Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Roy leaving Colorado

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Roy leaving Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    If he quits his job, does he still get paid? I would think not but I don't know if that is true. I can't think of any job I have ever had that if I quit, the organization would continue to pay me for as long as my contract was for.
    As far as I know, he still gets paid. A contract is a contract whether he quits or gets fired.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    If he quits his job, does he still get paid? I would think not but I don't know if that is true. I can't think of any job I have ever had that if I quit, the organization would continue to pay me for as long as my contract was for.
    I think it is just like as if he were fired... its different then most contracts for most employment places.

Dobber Sports Genius

SAKIC: "Patrick, do you have any thoughts about the team as it sits right now? On paper I think we are looking pretty good. We just need to get everyone together and start to control the play on the ice."
    ROY: "These guys all suck. All of them. Let's trade Duchene, Landeskog, Barrie. Fcuk it, trade them all. How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"
    SAKIC: "I'll explore some options but I think that these players are all pretty good"
    ROY: "The only good player on this team is Blake Comeau!"
    SAKIC:"Sigh"
    ROY: "Barrie wants how much?!?!?! He's a 6th D"
    SAKIC: "He is looking for the market rate"
    ROY: "Market rate for a 6th D is just over a million."
    SAKIC: "We just signed Barrie for $5.5M x 4"
    ROY: "Come on man! You'll give him that but won't even pony up for a couple years of Radulov?!?!"
    SAKIC: "I thought were done talking about this."
    ROY: "I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met."
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm late on getting into this Forum (didn't read past pages) but I have a couple responses.

Sad:
    - Can't make fun of my friends who are avs fans now, especially if they make the playoffs
    - Can't laugh at how poor the team structure is

Good:
    - I own MacKinnon in a pool, yay.
    - I own Barrie in another pool, yay.
    - They will be a pretty good team to watch now, hopefully they get an exciting coach.

Coaching guesses:
    - Travis Green
    - The guy that coached CBJ before they hired Tortz (I forget his name)
    - Troy Mann (may enjoy Hershey too much)
    - Todd Nelson
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Piss the fans off by trading PK.

Make the fans happy by bringing Roy in as Head Coach??

LOL! I wonder how many Habs fans would truly be happy about that.
    I know I would!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Giant

As far as I know, he still gets paid. A contract is a contract whether he quits or gets fired.
    Huh? How does that work? Any coach would quit after signing a long-term contract if he still gets paid for walking away!?! Can it really be true??
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    he was an ******* on the ice and in the room towards teammates. He has a huge ego and cared about the Subban brand, not the Habs. People are incredibly, incredibly naive if they think PK's attitude and laissez-faire style wasn't the reason he was shipped out.

I laugh at all the sheeple who think he's an innocent person in all of this.
    Good thing you were in the room to be able to accurately report that too.

- - - Updated - - -

That's just it. He still has a year left on his contract so he doesn't have to jump at anything. He can sit back and wait it out.
    I don't understand. He stepped down/quit. Doesn't that void his contract?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I would guess this relates to an early post about Sakic and Roy relationship and the opportunity Sakic might have given Roy to 'save-face'

Sakic tells Roy he wants a new coach so he can either resign and be fired. In this agreement, Roy is smart and ensures that the final year of his contract is to be paid out.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Well, as the tweet from Lebrun states, he still has a year left on his contract so I guess it doesn't void anything.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Conspiracy - Yesterday Montreal announces that Price will have a reduced game load... Price and Montreal ownership does not like this idea... ownership calls Roy...Roy steps down.... To be continued....

My guess... Therrien gets the option to step down, or gets fired... Ownership suggest hiring Roy, Roy as a former goalie decides to play Price as much as Price was used to before injury... everyone happy... (haha. extremely unlikely, but it is the middle of summer and I was bored)
    IT GOES DEEPER: Roy was Radulov's coach when he played in the Q
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Superstar

It doesn't make any sense that he would continue to get paid for quitting.

Kind of seems like they wanted him gone, but his ego wouldn't allow him to be fired, so they mutually agreed that he could announce he's "stepping away from the team" but at the same time will continue to get paid for the remaining year on his contract.

I imagine this should be made a little more clear before too long.... hopefully....

Dobber Sports Superstar

Generally speaking (Almost always) an employee doesn't get paid when the employee (Roy) terminates the contract. In theory, given that Roy is under contract for another year the Avs could try to force him to honor the terms of the contract. Practically, they will accept Roy's breach (by leaving) as a repudiation and accept the repudiation meaning the Avs owe him no further compensation. On top of that, if Roy were to try and take another coaching job in the NHL they would have a strong argument that would prevent Roy from competing with the Avs for the duration of the original contract.

Conversely, if the Employer terminates the contract then they are still obligated to pay the employee (Roy) for the remainder of the contract. This is why being a fired professional sports coach is basically amazing, you get paid millions of dollars a year to NOT work; in fact if you do find another job you are obligated to re-pay every dollar you earn elsewhere to the team that fired you. This is why you often see teams take steps to try and get a coach to quit. If he quits no further pay, if he's fired full payment for the remainder of the deal.

Now perhaps both sides dug-in and Roy agreed to leave but only if he was paid and got to say he was quitting. If that is the case then maybe he's getting paid-out. If he truly quit on his own he shouldn't be entitled to any further pay. Given what we know of Roy I suspect he felt he was either slighted, or knew he was going to be fired, and in term pre-emptily quit to save his pride.

In short, Roy is almost certainly not getting paid beyond today, the Avs will agree to terminate his contract and both will go there separate ways.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    SAKIC: "Patrick, do you have any thoughts about the team as it sits right now? On paper I think we are looking pretty good. We just need to get everyone together and start to control the play on the ice."
    ROY: "These guys all suck. All of them. Let's trade Duchene, Landeskog, Barrie. Fcuk it, trade them all. How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"
    SAKIC: "I'll explore some options but I think that these players are all pretty good"
    ROY: "The only good player on this team is Blake Comeau!"
    SAKIC:"Sigh"
    ROY: "Barrie wants how much?!?!?! He's a 6th D"
    SAKIC: "He is looking for the market rate"
    ROY: "Market rate for a 6th D is just over a million."
    SAKIC: "We just signed Barrie for $5.5M x 4"
    ROY: "Come on man! You'll give him that but won't even pony up for a couple years of Radulov?!?!"
    SAKIC: "I thought were done talking about this."
    ROY: "I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met."
    Where were you on my fly on the wall thread?????
    10 Team Yahoo Roto Keeper:Keep 6 each year
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

RW: Kucherov
    G: Helly

Dobber Sports Guru

Just heard that Sakic had no idea this was coming. Sakic is on a week-long vacation and only found out today while on that vacation.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Roy will get another gig and it will be interesting to see which Roy we see - year one coaching genius or the guy that seemed to make all the wrong decisions. Personally if he lands in Montreal Carey Price has the ability to paper over a lot of cracks for any coach and we may see him return as a coaching genius...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.