Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Roy leaving Colorado

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Roy leaving Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Roy will get another gig and it will be interesting to see which Roy we see - year one coaching genius or the guy that seemed to make all the wrong decisions. Personally if he lands in Montreal Carey Price has the ability to paper over a lot of cracks for any coach and we may see him return as a coaching genius...
    That was the year they had a massive PDO / Varlamov saved everything to a ridiculous venzina worthy rate and they had a sky high shooting percentage. Roy had nothing to do with it, since when the team shoorting percentage and goalie save percentage came back to normal, well you saw that in year 2 and 3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    The whole award is a farce. Most actual good coaches never win it. See Joel Quenneville, aka the actual best coach in hockey.
    I guess having a stacked team does make you look like a good coach
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    That was the year they had a massive PDO / Varlamov saved everything to a ridiculous venzina worthy rate and they had a sky high shooting percentage. Roy had nothing to do with it, since when the team shoorting percentage and goalie save percentage came back to normal, well you saw that in year 2 and 3

- - - Updated - - -

I guess having a stacked team does make you look like a good coach
    Stacked team? In a salary cap era? You're really gonna try to play that card? Dude. That's not a good look.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Stacked team? In a salary cap era? You're really gonna try to play that card? Dude. That's not a good look.
    Just a guess.. but I think what he meant by stacked was a team full of players that are playing above their head and getting the bounces.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Just a guess.. but I think what he meant by stacked was a team full of players that are playing above their head and getting the bounces.
    And if so, that's fair. But to call any team stacked on personnel is well. Yea.

And if so, that's fair. But to call any team stacked on personnel is well. Yea.
    I completely agree... unless we are looking at World Cup teams which is a complete different story haha

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd say "stacked" in terms of the salary cap era, but I could have used a different word. They did win 3 cups in 6(?) years. Usually you are like that when you have top talent at all positions.

Is he a great coach: yes, but does his roster hide some coaching errors that other teams with lesser talent get exposed on: yes. I am saying he has had one of the better NHL rosters to use during his Chicago tenure
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

The Great One

I guess, who would be your choice? Babsocks? That's a joke. Everyone loves throwing praise a Babcock for winning in the Olympics with the best teams in history, but Queneville just minds his business and actually wins. Sure it takes other parts, management, players, etc. But the coach matters.
    Tbh I wasn't - I was looking at Trotz as my probable example but that's the point isn't it. Yes the Hawks team kind of got dismantled every cup run but when you look at the guys that have been there for the 3 that's a pretty heady nucleus to build around
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    and there are other teams who have had Vezina trophy goalies amd still had accolades as great coaches at the time.. Isn't the role of the coach, in its simplest terms, to put players in a position to succeed and in that one season that's what happened? They succeeded? Remember all the praise Hartley had for the up ge,op style the Flames played when they made the play offs? Same with the Sens when they made the play offs etc. Coaching is a fickle world - it's the only position where if you win its on the team but if you lose its all on you...

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Tbh I wasn't - I was looking at Trotz as my probable example but that's the point isn't it. Yes the Hawks team kind of got dismantled every cup run but when you look at the guys that have been there for the 3 that's a pretty heady nucleus to build around
    I'd then compare to the team Trotz just lost with, which was easily the best team in the NHL with no discernible weakness. But I'd put him close to JQ, closer than Babcock.

The Great One

Their biggest weakness was mental but I'd say they lost to a better team than the Hawks did this season... All conjecture though. Think it just goes in with my thoughts when we saw the list of best coaches/GMs the other week. It's often perceived that winning teams have the best coaches (as you point out Babcock) but if it hadn't have been for Hasek and the Czechs Crawford would have won and where would his star have been afterwards?

Is Roy still part of that team in the QMJHL??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Is Roy still part of that team in the QMJHL??
    No, he sold his shares in the team a couple years ago to media conglomerate, Quebecor Inc.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."