Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53

Thread: Pat Quinn Memorial Cup (PQMC)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Pat Quinn Memorial Cup (PQMC)

Kept:
    F: Draisaitl, Kaprizov, Rantanen, Tavares, Larkin, Nylander
    D: Karlsson, Trouba, Byram, Chabot
    G: Oettinger
    NA: Wright

Round 14 (164): Jeremey Swayman - I had a couple of players in my Queue that went and there was no one left. I didn't really want to go Swayman here, but I wasn't impressed by anyone left.

Round 15 (178): Matthew Knies - I didn't have a pick until round 19 after this, figured I take him for fun. If it works out he can be a beast in hits. If it doesn't then oh well

Round 19 (226): Connor Brown - Started going with linemates at this point. I need booms for my team and if he can stick with Draisaitl or McDavid than he'll work out

Round 20 (230): Joseph Woll (230), Brady Skjei (238) - I picked Woll as if/when Samsonov gets hurt, maybe Woll can take over. Do what Samsonov did last yr.

Round 21 (242): Alexander Romanov - I dunno, I kinda forgot he went to NYI.
    Round 21 (249): Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Safe all around player. Could get me a draft pick in February
    Round 21 (250): Jonathan Drouin - Couple be with MacKinnon and Rantanen
    Round 22 (262): Josh Anderson - Shrug?
    Round 23 (266): Logan Stankoven - Hoping to be my NA player
    Round 23 (274): Cam Fowler
    Round 23 (276): Tomas Tatar

Honestly, I didn't really put effort into thinking about this draft as I didn't know who would even be available when I picked. My team can work out well if there's injuries to other players. My keepers should keep me afloat for a bit though.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Pre-Draft Keepers:
    F: Jack Eichel, Braden Point, Filip Forsberg, Josh Norris, Travis Konecny, Alex Tuch

D: Darnell Nurse, Seth Jones, K'Andre Miller, Jeff Petry
    G: Jacob Markstrom
    N/A: Dustin Wolf

I had pre-ranked my top-25 or so, and knowing that people always have different priorities with keepers and everything, I figured a few of them would slide to even fill up my middle round picks. Then I would be able to fill out any holes or see if anyone I like slides to the late rounds. Didn't really have much more of a plan than that other than going Fantilli at #2.

12-2: Adam Fantilli
    Missing out on Connor Bedard, I have Jack Eichel anyways so I'm familiar with what the #2 in a great draft can be. Hoping he hits that ceiling.

12-10: Luke Hughes
    I figured Georgiev wouldn't make it all the way to #10, but Fantilli wouldn't have either and I don't like investing in goalies here. Was hoping for one of Laine or Hughes at this pick, and went for the Dman first. Not sure how he'll do in year one, but he can replace Petry as my keeper D next year regardless.

13-2: Patrik Laine
    He did slide a couple more picks to me, so I was very happy that I could get my two main targets off the bat. Interesting that he's already stealing Fantilli's spot as the #1C in Columbus...

13-8: Logan Cooley
    I figured I might as well grab the other top young player at this point since I had a few of the others already. I'm not convinced Tuch or Norris are keepers on a championship team, so this gives me the option of trading youth in-season, or building for the next few years.

13-10: Owen Tippett
    I hate having to chase RW, and I think Tippett has a great breakout season this year with volume in the peripherals and at least 50 points, hoping for 60-70+. Had him on my team last year and he was fantastic in our format.

14-2: Devon Levi
    He probably wouldn't have lasted much longer, and I traded him away in another league this offseason, so I figured it would be nice to have a share in him at this point. Fits with the youth options too.

16-2: Valeri Nichushkin
    He was the other guy I was considering at 14-2, but I figured Levi wouldn't slide. Happy to have five options at RW already, and hoping for a big campaign from him after his excellent statistical season got cut short by injuries last year.

16-10: Rasmus Sandin
    He was one of the last defencemen that I really liked, and I needed a 6th for sure. Probably let him sit longer than I should have if I really wanted him, but happy to get him here. Might not keep up his scoring pace in WSH that he had while Carlson was out, but at minimum there is some upside and good peripherals too.

18-10: Rasmus Ristolainen
    Second-straight Rasmus on defence, and I think they could make up a solid bottom-pair. Huge peripherals here, which is what I'm going to need to keep me out of the basement this year. Apparently he might get some PP time too?

