Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jay's acquire F Liirano

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Jay's acquire F Liirano

Liriano, the #8, and the #9 prospects in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization, all for Drew Hutchison?? Well I'm a fan and I definitely like it!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Liriano, the #8, and the #9 prospects in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization, all for Drew Hutchison?? Well I'm a fan and I definitely like it!!
    And the salary next year though....but still they're going to need guys to fill out their rotation and throw some innings.

Definitely not a fan of leading the MLB in walks.....but hopefully Martin can get him back on track.

Dobber Sports Titan

With Dickey gone next yr, the dollar figure next yr means nothing to me. Our Starting rotation is set next yr (Happ, Liriano, Estrada, Sanchez, Stroman), and that’s for the first time like in 15yrs you can say our rotation is set nicely. Which is nice when Iwakuma is the biggest SP free agent next yr.

RP, Jansen, Melancon, F-Rod, Chapman, Casilia, Ziegler out there in next yrs FA, I like setting your rotation now and maybe try and get one of those guys. And Osuna (don’t quote me I was told by a friend) has said he wants to be a relief pitcher for his career, so he’s set to be a closer/setup guy. He likely wants to be a closer because, no one says I want to be a setup man tho.

McGuire (catcher) and Ramirez (OF) become the Jays 4th/5th best prospects respectfully. McGuire is the 5th best catcher prospect, and Ramirez came into camp out of shape and got a leg injury so this season his totals are low, but he’s hitting 304 this yr.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Really happy about this trade.

Dobber Sports Titan

I have liked Liriano for a few years now. Really hoping he can get back to his form of a few years ago, but worst case scenario we traded Hutch for Hutch 2.0, prospects, and took on salary.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Expert

Bottom line Liriano is having a BAD YEAR, ThIS YEAR. Before that he was solid. Can Martin & Walker get him back on track? Who knows.

This deal had two things about it. It was a salary move for the Pirates. And ultimately Liriano(Unless he somehow all of a sudden gets his magic back) is destined for the bullpen. Where he would be a nasty 2 pitch pitcher. I totally agree with Dirk Heyhurst sentiments below.

Also while I don't think Ramariz will amount to much, McGuire, who Ive followed for a while, is very intriguing(And ofcourse Pirates have Diaz in the minors ahead of him in the pecking order.)

Heres Dirk's comments via TSN;

The Toronto Blue Jays stated that an “arm” was a priority for them this trade deadline, and that turned out to be the truth. The Jays acquired three pitchers before the close of the trade deadline, each with a role to play in the team’s push for the post season.

For many Jays fans, the most recognizable addition is Francisco Liriano, former battery mate of Jays backstop, Russell Martin when both players were with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Here’s hoping the pair’s reunion brings back some of the old magic, because the 2016 version of Liriano leaves a lot to be desired!
    Let’s just get this out of the way up front: Liriano isn’t the major upgrade we were all hoping for. Liriano has been one of the least effective starters in the National League this season, going 6-11 in 21 starts while sporting a 5.46 earned run average. He’s on pace for his highest single-season walk total and his homers per nine innings have been steadily inflating.
    Basically, the Jays took a young, very hittable right-handed incumbent starter in Drew Hutchison and replaced him with an older, very hittable left-handed outsider in Liriano.
    Liriano’s Fielding Independent Pitching is a disgusting 5.27, and that’s in large part because of both walks and homers. I’ll be blunt—walking a lot of guys and then giving up homeruns IS NOT a recipe for success in the AL East. Based on just that premise alone, this trade could be a fiery train wreck.
    Alas, the Jays needed a lefty. But that need was in the pen, not in the rotation.
    In the rotation they needed someone who can get outs like Sanchez. So why did they go after Liriano? My hunch is because they don’t expect Liriano to be in the rotation for long, nor Sanchez in the pen. When the two inevitably switch is when you’ll see the big upside of this deal.
    Francisco Liriano has an amazing slider. Seriously, the depth and run on his sinker, slider combo makes him incredibly tough on lefties, and hard to face in small bursts, like out of the bullpen.
    He’d be a very dangerous weapon from the pen, even more so if used as a LOOGY. His strikeouts per nine are solid at 9.2 and right in line with his career average, and his experience as a starter means he’s not short suited against righties either.
    I don’t expect Liriano to give the Jays much more than Drew Hutchison would have from the starting rotation this year, or the next, but, when you consider that Sanchez will be back for the post season, alongside Happ, Estrada, and Stroman, while Dickey sits the bench, Liriano makes tremendous sense.
    Liriano is the one guy that gets better in the pen. So, the net value here is, this trade gives the Jays a left-handed starter that can cover the spread left by Sanchez’s move to the pen, and provides a left-handed weapon that can get K’s from the pen.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think the big thing for Pitt that everyone is missing, is that they really like Hutch. They have apparently had their eye on him for 3 years now, and they definitely could give him the same transformation that they did with Happ this past season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Expert

Funny u say that. I was on a Pirate fans website forum yesterday talking about the very same thing. Boy were they vilifying their GM & owner for making this deal.
    Hutch has always had solid stuff. A change of scenery and pitching in the national league may be just what the doctor ordered for him.
    Hope it works out for him.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    Funny u say that. I was on a Pirate fans website forum yesterday talking about the very same thing. Boy were they vilifying their GM & owner for making this deal.
    Hutch has always had solid stuff. A change of scenery and pitching in the national league may be just what the doctor ordered for him.
    Hope it works out for him.
    I have him in a dynasty league as well, so I'm hoping for the same.

Dobber Sports Jedi

This feels a bit like a NHL-style trade. take the salary off our hands and we'll add in a prospect or two to make it worth your while.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4