Thread: Early Help Me Choose Last Keeper

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Early Help Me Choose Last Keeper

I'm in a 12 team PPR league where we keep four players. My iron three are Julio Jones, Randall Cobb and Rob Gronkowski. Who should be my fourth?

Carson Palmer
    Danny Woodhead
    Michael Floyd
    Dion Lewis
    Josh Gordon

Palmer seems crazy, but lots of QBs get kept in this league and it is 6 points per pass TD. Floyd is tempting but I'm quite WR heavy. My gut is leaning Dion Lewis.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Early Help Me Choose Last Keeper

Palmer probably isn't far enough ahead of other QBs to warrant your last spot.
    I guess there's no way that you could ship off Floyd for an upgrade at another position? Packaged with Palmer for a QB upgrade maybe?
    I can see the argument for Dion Lewis, and he may turn out to be the right pick here.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

QBs are easy to get. DION LEWIS is gold in PPR leagues. His elusive rating was off the charts last year before he got hurt. Plus, the Pats offense is really really dependent on short passes out of the backfield. Dion Lewis will be a top3-5 PPR RB.

See if you can package Palmer / Woodhead (who should also be very good in PPR) for some draft pick upgrades to load up in the early rounds.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Ouffff, not an easy choice as there are some tempting options here that come with a certain degree of risk.

Here's how I see it:

Carson Palmer: LY was the best year of his career. At 36 (close to 37 during the season), it could be another great final act if he's able to repeat his numbers but I fear that he won't be able to pull it off.

Danny Woodhead: Decent numbers LY with about 1000 total yards and 6 TDs. I think this is what you can expect this year with a possibility at a slight decline.

Michael Floyd: Good 3rd WR option with similar total yards to Woodhead (receiving-wise) and about 6-7 TD's

Dion Lewis: A poor-man's Sproles in the making. I'm pretty sure he will improve on last year's numbers if the Pats decide to use him more.

Josh Gordon: If his suspension gets lifted and he does end up playing, he could come back with a vengeance. Still a big risk at this point.

If I had to gamble, I would roll the dice with Palmer if your league tends to keep QBs. If you know that there will be a good amount of QBs available, then maybe opt for Lewis. I feel that Woodhead and Floyd will be draftable with more ease and that Gordon is just too risky ATM.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Expert

With your league scoring 6pts per passing TD, I keep Palmer. And its not even close with a guy whose going to threaten with 30+ TDs next season again. Floyd to me is too much of a ? as he could be the 4th option in the passing game behind Fitz, Brown and Johnson. Lewis will be game dependant as every Patriot is who's not named Gronk. Woodhead is the same boat, where he'll provide a couple excellent weeks but is boom/bust throughout the season. And Gordon...well....lets not start.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by WeissAsNice View Post
    I'm in a 12 team PPR league where we keep four players. My iron three are Julio Jones, Randall Cobb and Rob Gronkowski. Who should be my fourth?

Carson Palmer
    Danny Woodhead
    Michael Floyd
    Dion Lewis
    Josh Gordon

Palmer seems crazy, but lots of QBs get kept in this league and it is 6 points per pass TD. Floyd is tempting but I'm quite WR heavy. My gut is leaning Dion Lewis.

I say go with your gut. Dion Lewis was an elite option for the Pats last year and they don't have another back nearly as good on their roster at this point. Woodhead is a great guy to have on your roster in ppr but you can draft him later.

I'm a big fan of Floyd this year and think if healthy he can be a high end wr2. When he's healthy, he's the first guy Carson looks to and I didn't see anything last year that would change that approach this year.

Carson is a good QB option but if most teams are keeping a QB, you can probably draft Carson or a similar option in round 2 of your draft. Other gm's will look to fill other positions before grabbing a backup. If you don't have a top 5 keeper QB, you're better off using a keeper slot on a skill position player.

Wow, thanks for all the help everyone! As a note, for those suggesting trades, we can't make movement with these keeper players, so that isn't an option unfortunately.

I also have another 7 weeks to make this decision. Maybe some extra clarity will come into focus between now and then.

I agree with The Whale's take with one exception. I would lean towards Woodhead. Led the league among RBs last year in targets. May not have the dynamic upside of Lewis, but he has a higher floor. Plus Lewis long history of injury issues is a concern for me. In PPR leagues, receiving RBs are gold.

As far as Palmer...love him, but you can score a Romo, Rivers, Manning, or maybe Winston and still win your league.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would keep Lewis here. I don't see his competition on the roster now.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

I'm bumping this because I need to make my final call over the next week or so. I'm banking on there being enough QBs available to let Carson Palmer go. So, I'm limiting the choices to Dion Lewis, Danny Woodhead, Michael Floyd or the lotto ticket of Josh Gordon.

At this point, I'm still leaning Lewis. Just a bit concerned about the injury.

Dobber Sports Expert

Lewis for me.

Latest news on Dion Lewis is a tad concerning. I need to make the call tomorrow (though I get a week to change if there's significant injury news). Starting to debate keeping Woodhead as the 4th keeper.