Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drew 1st overall in snake draft. Need some input on my 20th and 21st pick

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Drew 1st overall in snake draft. Need some input on my 20th and 21st pick

Great advice guys. The team in my Signature is for another league. This league I tal about is brand new this year. I will assume by the 20/21st pick Price and Holtby will be gone. I do agree that one of these two picks should be a tender. I'm so used to 8man leagues. This 10man is goin to really be different drafting wise. As always thanks again guys.
    Keeper Pool 1

6 Person keepe league H2H
    5 Keepers
    1pt G&A for F&D
    extra pt for PPP
    extra pt for GWG
    2pts Goalie Win
    3 extra pts for Goalie SO
    START 12F 6D 2G

KEEPERS
    Tarasenko- Gaudreau- Karlsson- Eichel- Laine

Keeper Pool 2

10 Person Keeper League H2H
    2 points for G,SHG,SHA,GWG
    1 point for A,PPG,PPA,
    3 points for GOALIE WIN
    2 extra points for SO
    1 extra point for OT Loss
    START 12F 7D 2G

KEEPERS
    McDavid-Eichel-Kucherov-Marner-Karlsson

If you ain't first your last!!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Drew 1st overall in snake draft. Need some input on my 20th and 21st pick

The "turn"... 20/21... 40/41... 60/61... 80/81...

No - you do NOT need a goalie at 20/21.
    In a 10-team league, assuming you count 2G, you definitely do NOT need a goalie.

Let's play "worst case".
    OK - worst case, the other 9 teams all super-value goalies.
    Maybe 5-6 goalies go off the board btw 2-19: Holtby, Price will both go. Maybe Quick. Maybe Bishop, Crawford, Jake Allen, John Gibson.

You use 20/21 on two of Eichel/Matthews/Laine. Eichel SHOULD be gone. Matthews SHOULD be gone. They could be there. Laine might be there.
    One of the benefits of a goalie run is that some premium skater keepers are left on the board. If 6 goalies go, then only 13 skaters will go.
    So even if all of Eichel, Matthews, Laine go... that means that TWO of these 12 is there: OV, Crosby, Seguin, Benn, Pat Kane, Tarasenko, Stamkos, Tavares, Karlsson, Kucherov, Pavelski, Giroux, Kuznetsov, !!!!
    Even if you could get PK Subban or Brent Burns here, I'd prefer that over a goalie.

I'd hammer away at skater for quite a while.

So... anyways, say all 9 other GMs want their 2 goalies badly.
    Here's who you miss out on:
    1. Holtby, 2. Price, 3. Quick, 4. Allen, 5. Crawford, 6. M.Jones, 7. Bishop, 8. Gibson, 9. Crawford, 10. Schneider, 11. Lundqvist, 12. Rask (I really like these as clear-cut top 12 this year, not ordered)
    13. Rinne, 14. Dubnyk, 15. Mrazek, 16. F.Andersen, 17.

BECAUSE you're at the turn, here's who will slide to you... AND you wait.. AND... YOU TAKE BOTH:
    a) Fleury AND Murray... I'm not sure if they'll slide, maybe... but you're looking at 52wins between them. (I'd wait to 80/81...)
    b) Niemi AND Lehtonen. I mean, this is gold at the turn. Dallas is going to win 50 games! And these guys almost will slide. (I'd wait to 100/101...)
    c) Reimer AND Luongo. 82 starts from the Florida goalie, that's another 45+ wins. (I'd wait to 100/101...)
    d) Halak AND Greiss. NYI should be solid, get 82 starts. (I'd wait to 100/101...)
    e) B.Elliott AND C.Johnson. Calgary should be solid AND they have an awesome off-night schedule. I'm not sold this is Elliott's team... I think Chad is good enough to steal it. (Late draft Gillies if you do this) I'd wait to 120/121...
    f) Hellebuyck AND whocares. Everybody and their cousin knows this is Helle's team NEXT year. (I'd wait to 120/121)...
    g) M.Smith AND whocares. Arizona will be decent this year. (I'd wait to 120/121...)

In other words, there's a LOT of decent options beyond the top 18 goalies. (The 9 teams, if they only get 5 keepers, will snag their two goalies and then LAY OFF until they get their team rounded out).

What this does... waiting on a goalie... is it gives you TREMENDOUS goalie-value in your draft to go after a win for this year.
    You'll also be the FIRST team to have all five keepers using your 1, 20/21, 40/41 picks on skaters.
    If you can late draft a Matt Murray or Hellebuyck... you're laughing, because that type of guy is a future-keeper value too.

That's what I would do in a keep 5 at your spot.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks PENGUIN I really like how you broke it down for me. Thanks a mil
    Keeper Pool 1

6 Person keepe league H2H
    5 Keepers
    1pt G&A for F&D
    extra pt for PPP
    extra pt for GWG
    2pts Goalie Win
    3 extra pts for Goalie SO
    START 12F 6D 2G

KEEPERS
    Tarasenko- Gaudreau- Karlsson- Eichel- Laine