Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trade Eichel for Forsberg?

The Great One

Default Re: Trade Eichel for Forsberg?

Neither does an opportunity to win a championship and this deal, and upgraded pick, is a means to that next season IMO - with Tavares, Jonny G and Kucherov the option to keep Eichel may not be there anyway with other trades that may happen this season as he will still be behind those three at least at the end if the year - and you're right Carlsson and Forsberg might be too.

is Buffalo going to be that much better this season? I'm not sure so apart from Eichel's natural improvement I don't see a huge jump so as I say they may land on a par

agree though if you can squeeze a second draft pick upgrade out of this as well then I'm even more for it
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

Ad what if Eichel breaks a leg and never lives up to that potential*? Don't get me wrong I like Eichel and you're right maybe you don't ever land him again but you don't win championships for having players with the best potential or having the one best player - it's the best squad that season

*this is why GMs who plan to win it all in three years time and draft/trade all young guys frustrates me - I'd argue that's almost impossible to do

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I can't really decide which side I like more, but anyone saying "it's not close" or "easy" is just trying to boost their post with massive hyperbole. Forsberg vs. Eichel might not be that close in your eyes (I think it is), but even if their gap is 15 points, the pick exchange makes up for that. So it is close.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I can't really decide which side I like more, but anyone saying "it's not close" or "easy" is just trying to boost their post with massive hyperbole. Forsberg vs. Eichel might not be that close in your eyes (I think it is), but even if their gap is 15 points, the pick exchange makes up for that. So it is close.
    agreed.. and if the OP rejects it I can see why - for me I would do it though

Dobber Sports Jedi

Post what you've decided to do & perhaps bump once you've drafted to let us know who was acquired via the swapped picks
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Neither does an opportunity to win a championship and this deal, and upgraded pick, is a means to that next season IMO - with Tavares, Jonny G and Kucherov the option to keep Eichel may not be there anyway with other trades that may happen this season as he will still be behind those three at least at the end if the year - and you're right Carlsson and Forsberg might be too.

is Buffalo going to be that much better this season? I'm not sure so apart from Eichel's natural improvement I don't see a huge jump so as I say they may land on a par

agree though if you can squeeze a second draft pick upgrade out of this as well then I'm even more for it
    Eichel is a year older. Reinhart is a year older. Signing Okposo is a huge upgrade. I don't think Ennis or E Kane can take a step back, lol. I do think Buffalo's offense has room to grow this year.

I'd hold Eichel. I'd want a better long-term keeper, plus the pick, if I'm moving him.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Would the other GM agree to taking Kucherov over Eichel??

I just think Eichel is going to be really really good.. Not that Kuch won't, I just like Eichel more then Kucherov longterm..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I remember when Nugent-Hopkins had 52 points in 62 games his rookie season (FWIW, that was a much bigger "robbing" of the Calder than McDavid ever experienced) and his propelled himself to such lofty career highs of....56 points.

Now is Eichel better than RNH was at that age? Sure. But Buffalo last season is a better team than that Oilers team was too.

Now do I expect Eichel to be a much bigger stud than RNH? Sure I do, eventually. But point is, not ever player becomes a star immediately. Look how long Seguin took. Can't just expect Eichel to smash scoring next season just because he had a decent rookie year.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I remember when Nugent-Hopkins had 52 points in 62 games his rookie season (FWIW, that was a much bigger "robbing" of the Calder than McDavid ever experienced) and his propelled himself to such lofty career highs of....56 points.

Now is Eichel better than RNH was at that age? Sure. But Buffalo last season is a better team than that Oilers team was too.

Now do I expect Eichel to be a much bigger stud than RNH? Sure I do, eventually. But point is, not ever player becomes a star immediately. Look how long Seguin took. Can't just expect Eichel to smash scoring next season just because he had a decent rookie year.
    Seguin had 67 as a sophomore and has been a ppg+ player since age 22. In my mind, Eichel is at another level than Seguin at the same age and projects to be higher as well. He's lightyears ahead of RNH as well.

Of course, there's always the risk with young players that it'll take longer or maybe won't even come at all. That risk is mitigated greatly with a player like Jack Eichel - who I would have taken first overall every year in the last decade minus '05 and '15. He quite literally has all the tools and mind to go along with it. Toss in the work ethic and a young talented core growing alongside him and the ceiling is very high. Top 5 scorer-high.

