Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOLTBY not taken in Keeper! Do I grab him with my 2nd overall pick?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default HOLTBY not taken in Keeper! Do I grab him with my 2nd overall pick?

Hey guys, so HOLTBY isn't taken for my keeper league. And I've been trying to figure out if I should pick him up with my 2nd overall pick? Or is it too early to pick him up? Thanks for the input.
    Keeper Pool 1

6 Person keepe league H2H
    5 Keepers
    1pt G&A for F&D
    extra pt for PPP
    extra pt for GWG
    2pts Goalie Win
    3 extra pts for Goalie SO
    START 12F 6D 2G

KEEPERS
    Tarasenko- Gaudreau- Karlsson- Eichel- Laine

Keeper Pool 2

10 Person Keeper League H2H
    2 points for G,SHG,SHA,GWG
    1 point for A,PPG,PPA,
    3 points for GOALIE WIN
    2 extra points for SO
    1 extra point for OT Loss
    START 12F 7D 2G

KEEPERS
    McDavid-Eichel-Kucherov-Marner-Karlsson

If you ain't first your last!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: HOLTBY not taken in Keeper! Do I grab him with my 2nd overall pick?

I think most of us were for it in your other thread. So in my eyes the pro Holtby side starts with a lead of a few votes.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

No doubt. He is the goalie for the presidents trophy winning team and is one of the top 3 in the NHL. No Brainer unless McDavid is available. (and he's not, in any keeper league)
    12 team league, Keep 12 skaters and 2 goalies, yahoo league, start 3 lw, 3 c, 3 rw, 6 d, 2 goalies, head to head, roto
    6 or 7 total bench players? Not 100% sure. Draft 9/22/15
    Categories: Goals, Assists, +/-, SOG, PPP, Hits, and Blocks. Goalie Categories: Wins, GAA, SV%, and Shutouts.
    Forwards: S. Stamkos, P. Kane, A. Kopitar, A. Barkov, N. Foligno, N. Kucherov, O. Palat, W. Simmonds, J. Drouin, N. Foligno, E. Kuznetsov, and D. Stepan.
    Goalies: M. Jones, J. Gibson
    Defense: Rasmus Ristolainen

Dobber Sports Icon

Saw your other thread too. Given that info I would say that Holtby is a no-brainer to take with the #2 pick.

Just for future reference, the easiest way for you to get feedback on a post like this would be for you to figure out who the best available players are and post a list of who you are debating on. I highly doubt anyone would compare to Holtby in this case, but it's just a thought for future questions you may have.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

YESSSS!!!!! Don't overt think this.

at 2 points for a win, the goalie that is likely going to get the most wins, or close to it again... should be a keeper!

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm actually surprised that you think he will make it to you at 2nd overall.... take him if the opportunity comes to you.

In a league as small as yours, you need players that are in a tier above to separate yourself, since everyone's rosters are full of all-stars. Holtby + Karlsson give you a huge positional advantage. If you had a shot at McDavid or Price is the only others I'd be considering.

Dobber Sports Giant

An easy Yes for me. Holtby can oupoint Gaudreau and Stamkos in your format on a given year as his numbers are easier to hit IMO (44W and 6SO = 106pts... 30g, 45a, 25ppp, 6GWG = 106pts). For a forward to hit 106 points, he needs to get those game winners and PPP up which are harder to come by than a SO in my opinion. As a member of the Caps, I'm pretty confident Holtby will continue his current trend as he is entering his prime years. He would be a keeper for me over one of those at the end of next year if you scoop him up with your 2nd.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    If you had a shot at McDavid or Price is the only others I'd be considering.
    Agreed! I doubt they are non-keepers, but if Holtby is one of them, who knows!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Icon

i know i said Matthews or Laine in the other thread, but i think you need to take Holtby here instead.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW)
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-
    NTP - Leonard, Perrault

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Saw your other thread too. Given that info I would say that Holtby is a no-brainer to take with the #2 pick.

Just for future reference, the easiest way for you to get feedback on a post like this would be for you to figure out who the best available players are and post a list of who you are debating on. I highly doubt anyone would compare to Holtby in this case, but it's just a thought for future questions you may have.

I appreciate the advice. Still new to forums. Trying to get as much tips as possible haha.

So, I went and looked at the final pool points for players and goalies. With our point system, Kane finished with 165 points followed by Benn with 135. Holtby finished with 112 points followed by Quick with 100. That's current point system. Our league voted and we agreed that SO being rare we moved to SO being worth and extra 3 points as opposed to the 1pt extra we had last season. Since the top scorers are taken I looked at Panarin and Wheeler and the got 117 and 111. So I now realize that Holtby will be the perfect choice for my number 2 pick. Thanks for the feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the tips and feedback guys. Greatly appreciated.
    Keeper Pool 1

5 Keepers
    1pt G&A for F&D
    extra pt for PPP
    extra pt for GWG
    2pts Goalie Win
    START 12F 6D 2G

KEEPERS

Keeper Pool 2

1 point for A,PPG,PPA,
    3 points for GOALIE WIN
    2 extra points for SO
    START 12F 7D 2G

KEEPERS

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Answer is actually NO (on Holtby) for me.
    If I'm reading this right... there is only 6 people in this league, drafting 12F, 6D, 2G.