19-2: Eeli Tolvanen
    Similar to Tippett, he gets peripherals and has an awesome shot, just needs to use it more. With Sprong gone I think there are a lot more offensive minutes in which to shelter Tolvanen, and he's going to pop a bit this year. Fills out my LW, but gives me tons of RW options too which I love.

19-3: Akira Schmid
    Definitely wasn't planning on another goalie, but getting the guy who could get anywhere from 20-40 starts for New Jersey when Vanecek went #4 overall felt like something that was too good to pass up.

23-7: Artturi Lehkonen
    I drafted him earlier than this last year, and I don't think he has dropped off much in value, so it was good to be able to get him again here. This time he wasn't part of some elaborate make up of missing including Marco Rossi as a keeper, so I won't have to immediately flip him off my roster this year.

2023-24 Wheat Kings
    C: Jack Eichel, Braden Point, Josh Norris, Adam Fantilli, Logan Cooley
    LW:
    Filip Forsberg, Valeri Nichushkin, Eeli Tolvanen, Artturi Lehkonen
    RW: Travis Konecny, Alex Tuch, Patrik Laine, Owen Tippett

D: Darnell Nurse, Seth Jones, K'Andre Miller, Jeff Petry, Luke Hughes, Rasmus Sandin, Rasmus Ristolainen
    G: Jacob Markstrom, Devon Levi, Akira Schmid
    N/A: Dustin Wolf

Strengths: SOG, Hits, youth
    Weaknesses: A, FOWs
    Questions: Goalies
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

REVIEW

Keepers (Have since acquired Hischier for Bouchard)

Aleksander Barkov C
    Elias Pettersson C
    Tim Stützle LW
    Dylan Cozens C
    Kyle Connor LW
    Claude Giroux RW

Quinn Hughes
    Miro Heiskanen
    Evan Bouchard
    Martin Fehervary

Thatcher Demko

NA Kevin Korchinski

Draft—started at 33rd pick overall.

Round 14 - Kuzmenko
    He was almost a keeper to me, and I never thought he’d be there with my first pick at 33. After Alex snagged Levi (who I’ve already traded for) this was a no-brainer for me. Some regression, perhaps, but I still think he puts up 70+ pts, and owning EP40 and Hughes gives me a chunk of that PP.

Round 15 - Vejmelka
    I actually like him. High volume goalie. Some weeks he’ll win me my G cats, and other weeks he won’t haha. Plus, as my #3 he plays on odd nights so he’s great for volume. So many goalies gone early I had to take him.

Round 15 Compher
    He won’t get me the same numbers he had with the Avs but 800 FOW for a dual winger.

Round 17 and 17 Jeannot and Nick Paul
    Back-to-back picks gets me the peripheral monsters on TB’s third line. Yes, please.

Round 18 Adam Lowry
    One of my favourite players. Big hits and FOW, and a few pts. A nice complimentary piece to my big four centers.

Round 18. McNabb
    Peripherals beast. Had him last year and loved him.

Round 21 Carter Hart
    Goalies were getting really thin so I grabbed Hart for volume. Have since traded him to Alex.

Round 22. Chiarot
    Like McNabb, I had him last year and he gave me consistent peripherals.

Round 22. Kirill Marchenko
    Needed a RW. Hoping he stays on that top PP but he’s a moveable piece to me.

Round 22. Matt Roy.
    Needed D. Decent peripherals. Likely temporary on my roster.

Round 23. Cam York
    Was surprised he was there for my last pick. Traded him to Alex in the Hart package for Levi.

All in all, I’m happy with my team. I’ve got solid peripherals to add to my keepers, which is what I’d hoped to do. Some holes to fill but that’s always the fun part.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Keepers

C - McDavid, Malkin
    LW - RNH, Fiala
    RW - Meier, Keller
    D - Hamilton, Burns, Faulk, Theodore
    NA - Holtz
    G - Gibson

Having lots of early picks...this is the most prepared I have ever been for the PQMC draft. I have never owned McDavid, so getting him in the dispersal draft was a huge bonus for me.
    I go into the draft fully expecting Mike and Alex to take rookies. So I know I have to rank four players of which I am going to get two of them at pick 5 and 6.

I really dove into my keepers. My keepers lack faceoff wins and hits, so I know I need to focus on these.

So my top rankings going into the draft were - Georgiev, Horvat, Kopitar and Dubois.

