View Poll Results: Who's most likely to score 65+ points in 2016-17 despite never previously scoring 55?

Voters
77. This poll is closed
  • Max Domi

6 7.79%
  • Leon Draisaitl

3 3.90%
  • Jonathan Drouin

8 10.39%
  • Nikolaj Ehlers

14 18.18%
  • Brendan Gallagher

20 25.97%
  • Patrick Hornqvist

14 18.18%
  • Dylan Larkin

6 7.79%
  • Gustav Nyqvist

6 7.79%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cage Match Tournament #1 - breakout forwards - FINAL round (VOTE HERE)

The Great One

Default Cage Match Tournament #1 - breakout forwards - FINAL round (VOTE HERE)

Welcome back to the Cage Match Tournament to determine the 2016-17 breakout NHL fantasy forward. Thanks to your record numbers of votes (I really appreciate that – a sincere thanks to all who cast ballots last round), 40 forwards from round one have been narrowed to just eight for this week’s final voting. For those who want to see the totals and excellent forum posts from round one, you can access them here (http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...t-for-details) and here (http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...t-for-details).

For this week’s finals, you can only vote for one player and there’s no division between age groups, so you’ll have to pick a true favorite among the eight who emerged. Voting will be open through Monday August 1st, so make sure your voice is heard before it’s too late. And please again use this thread to discuss why you voted the way you did.

Be sure to check out my accompanying Cage Match column - http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...-2016-round-2/. It includes more details on this round, plus analysis on round one voting and a long look at the eight finalists.

See you next week, when we shift to breakout defensemen for a one-week second tournament!
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Default Re: Cage Match Tournament #1 - breakout forwards - FINAL round (VOTE HERE)

I decided to reveal my vote this time (note - last round I voted for Couturier, Ehlers, Trocheck in the under 23 bracket, and Bozak, Hornqvist, and Gallagher in the over 24 bracket) - it's Hornqvist. As you'll read in my column tomorrow, it's based mostly on the overwhelming likelihood that he's paired with Crosby all season. And simple math suggests that should put him in the best position, out of all these players, to get 65 next season. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, and to hear your comments as well.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Cage Match Tournament #1 - breakout forwards - FINAL round (VOTE HERE)

Had to go with Gallagher. He's likely to get top line minutes both on the PP and at even strength. He was also on a 67 point pace last year before the injury.
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold
    Positions: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW Goalies: W, GAA, SV%

C: MacKinnon, Couturier, Eriksson Ek, McCann (LW), Cizikas, Carrick
    LW: Kaprizov, J.T. Miller (C), J. Robertson, Colton (C)
    RW: Perron (LW), T. Moore
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Letang, Dumba, Lindell, Siegenthaler
    G: Hellebuyck, Vejmelka

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

Dobber Sports Icon

Gallagher...voted with my team in mind but also believe he has the best shot.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Pro

I voted Hornqvist.
    He's never done it but at 29 still in his best years.

I dont think either of them will even hit 60 pts but my bet would be on Hornqvist.
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Gallagher.

Was on pace for just over 60 last year. Still young so don't think it's out of the question to suggest he could add an extra 5 points to his 82-game pace. Only obstacle is whether Radulov takes time away from him on the top line.

**Edit: his points per game adjusted to 82 GP was almost 62.

Dobber Sports Expert

No need to change my vote now. Selected Ehlers in the other poll and I'm selecting him here too. None of my other picks made it besides Gallagher and I was iffy on him anyway.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I just don't see Gallagher putting up 65+ with MTL's lineup. Radulov will compete for top line billing so maybe he might be the PP 4th man.

I think Hornqvist is the guy because of the chemistry he was finally showing last season from January onward. It was a 65 pt clip.
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

The Great One

Ehlers for me
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Rick, are you also gonna do a poll on the biggest fallers?

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't like any of them to hit for 65 points this year. I think Hornqvist has the best chance, but he'll have to play at least 80 games to make it happen and that's not a good bet either.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Irriducibile11 View Post
    Rick, are you also gonna do a poll on the biggest fallers?
    I hadn't thought of that - I'll consider it and ask Dobber. Next week is defensemen risers though, so there's definitely at least one more week of voting fun.

Dobber Sports Recruit

My mind says Hornqvist but my gut says Ehlers, I'll go with Ehlers, there is just something about him.

The Wolverine

Just took a flier on Larkin, though not based on a lot of analysis. A strong rookie year with over 200 SOG, maybe with the loss of Datsyuk he'll get more ES and PP time it could happen. He'll need his linemates to score more as 22 assists obviously won't cut it. Others listed may be more likely but thought I'd go against the majority.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Just took a flier on Larkin, though not based on a lot of analysis. A strong rookie year with over 200 SOG, maybe with the loss of Datsyuk he'll get more ES and PP time it could happen. He'll need his linemates to score more as 22 assists obviously won't cut it. Others listed may be more likely but thought I'd go against the majority.
    Your instincts might be spot on - as I noted in the article, among the players since 1990-91 who had 20+ goals, 20+ assists and 2.75+ SOG per game as a teenage rookie, each one of them had 63+ points in at least one of their first two campaigns.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gnarlycrow View Post
    My mind says Hornqvist but my gut says Ehlers, I'll go with Ehlers, there is just something about him.
    I'm 100% in the same boat as you regarding both players, although I opted for Hornqvist instead. But yes - to me Ehlers has the it factor that just screams huge breakout.