what can be expected of his stats. What's your take?

I know Saad is a shooter and should be in the realm of 30 goals on a regular basis, but I already have Patrick Kane and Johnny Gaudreau. As with most leagues though, 30-goal scorers are a commodity and are often hard to acquire.

Should I be trading Backes or Saad?
    I would trade Saad. You broke the situation accurately, but I don't think that's as bad for Backes as you think. He was among a glut of centermen in St. Louis too, so I'd expect similar numbers for him. I think Saad is a tad overrated too.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hey Dobber!

Will Barzal make the team this year? And if so, what kind of an impact?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    How do you feel about Grigorenko this year, especially if he sticks in the top 6.

How about about Quine? Though I think he is more destined to a top 9/middle 6 role.

And finally how do you value Minnesota defense? Think BB gives Dumba a bigger boost than say Suter
    I like Grigorenko and I'm pulling for him, but I'm not very optimistic. With a new coach, perhaps he gets a fair chance, but if I were to lay money down on either a 50-point breakthrough vs. KHL next year....I'd bet on KHL (if those were my only two options).

Dumba won't get more of a boost than Suter, but he'll be a No. 2 guy for PP and will beat last year by at least 10 points
    http://dobberhockey.com/players/matt-dumba

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Sorry, forgot about Quine. i think he's a bit of a long shot. A dark horse. There are better long shots out there, but I wouldn't rule him out 100%. Waiver fodder, not draftable

Dobber Sports Veteran

Need help evaluating Eichel in a keeper, points only (see sig).

Could flip Burns for Eichel and a 1st (7OA).
    The pick would give me options for this year, but at the end of season, it'll be Eichel vs Burns that matters.
    So, what's your take on the development of Eichel?
    What I can hope for him this year? In 3 year? At the peak of is carrer?
    Keeper for keeper, do you prefer Burns or Eichel?

Thanks a lot.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

What's the deal with Buffalo's LW? Does Kane or Ennis get the top gig, and do either have a realistic shot at 60 pts?
    Full Keeper Team, straight points, no PIMs:
    C Under construction
    LW Under construction
    RW Under construction
    D Under construction
    G Under construction
    Farm Under construction

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    I'm picking 10th in my upcoming draft in a 14 team league i'm in (see signature).

I just wanted to add that the only D keepers that aren't available to draft are Ghost, Burns, Karlsson and Subban. Goalie wise, Gibson and Murray aren't available to draft. Forward wise, the following aren't available to draft: Eichel, Pacioretti, Schwartz, Parise, Draisaitl, Getzlaf, Seguin, Tarasenko, Duchene, Ehlers, O'Reilly, P Kane, Kucherov, Voracek, Giroux, Stone, H Sedin, D Strome, Tavares, Galy, Kessel, Toffoli, S Reinhart, Bennett, Toews, Steen, Ovie, Crosby, Marchand, Panarin, Malkin, Backstrom, Bergeron, Johansen, Perry, Fabbri, Thornton, Drouin, D Sedin, Duclair, Johnson, Monahan, Scheifele, Landy, Forsberg, Marner, Couture, Gaudreau, Pavelski, Benn, W Nylander, Kopitar, McDavid, Wheeler, Eberle, Barkov, Nuge, Stamkos, Larkin, and then of course my guys: MacK, Hall, Kuz, Domi, Huberdeau.

The top 2 are obvious 1-2 picks, and 3-10 are my best guess of who I could see going (not in any particular order).

Matthews
    Laine
    Pulujarvi
    OEL
    Neal
    Saad
    Schenn
    Hoffman
    Spezza
    Holtby

I essentially need to pick 1 RW, 2 D, 1 G and then either a C or LW, that will make up my starting lineup when adding it to the 5 guys I already have. Domi (C, LW), Kuz (C, LW), Hall (C, LW) and Mac (C, RW) all have dual eligibility still, since we are able to carry last years positions over. I pick at 10, then not again until 37 (late 3rd round). After this, I pick 53rd, 55th, 60th, 75th, 88th, 94th and 103rd.

Is there anyone in the above list of the potential Top 10 that you would remove? If so, who would you replace them with?

Remove Spezza. Remove Saad. Holtby should be FIRST on your list. Add Klingberg. Add Josi. Add Radulov

Also, who would you target at #10? I was thinking Neal or Saad, unless by chance Holtby, Letang/OEL, or Pulujarvi are available. If all of the guys listed are gone, I was thinking re-draft Spezza, or maybe grab Hoffman or Schenn and just grab a rw in the middle rounds to fill in behind Mac.
    well, you target the best guy available on your list. You have 11 good ones. I'd aim for Holtby first, then defensemen.

I just don't like the gap I have between 10 and 37, but it's not the end of the world I guess. I was offered a couple of trade scenarios: one was moving up to Pick 31, and moving out pick 37, but in order to do so, I would have to move a 4th in 2018, and would get a 6th back. We will be switching from snake to straight draft as of 2017, and the guy i'm talking with won last year, and always tends to do well. I finished 7th last year, but i'm on the upswing.

A 2nd trade scenario involves me moving my 10th pick for the 24th pick, and then I would move a 7th rounder (88th overall) and get a 4th rounder (47th overall) back.

Would you consider either of those 2 pick type deals, or just roll with what I have and make the best of it? I think i'm set up pretty nicely in the 4th round and beyond.
    No, just wait for your picks