Round 1 (5) and (6) - With two goalies going between the two rookies and my picks... I get the pick of three forwards on my short list. I decide to go with Bo Horvat over Kopitar. They both win a tonne of faceoffs, Horvat shoots a bit more, so I decided to go with him. Then I went with Dubois for the coveted winger faceoff wins and hits. The combination of these two players gives me what I wanted faceoff wins and decent hit totals.

Round 2 (3) After getting faceoff wins in the first round, I turn my focus towards hits. Kreider is now two years removed from his big goal scoring year, but he still shoots the puck a lot and hits a lot.

Round 2 (5) Batherson - I know there is some risk around him... but with the extra draft capital I had in early rounds, I wanted to take the risk for the hits and shots that he provides.

Round 2 (6) Hertl -
    A lot more faceoff wins and a good mix of points, powerplay points and hits.

Round 5 (3) Seguin - My list for the next three picks was Seguin, Barbashev, Wilson and P. Kane. I got Seguin for the faceoff wins from the wing. And really wants to come back with Barbeshev. In between my two picks he went.

Round 5 (5) Wilson -
    Lots of hits, hopefully he still has some offensive game. Was really disappointed to miss out on Barbashev... really think he has a great year.

Round 5 (12) P Kane - While making this pick I basically have my full forward group finished and just need some D (which I fully planned on stuffing in the last round) and a couple goalies. So I decided to take the chance on P. Kane and hope he signs somewhere good.

Round 6 (3) and (8) - Time to pick a couple goalies that should get starts on middle of the pack teams. Not expecting to win the wins category very often so give me saves and more saves. Gruabuer and Husso

LONG BREAK

Round 12 - Back to back picks in the 12th round - the Defesne depth is evaporated. So I pick a couple guys that hit and block a lot. Use them for a week or two and watch for emerging talents on the waivers. Hakanpaa and C Murphy.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Stud

First time drafting in the PQMC and I really had one main prioirity going in - just don't embarass myself.

Strategy:
    Well based on the dispersal draft I knew I was going to be in tough to compete this year as I went young on F and didn't have a pick until late in the 2nd round (13th round). Plan was to still try and draft to win - but with secondary intentions to land a future F keeper as well as gain assets for trades later in the year if my squad fades.

Pre-Draft Keepers:
    F: Matthews, Panarin, Buchnevich, McTavish, Lafreniere, Raymond
    D: Sergachev, McAvoy, Werenski, Letang
    G: Saros
    NA: Nemec

Draft Review:
    Waiting til pick 21 meant I had time to start to get a feel for the league's drafting style but it did NOT go how I'd sort of assumed it might. I'd say about 15 of my "targets" - not just "ranked" guys - went before I could pick. That definitely threw me a little bit and I decided to deviate from my initial plan and just try to react as things unfolded.
    First real 'learning': I typically play in dynasty or re-draft formats with my other main limited keeper pool being a 'friends' pool that doesn't require much strategy. Realized quickly I'll need to get to know other teams' needs better before the draft.

Round 13: L.Carlsson (ANA)
    Didn't expect him to be here tbh (figured the high-end rooks would go immediately) but sort of makes sense in hindsight. My big hope is that he plays 9 games and then becomes my N/A for next year. I'd like to have him as a future piece as I think he'll (eventually) be similar to N.Hischier in value but with the bonus of the ANA schedule.

Round 14: M.Matheson, D.Kuemper
    Felt like D was my strength coming into the draft so doubled down on that with Matheson as not many PP1 guys weren't kept. Goalies were moving more quickly than I anticipated so while Kuemper felt like a reach here, he complements Saros really well both schedule-wise and volume-wise.

Round 16: S.Couturier
    Even though C is deep I looked at my list and there weren't many strong FOW with a chance at PP1 guys. My top W targets were all snagged very early so going with a guy I hope bounces back to pre-injury levels under Torts.

Round 17: R.O'Reilly
    Almost identical to the rationale for Couturier - but I also think that ROR's brutal year last year had him ranked WAY too low across all platforms. Elite FOW and I don't see that changing this year as neither T.Novak or C.Glass are studs and C.Sissons is d-zone first.

Round 18: R.Hartman
    It was clear from the get-go that getting FOW from a W position is a top priority in this league and Hartman, while not having awesome totals, does that while adding in some Hits. Also, I had him last year in a few pools, and I think he was under-ranked slightly because he missed time (injury), got bumped off L1 for a while for S.Steel (and lost FOW because of that). Hoping he regains his form of the year prior.

