Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Saad for Nylander

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Saad for Nylander

Nylander won't have a problem with opportunity. He makes his own opportunity. He will be on the first line more often than not this coming season.

The Daigle comparison makes no sense. Yes we do know what Saad can produce, but I still go Nylander. Would you take Saad over Eichel too? I mean Eichel hasn't ever had a 60 point season either. It's faulty logic is what it is. Nylander has the higher ceiling, and is very likely to get a good chance to work towards it. Is there a chance that he doesn't hit it? Yes. But there is also a chance that Saad goes through more of the injuries/slumps from last year, and only scores a dozen points this season. You have to go with the choice that gives you the best chance to win, and that is Nylander.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Nylander won't have a problem with opportunity. He makes his own opportunity. He will be on the first line more often than not this coming season.

The Daigle comparison makes no sense. Yes we do know what Saad can produce, but I still go Nylander. Would you take Saad over Eichel too? I mean Eichel hasn't ever had a 60 point season either. It's faulty logic is what it is. Nylander has the higher ceiling, and is very likely to get a good chance to work towards it. Is there a chance that he doesn't hit it? Yes. But there is also a chance that Saad goes through more of the injuries/slumps from last year, and only scores a dozen points this season. You have to go with the choice that gives you the best chance to win, and that is Nylander.
    Daigle wasn't a comparison, more to say that everyone thought he was a sure thing. And as we all know in hockey, nobody is a sure thing until they prove it. That's all I was saying with bringing his name up.

Cheers

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by You Don't Know Jack View Post
    Daigle wasn't a comparison, more to say that everyone thought he was a sure thing. And as we all know in hockey, nobody is a sure thing until they prove it. That's all I was saying with bringing his name up.

Cheers
    Sorry for seeming to jump on you there then. I completely agree with you saying we really don't know until they get there. I think they are getting better at evaluating talent, so I'm pretty content with Nylander here. It will be an interesting choice to come back to though as we see Nylander progress.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Wasn't saying the opportunities won't be there, just that he's going to be eased into the lineup slowly. Babcock isn't really known for throwing young guys into games for 17+ minutes. My advice was based purely around how I honestly see the next couple of seasons going for him, and all the guides and projections I've read so far still only have him playing 2/3 of the season, and coming out nearish 40 pts. I really think in this case for this season Saad is the better own, next season will be closer, but again, they'll both be seeing more minutes either way, and beyond that it's Nylander's game to lose. Again, it really just depends on how people build their lineups, and what the window is. As the OP has said, he's not ready to win now, so Nylander may be his better option. Doesn't mean Nylander is THE better option overall though. Definitely some teams I would rather roster Saad on.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Ace

Unless I'm mistaken, slickricks said he's probably not winning this year. With that in mind, I'll go with Nylander - given you're looking 2,3,4 years down the road.

But I'm with YouDontKnowJack as well -- Nylander is clearly a top prospect - but to suggest 13 points in 22 mean-little games at the end of the season means he'll waltz in as a 50-60 point guy is pushing it. He may do that...but using small sample sizes to project over a full season is a fools errand. Jared McCann had five goals in his first 9 NHL games. He didn't keep that up. Nazem Kadri had 44 in 48 games in teh lockout season...and he's hit 50 once.

So if this was for this year, I'd say keep Saad. But given you're looking down the road (if I'm reading that correctly), then I think it's worth a shot on Nylander.

Dobber Sports Stud

Its imposible to argue with people that use "you cant see into the future" as their argument. Yes we realize that none of us are ms. cleo. the point is projections based on past play skills opportunity and a little bit of luck.

If you never wanna take a "risk" on a prospect then don't. but "you cant see the future" can be used on the flip side of that coin too.

If you dont want eichel matthews laine mcdavid on your team, thats fine I'll take them all
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK
    3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 GOALIE

C: Barzal, Mcdavid, J. Staal, Mackinnon, Matthews,

LW: Guentzal, Lee, J.T Miller, Rakell

RW: Point, Nylander, Perron, Marner, Laine

D: Carlson, Hedman, Petry, Byfuglien, McAvoy

G: M. Jones, Price

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Triplea14 View Post
    Its imposible to argue with people that use "you cant see into the future" as their argument. Yes we realize that none of us are ms. cleo. the point is projections based on past play skills opportunity and a little bit of luck.

If you never wanna take a "risk" on a prospect then don't. but "you cant see the future" can be used on the flip side of that coin too.

If you dont want eichel matthews laine mcdavid on your team, thats fine I'll take them all
    Not sure if this was directed towards me or not. I feel that I've been pretty clear as to why I predict their outlooks the way I do, and actually have agreed with you beyond the 1-2 year window. I also agree that Nylander likely has the higher trade value unless something terrible happens.

Either way, at no point was I trying to argue, never really do on the forums. I just offered my perspective.
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther

Dobber Sports Stud

nope not directed at you or anyone in particular. i dont "fall for" the prospect hype but eventually you have to take the risk. its exciting. could miss out on bigtime players if we just go off proven nhl experience. Its kinda like a kid coming out of university top of their class but not being able to find a job because everyone is looking for someone with all the exact same qualifications but 10 years experience. hahaha
    nothing negative implied thats just the way i try attack it
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Triplea14 View Post
    nope not directed at you or anyone in particular. i dont "fall for" the prospect hype but eventually you have to take the risk. its exciting. could miss out on bigtime players if we just go off proven nhl experience. Its kinda like a kid coming out of university top of their class but not being able to find a job because everyone is looking for someone with all the exact same qualifications but 10 years experience. hahaha
    nothing negative implied thats just the way i try attack it
    My bad for misreading then!

I'm all for going for whatever fits your window to win, and taking advantage of value through trading to others' needs. Gotta know your own windows and plans though, cause when you deviate from your plan, that's when you end up in the constant rebuild mode.
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    15 Player Farm Team

Dobber Sports Stud

The alexander Daigle comment got me started. These are professional scouts and players. No one can ever know mentally or injury wise what is going to happen. Doesn't mean you ignore them.
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head

Dobber Sports Prodigy

But Stan, why you so mad?

Dobber Sports Ace

You need to calm down, bud.

We're giving opinions on choosing between Saad and Nylander, and almost all - from both sides of the coin - have been well thought out and presented.

You clearly think Nylander is going to be amazing - and that's your right to feel that way. Some of us think Saad might be a better option, based on the fact he's been there, done that...and Nylander is a rookie. This may surprise you, but not all rookies jump right in and become 55 point players, even if they have an amazing 22-game stint under their belt in the previous season.

I'm sorry you disagree with that.

Maybe instead of writing sweeping generalizations about how some people don't want to "take a risk", you should take your Maple Leaf-coloured glasses off and realize that Nylander is simply a high pick who may be good right away....or may not be.

The Great One

By the time Nylander proves his 'worth' he will be worth two Saad's.

Some poolies like to wait for production and then over pay. I prefer to gamble A BIT (especially with high end prospects, like Nylander) and shoot for the stars.

The Great One

Discounting Panarin, cause he's a weird rookie, when was the last time a rookie posted 60+ in a season?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

Hahahahahahahahahaha settle
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head