This is an interesting deal because of the quality that the first rounder brings forth, but I would have a difficult time moving Eichel for with Forsberg being the main piece. I think we see them finish with similar point totals next season, perhaps a slight edge to Forsberg but the growth that comes with Eichel and the importance of maximizing each keeper spot in a limited keeper like yours, pushes this one away for me.

I'd pass or try for more.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Antwell49 View Post
    If I could get Forsberg and a 1st rounder for Eichel and a 5th rounder (both players are keepers), should I do it? Owner likes Eich...Is Eichel's ceiling too high?

14 Team, Keep 4...G,A, PPP, PIM, BS, +/-, GAA, SV%, W roto

I'm already keeping Tavares, Johnny G and Kucherov
    Concerning the bold part, I think yes, Eichels potential is too good and for the record I really like Forsberg.

Now, no hack on your other keepers, but they don't strike me as a massive head start for the season. If they were I could understand the risk considering a 1st coming back and the ability to add more high end talent to a scary squad. As it stands though I recommend playing it safe and waiting on Eichel as I wouldn't be surprised if he's a clear top 2 on your team by the end of the season.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Eichel is a year older. Reinhart is a year older. Signing Okposo is a huge upgrade. I don't think Ennis or E Kane can take a step back, lol. I do think Buffalo's offense has room to grow this year.

I'd hold Eichel. I'd want a better long-term keeper, plus the pick, if I'm moving him.
    doesn't mean they take a step forward either

those names don't fill me with confidence that there will be that 'huge' step forward - will they be better? yeah not sure if it will be enough

Dobber Sports Initiate

I wouldn't make this trade, sure the 1st rnder gives you an edge, but in a keep 4 I would think you'd want the best 4 you can own and Eichel is one of those guys you want. I don't think that the extra 1st rnder guarantees a championship. Depending on how good the other GM's in the league are, I would think the draft is key and unless other GM's own several low picks you will be competing for a championship without this trade.
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Dobber Sports Padawan

i think Forsberg+7th overall is more likely to help you win a title this year. Eichel is a nice asset but winning costs. I make the deal

Dobber Sports Jedi

What if Forsberg puts together a full season, minimizing his slumps? After back to back years of 66 & 67 pts... I don't think 80 is completely out of the question. Did anyone see Benn becoming the monster he is now at 22?

Let's be honest. Taking a look around the NHL, Kane put up 100+ pts, no one else cracked 90. Regardless what Eichel's ceiling in, in this NHL it's gong to be hard to consistently push 80pts. Just ask Tavares. Over the next 4 years, I don't see Forsberg & Eichel being separated by more than 10 points per season (averaging it out in my head).

To say they will I think is not taking into full account the current state of the NHL and level of scoring balance. Crosby isn't even breaking 90 anymore. He's supposed to be a lock for 90+ every year.

In three years, you're most likely looking at Eichel putting up 84pts and Forsberg 76. It's a small difference. In your league, it all comes down to your annual draft and who you surround those four core players with in determining whether you win or not each year. That 7th pick gives you a better chance to win next year and it results in minimal loss value wise by 'dropping' to Forsberg
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    What if Forsberg puts together a full season, minimizing his slumps? After back to back years of 66 & 67 pts... I don't think 80 is completely out of the question. Did anyone see Benn becoming the monster he is now at 22?

Let's be honest. Taking a look around the NHL, Kane put up 100+ pts, no one else cracked 90. Regardless what Eichel's ceiling in, in this NHL it's gong to be hard to consistently push 80pts. Just ask Tavares. Over the next 4 years, I don't see Forsberg & Eichel being separated by more than 10 points per season (averaging it out in my head).

To say they will I think is not taking into full account the current state of the NHL and level of scoring balance. Crosby isn't even breaking 90 anymore. He's supposed to be a lock for 90+ every year.

[b]In three years, you're most likely looking at Eichel putting up 84pts and Forsberg 76.[\b] It's a small difference. In your league, it all comes down to your annual draft and who you surround those four core players with in determining whether you win or not each year. That 7th pick gives you a better chance to win next year and it results in minimal loss value wise by 'dropping' to Forsberg
    Even if that's true, Forsberg wasn't that much better than Eichel last year. It was a small difference. Unless you project Forsberg to take off this year and Eichel to falter, I don't see the point in moving the guy with the consensus higher upside.

And even if I were going to this trade, I'd at least wait until Aug-15, and confirm that Vesey does not sign in Buffalo. Okposo + Vesey would give Buffalo a heck of a lot better top 6 than last year. Heck, Okposo alone improves this club at F a lot.