Round 18: E.Merzlikins
    I had originally just intended to pick 1 goalie to go with Saros, but watching the draft unfold it felt like many guys were angling for (at least) 3. Merz was the last of the tenders I was really interested in and fingers crossed he can bounce back with an improving CBJ team/defense this year.

Round 19: J.DeBrusk, R.Colton
    JDB isn't an exciting pick here but he should be fine for returning value at this stage. I'm guessing he'll be PP1 and add in a smattering of hits along the way. R.Colton was a late-round target as he brings those coveted FOW from W position and also hits a ton. Curious if more ice time in COL will boost his raw totals or if he'll pace around the same.

Round 20: C.Coyle
    He's been a guy that's made it on many rosters of mine this year as he should be the primary FOW guy in BOS with Berg/Krej gone. If he sneaks onto PP1 that's a bonus - but even if not, hoping he's running 19-20 mins a night and can put up decent ES numbers alongside Marchand/DeBrusk. This also ensures I've still got 4 quality C if/when L.Carlsson is loaned back overseas.

Round 22: M.Pacioretty, G.Vilardi
    Final two picks and felt like at this stage of the draft Patches was a decent dart to throw. Obv he'll be on IR for a bit - but once he returns, he could bring relevant cats and may be really attractive to a top team who is looking for depth. Not sure G.Vilardi would be here if he wasn't C-only eligible but I expect him to get his RW soon as it seems like he's been stapled to Connor/Scheifele all pre-season.

2023-2024 Upper Body Injury
    C: A.Matthews, S.Couturier, R.O'Reilly, C.Coyle, L.Carlsson
    R: A.Lafreniere (soon), L.Raymond, J.DeBrusk, R.Hartman, G.Vilardi (soon)
    L: A.Panarin, P.Buchnevich, M.McTavish, R.Colton, M.Pacioretty (IR)
    D: M.Sergachev, C.McAvoy, Z.Werenski, K.Letang, M.Matheson, S.Nemec
    G: J.Saros, D.Kuemper, E.Merzlikins

Final Thoughts:
    Need another Dman (or two if Nemec doesn't stick) and likely need more hits/blks - but that's usually streamable.
    Lack of offense is likely my biggest issue this year but knew that once I settled on my keepers. If any of Laffy, Raymond or McTavish pop it'll help a lot. If not, I'll be happy I took Carlsson early as it'll be a 2024 season focus for me.
    Overall - glad I didn't embarass myself and did feel like I learned a TON about the league including how to better value draft picks (which we can trade).

Grateful to get to join such a fun and knowledgable group of GMs who chat more about life/sports/fantasy more than any other league I've been in and really helps you get to know the people behind the team names!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Deity

You did fine Q. You certainly didnt embarrass yourself one bit. Looking forward to see where you take your team in the coming years.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Great draft everyone! I’ll post up my analysis when I have a little more time.

Just to hit on Q’s point, I love how active the chatting is in this league whether it be about hockey or life in general. Such a great group of GMs we’ve got here. Also it was an absolutely pleasure to take in a live game with 2 of you this past weekend even if we were a little more present than the Penguins offense.

Looking forward to defending my title this year. But after this draft, that’s going to be a tall order!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Great draft everyone! I’ll post up my analysis when I have a little more time.

Just to hit on Q’s point, I love how active the chatting is in this league whether it be about hockey or life in general. Such a great group of GMs we’ve got here. Also it was an absolutely pleasure to take in a live game with 2 of you this past weekend even if we were a little more present than the Penguins offense.

Looking forward to defending my title this year. But after this draft, that’s going to be a tall order!
    yes... such a great active group!!

Would love to meet all you in person!

Would be amazing to have a live draft in Vegas or Arizona or somewhere that it is affordable for everyone to get to!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    yes... such a great active group!!

Would love to meet all you in person!

Would be amazing to have a live draft in Vegas or Arizona or somewhere that it is affordable for everyone to get to!!
    I am 100% in for a live draft in Vegas!

Dobber Sports Titan

Or even something like Niagara (Canada's Vegas?) Where it might be a little more central for everyone.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry for posting so late, but wanted to wait until waivers cleared so I could include them in my recap.

I had traded away my first and third round picks last season, but I’m used to not having a lot of early picks in this league. It’s been part of my strategy for icing a competitive team every year in a limited keeper.

I’d like to announce that I’m proud that at least Patrice Bergeron got to retire as a Bruin after a successful championship run in the PQMC. We thank him for his contributions and have raised #37 to the rafters.

