Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Extremely deep multi cat league...#4. Tkachuck or Dubois?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Extremely deep multi cat league...#4. Tkachuck or Dubois?

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    You seem pretty passionate here. I like that . Are you endorsing Dubois? Or just playing devil's advocate to the masses choosing Tkachuck for a) better multi cat played b) presumed better playing situation?

I appreciate your alternate challenging view, but I'm interested in whether you actually think Dubois is the better pick and... If you truly don't think it matters what logo they dawn on their chest.
    I'd rather not say who I'm endorsing, as I own the #4 pick in my keeper league. But, I will say that based on everything I have read (and I have read a lot about this draft), and acknowledging that I have never seen either player live, it seems that Dubois is the more talented player and the more complete package. I think it is very close, though, and have moved back and forth on my preference. I haven't decided yet who I will select.

It also seems to me that, in a multi-cat league, Dubois would be the better pick as he appears to have more offensive upside (again, based on what have read) has a playing style similar to Tkachuk's so that he would generate other cats such as hits, PIMs and SOG. Also, he may have the bonus of FOW as he played centre for the last half of the season. At the very least he may generate FOWs in the manner of Jamie Benn who is good for a few hundred per year.

Also, Dubois is six months younger than Tkachuk, and at this age an extra six months of development can make a huge difference. Tkachuk has had the benefit of playing as an 18 year old in his draft year. Dubois does not turn 18 for a few more days.

Dobber Sports Stud

whichever one doesn't go to Vancouver! if neither do, then tkachuk will be a much better fantasy player. dubois might be better in real life.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I don't understand why it's "clearly Tkachuk" in a multi-cat league when Dubois looks like he also piles up hits and PIM. On top of that he's a shooter. If Dubois looks like he'll score more points, then would not seem he'd be the better pick overall?
    My bad: the "clearly" was from me, not Dobber. Here's what Dobber wrote exactly:

"Dubois for points only, and Tkachuk for multi-cat leagues (such as your league)"

That was the whole answer - but it does sound pretty confident to me I can see your points though and Dobber obviously doesn't own a crystall ball either. I'll still go with Tkachuk though as I'd rather need an LW (and it's not certain if Dubois will get C or LW eligibility or both).
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    My bad: the "clearly" was from me, not Dobber. Here's what Dobber wrote exactly:

"Dubois for points only, and Tkachuk for multi-cat leagues (such as your league)"

That was the whole answer - but it does sound pretty confident to me I can see your points though and Dobber obviously doesn't own a crystall ball either. I'll still go with Tkachuk though as I'd rather need an LW (and it's not certain if Dubois will get C or LW eligibility or both).
    Awesome. Thanks for that clarification. (And sharing Dobber's comments specifically).

Seems like the scale tips toward Tkachuck slightly, more so if he doesn't land in Van and say Dubois does. Very helpful.

Now bring on the draft. I want some of these questions answered!!!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post

No worries - I'm a subscriber too. What I haven't heard from anyone yet is why Tkachuk is better in multi-cat leagues when Dubois seems to generate a high rate of non-scoring cats as well.

Dobber Sports Expert

They are close. But its Dubois for me. His physicality exceeds Tkachuk and he, has already pointed out, has a higher points ceiling. Most I feel are on this notion that Tkachuk will go to Edmonton and thus is the better pick. From everything I've watched, Dubois is a guy who drives and dictates the play whether or not he has the puck. Tkachuk, while a big body, is kind of a peripheral player especially when he doesn't have the puck. He seems too reliant on his linemates at times and his high point production still has some testament to playing with Marner and Dvorak. I think Tkachuk will have the better short-term impact but Dubois will likely be the better pick down the road (3+ years).

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I think landing spot is more than a slight X factor. One guy goes to Edmonton to potentially play on McDavid's wing for a decade while the other is drafted by Vancouver.
    This is the biggest factor IMO because the two players are very close. Tkachuk playing with Marner and Dvorak really boosted his point production, so many seem to feel Dubois is the better choice, BUT, Tkachuk playing with McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Hall, etc makes the stats he racked up on the Knights more relevant IMO. I also have #4 in this draft and am really hoping Dubois doesn't go to Vancouver.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Seems like the scale tips toward Tkachuck slightly....
    Sorry... I have to do it...
    I'm pulling my member card of the -chuk society out today.
    We... us, Hockey-Chuks... we're all C-H-U-K...

Andreychuk, Hawerchuk, Kovalchuk, Sawchuk, Konawalchuk, Matviachuk, Boychuk, Malarchuk, Babchuk, Tkachuk... and many many others.
    Always CHUK.

That's all.
    Didn't read the rest of the thread... sorry, LOL... the -CHUK thing always grinds my gears.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Sorry... I have to do it...
    I'm pulling my member card of the -chuk society out today.
    We... us, Hockey-Chuks... we're all C-H-U-K...

Andreychuk, Hawerchuk, Kovalchuk, Sawchuk, Konawalchuk, Matviachuk, Boychuk, Malarchuk, Babchuk, Tkachuk... and many many others.
    Always CHUK.

That's all.
    Didn't read the rest of the thread... sorry, LOL... the -CHUK thing always grinds my gears.
    W.E.B. Dubois says "hi" #LEGEND
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Always CHUK.
    Matvichuk.

Had to do it.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by glorybe23 View Post
    Matvichuk.

Had to do it.
    Jerk.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by bergman View Post
    This is the biggest factor IMO because the two players are very close. Tkachuk playing with Marner and Dvorak really boosted his point production, so many seem to feel Dubois is the better choice, BUT, Tkachuk playing with McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Hall, etc makes the stats he racked up on the Knights more relevant IMO. I also have #4 in this draft and am really hoping Dubois doesn't go to Vancouver.
    IIRC, Matthew Tkachuk had the highest Secondary-Assist rate of any OHL eligible draftee. Food for thought. Oh, but he has "grit" and "heart" and "compete" and he "plays the right way" ... gimme a break. I thought we were done with this unverifiable / intangible bullspit when evaluating potential talent.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin