Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Saad for Nylander

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Saad for Nylander

I have been approached by a gm wanting to trade his W.Nylander for Brandon Saad. They would both be our 15th protect from expansion. We count goals,a, shots, blockshot,hit pp and shp. Should I take this deal? Right now I say yes since saad I feel is a 60 point guy where Nylander may become a 70+ guy in a few years. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Saad for Nylander

If you are in win-now mode, then I probably wouldn't pull the trigger on this. If you don't think you are going to be competitive for another year or two, then go ahead and take the deal.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    If you are in win-now mode, then I probably wouldn't pull the trigger on this. If you don't think you are going to be competitive for another year or two, then go ahead and take the deal.
    Pretty much the same as what 4T2 said. I think you have the point upsides pegged as well, but there's almost no way that Nylander hits 70 this season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

I agree with the aforementioned. Saad is in the NHL now, generating. Nylander is a year or more away. For the "Now", go with Saad. For the "Future", and a bit more upside in my opinon, pull the trigger and get Nylander.
    Column writer at @GoaliePost

https://goaliepost.com/

An avid Chicago sports fan. Craft beer connoisseur. Fantasy sports addict.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd hold onto Saad as well. Nylander has the higher ceiling, sure; but Saad is an established player at this point. We've got a good idea of what he's going to do, and know he's going to be given the opportunities. Plus, Toronto is a couple years away from really having all their ducks in a row, and I don't expect anyone on the team to approach 60+, let alone 70 points until next season at the absolute earliest.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Titan

I’d do it. Saad isn’t a 60pt guy; he’s a 50-55pt point guy (I know, splitting hairs). And his usage is going to drop every yr as the young offensive CBJ keep developing.

Nylander I think has the future potential of 70-75pts, but not when you have Matthews and Marner playing. They’ll all cycle through being the top dog, and there’s only so much TOI to spread around (top dog as in offensively). They’ll likely have that TBL type of offensive numbers (60-70s, no 80s).

I’d take Nylander, and maybe cash in a sell high once he’s doing really well. I’d take the gamble. It’s only your last keeper anyways.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Yeah I'm not winning I don't believe now so I definitely could wait. We start 9 forwards and right now saad is #10 as my regular 9 may end up being Schiefle monohan j-hockey barkov hoffman bergeron jenner fabbri Laine. Would that starting 9 help with the gamble side of going with Nylander??

Dobber Sports Ace

I still don't think I'd go for it. I'm much more of a "proven over potential" kind of poolie though. I also try not to look more than two seasons ahead most of the time. Sure, three or four seasons down the road Nylander will potentially be outproducing Saad; but Saad stands to gain more PP time when Hartnell leaves Columbus, plus he stands to be part of a better system when Torts leaves as well. I think Saad's potential to improve keeps him in line with Nylander's development in production long enough that this would be at best a lateral move, and more likely a setback towards being competitive.

Like OG said though, if your intent would be to flip Nylander to a Leafs homer or another rebuilding team, I think he'd carry more trade value. So if you're not looking to use one of these two guys to replace Bergeron in your top 9 as he starts declining, maybe make the deal and start shopping him if/when he hits a hot streak sometime this season.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Yeah I'm starting to think I'll still be better off with saad. The only other thing he said was possibly bujstad but I feel he's in same boat as Nylander

Dobber Sports Wizard

Since both Saad and Nylander would just be on your bench, I would go with the higher upside in Nylander. I believe he will have a great rookie season and his value will only go up from now, so jump on this while you still can.

Yeah I'm still torn on what to do. I know of a leaf Homer in my league so that could be a possibility. Also with 2 expansion teams he may look good for somebody I prefer more like kyle Connor

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'll take Nylander for Saad this year even if I'm in win now. I don't think there will be much if any production difference between them by seasons end. Nylander will likely be streakier than Saad. but they'll both end up north of 50 this year and Nylander will continue to rise, whereas, I don't really see Saad going much beyond 55 outside of a one off career year

this year:
    Nylander/Saad 50-55

Next year Nylander 60-65
    Saad 55.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Slickricks View Post
    Yeah I'm starting to think I'll still be better off with saad. The only other thing he said was possibly bujstad but I feel he's in same boat as Nylander
    If the other owner mentioned bujstad for Nylander... I would definitely follow up on that. Try not to come across as too excited.. but if you can swing that deal... that would be huge!

No it would be a substitute where I'd give up saad for bujgstad. I have till the 21st so I will let the info you guys have given to me sink in and hope I make a good decision

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Slickricks View Post
    No it would be a substitute where I'd give up saad for bujgstad. I have till the 21st so I will let the info you guys have given to me sink in and hope I make a good decision
    Oh my bad, mis-read then. I would not do that for sure. Prefer Nylander over Bujstad for sure.