Storm’s-a-Bruin keepers heading into the draft –
    F: Mackinnon, Pastrnak, Ovechkin, Marchand, Trocheck, Kyrou
    D: Dobson, Gudas, Deangelo, Lindholm
    G: Vasilevsky
    NA: Kochetkov

With Vasi’s injury and the Canes resigning both Andersen and Raanta, I wasn’t feeling good about my goaltending heading into the draft. But I forgot how little this league tends to value goalies since we can only keep one. EskimoBrother has also demonstrated that it’s possible to win this league while investing little to nothing in goaltenders. But I’ve always invested early and it’s worked well for me.

Round 13, pick 24 – Frederik Andersen
    Honestly, I had Freddy ranked more like 4th on my draft last, but I didn’t put a lot of thought into the order of my top 10 as I didn’t think any would fall to pick 24. 3 goalies went in the first round and I thought I was going to have to mine goalie value late in the draft. But no one picked a goalie in round 2 which left me Andersen and I was very happy about that.

Round 15, pick 45 – Matthew Barzal
    I watched 6 goalies go off the board since taking Andersen and only one of them were ranked above my next G on my list. But I couldn’t pass up Barzal with RW eligibility. Expecting a big bounce back season from him.

Round 15, pick 48 – Mats Zuccarello
    Bringing back another member of last years championship squad. He’s been on and off the SaB team many times the last few years but always a fan favorite. He ensures I’ve got a very strong RW group.

Round 17, pick 72 – Gustav Forsling
    My queue got absolutely decimated through this section with a good mix of solid producers and promising young talent going over the last two rounds. But with Montour and Ekblad out to start the year, Forsling shores up my D and he could even supplant one of my weaker keepers

Round 18, pick 84 – Pavel Zacha
    I really didn’t want to draft another Bruin given I had kept three, but with Couture/Hartman going off the board in this round, I really wanted some C talent. The top line center on the reigning Presidents Trophy champs seemed like the best option.

Round 19, pick 96 – Shayne Gostisbehere
    Still needed a #6 Dman, may as well take the offensive PP specialist. He has a little more talent around him in Detroit than he did in the desert too.

Round 20, pick 104 – Ryan Johansen
    Backup goalies like Schmid and Woll are starting to go. I noticed the Kings tandem on the board still but didn’t want to end up with one and not the other so decided to wait. RyJo should thrive as the #2C on the Avalanche. Worth the flier at this point.

Round 21, pick 114 – Cam Talbot
    I thought about drafting Raanta for the Hurricanes handcuff, especially with Kotch on NA, but knowing I had another pick coming up 6 spots later, I decided to shoot for the LA tandem as well. By this point I was well into my G&T and may not have made the clearest decisions

Round 21, pick 120 – Phoenix Copley
    Success! I scored the LA tandem. Oh shit, that’s going to make fitting Raanta in hard.

Round 22, pick 129 – Michael Rasmussen
    I made the joke in my RHRS draft recap that picking Ras in the last round was going to win me the league. I’m expecting big things from him this year and he performs across all categories. One of the best underrated, late-round, multi-cat guys there is. I knew I couldn’t wait on him til the last round in this league after jogging peoples memories with drafting him in the RHRS.

Round 22, pick 132 – Juraj Slafkovsky
    Last years #1 NHL pick and #4 PQMC pick. This is why I don’t draft rookies early in this league. But I’ll take a flier on a young talent that dropped because of an injury shortened first year.

Round 23, pick 153 – Kaiden Guhle
    So many great young D left on the board right now and this was the last pick in the draft as the rest of the draft slots were classified as NA keepers. Took Guhle as I thought he might have the most trade value. Thought long and hard about shoring up my goaltending with Raanta here.

Post draft moves –
    I traded Guhle straight-up for Chytil (who I’m high on for this year) to someone who’s preranking and autodraft didn’t function properly leaving them short on D. I also liked that I could slide Chytil to IR+ and put in an extra WW claim.
    Claimed Raanta and Addison off of waivers and added Tanev from FA as he plays the first night. May drop him though as there’s a lot of talent still unclaimed on the FA pile.

All in all, it was a super fun draft and I’m happy with my team. There’s some much improved teams around the league this year especially with the dispersal draft thanks to some new managers coming in and teams opting into it. So this should be a very interesting season.

Huge shout out to our commish EskimoBrother and the rest of the managers who make this league so much fun to be a part of. Good luck fellas!