Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Older vs 2016 prospects

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Older vs 2016 prospects

The immediacy of production is a given, yes. But upside? How on earth is Vesey's upside higher than White? Look at what White just did as a college freshman as an 18/19 year old? Better than PPG production in hockey east! At that age Vesey was playing in the EJHL...

Dobber Sports Stud

I find that with all the hype for the 2016 draft class, some of the older guys are easier to acquire.

I landed Aho in a deal a few weeks ago and I can guarantee the other GM didn't have Aho as a top 10 (when compared to the 2016 class)

How would you rank Lindell for points only when compared to the 2016 D?
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

The Great One

Vesey just led all college players in goals the last two season and just won the Hobey Baker award (after being a finalist last season). White has had a fantastic season and a redraft would probably see him drafted higher than 21st right now. A point a game in the WJC and 4th in rookie scoring and I hope he does take another step but right now, and for me, Vesey is slightly ahead.

Hey I can be wrong but that's my thought pocess

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yonald View Post
    I find that with all the hype for the 2016 draft class, some of the older guys are easier to acquire.

I landed Aho in a deal a few weeks ago and I can guarantee the other GM didn't have Aho as a top 10 (when compared to the 2016 class
    TBH it happens every year that's why it is important to fill up on the following year's draft picks to sell high on
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yes Vesey did score a lot of goals the last two seasons but you have to keep in mind his age while doing so.

Draft + 1 season (Age 18)
    White - 43 points in 37 games as a freshman; 9 points in 7 games at U20 World Juniors
    Vesey - Playing for the South Shore Kings of the EJHL

Draft + 2 (Age 19)
    White - Sophomore NCAA season; Leader of U20 World Junior team
    Vesey - 18 points in 27 games as a freshman; 5 points in 7 games in U20 World Juniors

Draft + 3 (Age 20)
    White - ? AHL or NHL
    Vesey - 22 points in 31 games as a sophomore

Draft + 4 (Age 21)
    White - ? NHL I'm willing to bet
    Vesey - 58 points in 37 games as a junior

Draft + 5 (Age 22)
    White - ? NHL
    Vesey - 46 points in 33 games as a senior

You COULD take Vesey ahead of White and other high upside players and hope to benefit from immediate production, but I feel strongly that in 2-3 years time you would regret it.

The Great One

Quite possibly and that's the joy of this forum - we aren't always going to agree and don't forget your disputing players de developing at different rates. Sean assy is a good example of that right now (in not comparing him to these but just undersells a point that what a player is at certain ages diesnt guarantee the final product) but I will look forward to reviewing this in 2-3 years

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Quite possibly and that's the joy of this forum - we aren't always going to agree and don't forget your disputing players de developing at different rates. Sean assy is a good example of that right now (in not comparing him to these but just undersells a point that what a player is at certain ages diesnt guarantee the final product) but I will look forward to reviewing this in 2-3 years
    Totally agree, I'm just trying to give the OP both sides of the coin. There was too much consensus in this thread on something that I really didn't think there should be consensus on.

I assume that your player example "Sean assy" was an auto-correct issue. Who did you mean?

The Great One

Yeah it was (surprisingly!) - Sean Day... Assy isn't even close!

Dobber Sports Stud

Sean Day makes sense. Although projecting a kid at age 15 is quite different than projecting men from age 18+. And even with that said the other players declared exceptional in recent years have all developed as expected.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I don't know if someone else mentionned this already (too lazy to check), but the other thing we may take into consideration is that Vesey now has way more hype than White, so would return more in a trade... for now, which may be worth an earlier pick relative to White if your intention may be to trade the player for more proven/immediate help or an upgrade on your current roster.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Sean Day makes sense. Although projecting a kid at age 15 is quite different than projecting men from age 18+. And even with that said the other players declared exceptional in recent years have all developed as expected.
    As I say wasn't the best comparison maybe the likes of Bonk etc would be but going back a few years but I don't think White flames out (and I don't think Day does either) as I say players develop differently and right now I think Vesey does outperform White. Now whether the reason there is a major consensus is because Vesey has been in the news so much and maybe people are more aware of him as a flavour of the month I don't know. Right now given the two I do prefer Vesey but that's the joy of sport - it's never predictable!

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm firmly entrenched in the "Colin White is going to be beastly 2C" camp. I think he'll offer a lot more to his team than Vesey will for his. As for the fantasy value, if Vesey lines up next to a premier centre, he could be a 30 goal scorer. White will have to do a lot of heavy lifting, but if he ends up on a line with a creative winger, he could have Bergeron-like seasons ahead.

Immediate, but limited gratification - Vesey
    Long-term ceiling - White

You can't ignore what White has done as an 18/19 year old. I'm never too wet when a 23 year old rips up the NCAA... He damn well should.

I also really like Aho and Bjorkstrand. I'm hoping to snag at least one of them in the 2nd round this year in our keep 17.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thank a lot everyone! That's very enlightening. I am in a win now mode some I might try to trade some prospects for immediate help. I have some holes in my lineup.

Since I have the 13th, 27th and 41st picks, I might get lucky and land Bjorkstrand or Aho. Otherwise, I'll try to snag either White or Vesey.

Thanks again
    12 teams H2H Keeper
    Keep 7 (1 each position, +2 any position but goalie)
    G A P PPP SOG FW HITS BLK PIM W GAA SV% SHO
    Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 4D 2U 2G 5B
    C: Mackinnon Matthews Thomas Bennett Pinto
    LW: Kaprizov Buchnevich (C) Fiala Drouin (C)
    RW: JT Miller (C) Barzal (C) Jarvis (C) Geekie (C)
    D: Fox Hamilton (IR) Nurse Faber Harley Manson Chabot
    G: Hellebuyck Rittich Ingram Lyon Andersen (IR)