Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The where does JIMMY VESEY sign game (for rep)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: The where does JIMMY VESEY sign game (for rep)

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Personally, I think Vesey is burning some bridges by being so fickle about where he starts his career.
    I don't think it's lost among NHL players when somebody decides they don't want to play somewhere particular.
    I mean, c'mon... 99%+ of players drafted accept the industry - some club invests in you, you play for them.

IMO, Vesey becomes a primadonna in the same class as Lindros or Justin Schultz for this sort of thing.
    He should've just played with Nashville. (I'll give him an out on Buffalo though - because he was obviously branded by that time as being stubborn).

For me, he needs to pick a location where the NHL coverage doesn't continue to pinpoint the situation he dictated upon himself.

New Jersey for me.
    That's as close to out-of-the-limelight, yet full of opportunity, that he can get.
    If he can put up points there, then he can go seeking a bigger contract with the team he wants later in his career.
    It is not prima donna at all. He was very vocal about wanting to be the first family member to graduate from university. In fact, it was his lifelong dream. Harvard to boot. A harvard degree all but guarantees life after hockey.

This is a kid from a working class blue collar neighborhood whom has no family members who ever graduated from University. And he is graduating from Harvard on scholarships.

According to the family, Poile tried to strongarm him into giving up his dream and signing early and finishing his degrees online(No graduation if you do this). Got very pushy in fact. Hard to blame poile since it is his job to make sure he does not lose a good prospect, but it probably worked against him in this situation because he did not take into account how passionate this kid was about graduating.

Christ, the kid's father was drafted by the blues, but insisted on getting a minor college degree "Just in case" and a good thing he did since Jim Vesey played 15 NHL games total in his career and made very little money in hockey.

So yeah, he was a dink for telling them he would sign then changing his mind once he realized he had control of his destiny. But he is not Lindros level bad.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Monster

I was thinking maybe next offseason we could expand this to be a free agency game - have everyone enter guesses before June 29th or something, then calculate the scores at the end of the offseason right before training camp to determine the winner. Could be good banter and provide some light entertainment during summer. Plus, it's in our nature to turn everything NHL into a game somehow

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Stud

Does anyone else think that Vessey and Radulov are the 2 most overrated assets in fantasy heading into this fall?

I don't think either will produce anywhere close to the expectations at all
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    Does anyone else think that Vessey and Radulov are the 2 most overrated assets in fantasy heading into this fall?

I don't think either will produce anywhere close to the expectations at all
    I am in the group that thinks Radulov won't hit the loftier expectations, however I don't think it will be completely terrible. Vesey is tough, because he is getting a lot of talk recently with his FA date approaching, so it may seem that he is being overrated. No one is expecting him to break in and be a PPG player right off the bat. He has the tools to do well, but as with everyone, there will be growing pains. The sole talk about them may drive up the hype, but hype is different than expectations, and I don't feel that those are getting too bloated.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Toronto so he can be with his dad!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    re: Vesey.
    There's Nashville.
    There's Buffalo.
    There's wherever he signs.
    And then there's everybody else in the NHL that sucked it up and played out their ELC an their other 4 years (or until 27) with WHOEVER DRAFTED THEM.
    And THAT... is 99% of the NHL player base.
    99% of the NHL player base is likely a bit high. It's probably close to 10% of all NHL players were never drafted.

NHL teams also only sign (this is a guess) 75% of the players they draft. No one bad mouths these teams when they don't sign a player even though they drafted him. If a drafted player is expected to sign with the team that drafts them then should the team that drafts a player not be expected to sign the guy as well? This works both ways.

Let's recap Nashville's 2012 draft picks

Pontus Aberg - signed a contract
    Colton Sissons - signed a contract
    Jimmy Vesey - never signed to a contract
    Brendan Leipsic - signed a contract
    Zachary Stepan - never signed a contract
    Mikko Vainonen - signed a contract then had it mutually agreed to be terminated
    Simon Fernholm - never signed a contract
    Max Gortz - signed a contract
    Marek Mazanec - signed a contract

Of the 9 people the Predators drafted in 2012, 3 of them were not signed to a contract. My favorite is Zachary Stepan as had he decided not to go back to school next fall, he would be an NHL free agent this summer. No one is talking about him and how he's taking advantage of the college loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Of the 9 people the Predators drafted in 2012, 3 of them were not signed to a contract. My favorite is Zachary Stepan as had he decided not to go back to school next fall, he would be an NHL free agent this summer. No one is talking about him and how he's taking advantage of the college loophole.
    You like Stepan more then Vesey?? I just looked up Stepan's stats, they were very underwhelming..

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    You like Stepan more then Vesey?? I just looked up Stepan's stats, they were very underwhelming..
    Not at all. I am just saying that people have negative thoughts about Vesey because he chose to become a UFA this summer yet no one is talking about all the other people who become UFAs when the teams that draft them do not offer them contracts. Stepan is just an example of someone who is in the exact same position as Vesey yet no one is saying he's being "fickle" for not having an NHL contract.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Not at all. I am just saying that people have negative thoughts about Vesey because he chose to become a UFA this summer yet no one is talking about all the other people who become UFAs when the teams that draft them do not offer them contracts. Stepan is just an example of someone who is in the exact same position as Vesey yet no one is saying he's being "fickle" for not having an NHL contract.
    Ohhhhhhhh ok, I understand that now.. These rules should be changed.. Kids that are drafted should go and play that team and the league should remove the opportunity for this other rubbish!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Meh, all the NHL big wigs talk about how hockey is a business. Well that cuts both ways guys. I commend anyone taking the path less travelled when presented with their options rather than go the way everyone else does out of sheer peer pressure. Takes balls, uh, I mean intestinal fortitude, yeah that's it.

The only part not to like is if Vesey gave his word he would sign, then he should be true to his word.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

This has become an interesting thread. Its good to read how folks feel rather than to hear some media report.
    The sentiment is clearly for Boston, but I honestly do not see the logic behind JV signing there for hockey reasons. For family, comfort and familiarity reasons I get it, but he will not get much competitive ice time in bean town. Obviously its just my opinion but I try to call things as I see them.
    For ice time I think his best choice is the Devils, but for both competition and comradeship I think NYR is the best fit, with Toronto offering the "get on board" with the rising tide and finally Buffalo giving him a top 6 slot if and when Kane gets moved.
    The kid certainly has quite a number of options which will make it more likely that other players will follow in the pattern.
    Best of luck everyone, if we all chip in on rep it could be a nice bonus for the winning post(s)
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Icon

while i'm not a fan of Vesey and this play....although i totally understand its his right to do so under the CBA and such...if he comes to me at draft day i would have a hard time refusing him.

i think he signs in Boston when this is all said and done.

if we all chip in on rep it could be a nice bonus for the winning post(s)
    i'm in for chipping in the Rep
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm going to go with New Jersey. It's just a feeling. Plus with Hall joining the club it would be a nice move in the right direction. Also, I'm likely going to draft Schneider as my goalie in our upcoming auction draft so any upsides to New Jersey getting better would be a great benefit to me haha.

Dobber Sports Titan

According to Adrian Dater (can't find a link for it) Vesey has narrowed down his list to the Leafs and Blackhawks.

If that is indeed the case, my Boston pick is wrong, and it is going to be between going to a cup contender or a rebuild. Big fantasy difference too for next season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    According to Adrian Dater (can't find a link for it) Vesey has narrowed down his list to the Leafs and Blackhawks.

If that is indeed the case, my Boston pick is wrong, and it is going to be between going to a cup contender or a rebuild. Big fantasy difference too for next season.
    I have also read that NJ was in there.. he would get a top 6 role there for sure