Total counting players:
    72F
    36D
    12G

Those are your key league numbers.
    Go find out what the NHL #73F scores every year... probably 45pts or so.
    Go find out what the NHL #37D scores year year... probably 30pts or so.
    Go find out what the NHL #13G scores every year... probably 32W, 5SO = 79pts or so.
    This is the type of player you can get at the end of your draft... or snipe from the waiver wire all year.

We all love Holtby from last year, just like we all loved Price from the year before, Rask from the year before that, and Lundqvist the year before that.
    These elite goalies can have that magical 45+ W year... but they are all going to come back down to a 38-40W goalie with 5-6 SO eventually.

The big question in your league is always based on "relative difference".
    What is on the board?

If you have the choice between a 70pt forward... and knowing you could get a 45pt forward at end of draft... that's +25pt relative difference.
    If you have the choice between a 55pt defenseman... and knowing you could get a 30pt defenseman at end of draft... that's +25pt relative difference.
    And Holtby, as an elite goalie, should be considered 40W, 6SO = 98pts... so what's left at end of draft? You take him if he's more than +25pt difference... 73pts... well all you need is a 30W, 4SO goalie... can you find that in the 13th best goalie in your league? That's about what the NHL 13th best goalie is going to do each year.

So it's close.
    But there IS a reason why the 5 other teams in your league have passed on Holtby... and this is why.
    Good luck.
    Make the choice that feels RIGHT to you... that's the one you'll enjoy best.

The Great One

But does Holtby carry the most trade value if he selects 3 goalies?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Answer is actually NO (on Holtby) for me.
    If I'm reading this right... there is only 6 people in this league, drafting 12F, 6D, 2G.

Total counting players:
    72F
    36D
    12G

Those are your key league numbers.
    Go find out what the NHL #73F scores every year... probably 45pts or so.
    Go find out what the NHL #37D scores year year... probably 30pts or so.
    Go find out what the NHL #13G scores every year... probably 32W, 5SO = 79pts or so.
    This is the type of player you can get at the end of your draft... or snipe from the waiver wire all year.

We all love Holtby from last year, just like we all loved Price from the year before, Rask from the year before that, and Lundqvist the year before that.
    These elite goalies can have that magical 45+ W year... but they are all going to come back down to a 38-40W goalie with 5-6 SO eventually.

The big question in your league is always based on "relative difference".
    What is on the board?

If you have the choice between a 70pt forward... and knowing you could get a 45pt forward at end of draft... that's +25pt relative difference.
    If you have the choice between a 55pt defenseman... and knowing you could get a 30pt defenseman at end of draft... that's +25pt relative difference.
    And Holtby, as an elite goalie, should be considered 40W, 6SO = 98pts... so what's left at end of draft? You take him if he's more than +25pt difference... 73pts... well all you need is a 30W, 4SO goalie... can you find that in the 13th best goalie in your league? That's about what the NHL 13th best goalie is going to do each year.

So it's close.
    But there IS a reason why the 5 other teams in your league have passed on Holtby... and this is why.
    Good luck.
    Make the choice that feels RIGHT to you... that's the one you'll enjoy best.

thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I'll do. I've been in fantasy hockey for awhile now and I've never thought to check it out that way. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    But does Holtby carry the most trade value if he selects 3 goalies?
    I belive he would.
    Keeper Pool 1

5 Keepers
    1pt G&A for F&D
    extra pt for PPP
    extra pt for GWG
    2pts Goalie Win
    START 12F 6D 2G

KEEPERS

Keeper Pool 2

1 point for A,PPG,PPA,
    3 points for GOALIE WIN
    2 extra points for SO
    START 12F 7D 2G

KEEPERS

Dobber Sports Demi-God

re: Holtby having trade value as a 3rd G.
    No (my opinion).
    Besides there only being a top 12G in play... there could be a bunch of other goalies outside of the top 12 that, on any given night, may be a more attractive option.

Say Halak (NYI) are playing against TOR...
    While Holtby (WAS) are playing against PIT...
    Who is the more likely win?

Debatable, I suppose... but the point is that there are goalies #13-#60 in the NHL that could, on any given night, have more value than Holtby
    This isn't going to happen with skaters much.
    If Stamkos is playing (even against NJ) and Bobby Ryan is playing against TOR... is anybody really starting Ryan over Stamkos? Probably not. (Well, maybe one forum member - but that's all)

In other words, with so many goalies "not counting", it makes for a depth of player pool that can be plucked at any given time.
    Quick example: Scott Darling. If Corey Crawford goes down with injury... Darling has immediate upper tier goalie value in this league.

This sort of league is the one where Holtby has his lowest value... because the "relative difference" to the "floor" of counting goalies is not that far away (NHL Goalie #13... on ANY GIVEN NHL NIGHT).

The Great One

I hear what you are saying.. I would just think if a guy leaves drafting his goalies late he may be blinded to give up 'more' for Holtby whilst the OP takes your advice and drafts a couple late as the fall off won't be as great.... Just a slightly different thought process really
    Experience is the teacher of all things.