Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Q's - June 6 2016

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Q's - June 6 2016

Thanks for this, Dobber. One more question - I've got Hellebuyck and Vasilevsky and can only keep one in a keeper. I think both have the strong possibility of being a #1 goalie as early as this year (Hellebuyck is better than Pavelec and Bishop is a strong candidate to be traded). Points for W's and T's, that's all. I really like the near and long-term future of both the Lightning and the Jets.

Who would you choose in a keeper league?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for doing this Dobber.

If you could only keep two which of M. Jones, Gibson and Vasilevskiy do you prefer long-term (next 5 years +).
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehdaun View Post
    Goals, Assists and Points, what are your thoughts on Kessel next year? Brutal to start the season as many penguins were, he wasn't half bad the second half. Really stepped it up in the playoffs. You think he gets back to nearly 40-40-80 next year?
    I think the Penguins have found a solution with him. He can't be a spare part on the Crosby or Malkin line, but as the driver of a line he looks like he can do 37-37-74. It would be more, but now that he's on the third line and seeing less ice time than in Toronto, he'll be hard-pressed to get to 80 again.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Selanne13 View Post
    Who will be the better own 3 years from now. Sebastian Aho or Matt Barzal. What kind of numbers do you see them putting up in their prime.

Also i'd appreciate you ranking those goalie prospects:
    Saros, Gillies, Sorokin, Husso, Soderstrom, Lyon, Vladar
    Based on simple talent, I like Aho. But factor in the team around him, and I prefer Barzal. Both have 70+ potential. The Prospects Report really gets into detail with these two, including upside and likelihood

For the goalies you list, I like Sorokin the best for the long term. I think Vladar is a long way off and Lyon is a bit of a sleeper. Each one of these goaltenders is profiled in the Fantasy Prospects Report, and all seven of them are in the Top 25 (5 NHL games played or less) that I list. Gillies is 3rd, Husso is 4th, Sorokin is 5th, Saros is 6th, Soderstrom is 7th and Lyon is 25th. Sorry, Vladar now that I look at it, did not make the Top 25.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy View Post
    Thanks for the open mailbag! Great answer so far - and here's my own questions that I asked in the forum a couple of months ago:

In a 12-team points-only league (G=1, A=1, W+SO=2+3), I'm trying to figure out who my 6 keepers are out of the following:

Tavares
    Benn
    Hall
    Bergeron
    Johansen
    Subban
    Josi
    Klingberg
    Buff
    Price

I think elite D-men are extra valuable in a points-only league based on the # of D that can get 50 points vs the # of F that can get 50, so I'm leaning towards going JT/Benn/Hall/Subban/Josi/Klingberg. That would give me 3 of the top 5 D-men in a league like this, so is that the best strategy? (Note: usually only 1-2 goalies go in the first two rounds and with MTL's down year I'm confident I can snag Price with my pick late in the 1st round - I doubt I would get any of the D-men I would have to drop)
    Tavares, Benn, Subban, Josi, Klingberg, Price - do not risk losing Price. I guarantee if both he and Hall were in the draft, Price would get picked before Hall.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    If you had to chose between Lehner and Markstrom, who would you pick and why?
    This is a tough one because I've always liked Markstrom, I'm happy to see that he's finally getting it going, and I hate Band-Aid Boys. But I still have to give the nod to Lehner because Buffalo has a lot invested in him and if his injuries are indeed a fluke, then he'll be a stud. Very tough decision though.

The Magnificent One

hey dobber thank you for doing this. I know this might be early to ask but would like to get your thoughts on my team I am currently drafting we are in the 11th round and I havd 4th overall - snake draft.

16 team league keep all with a made up salary depending on how they finish at end of season (no cap until next year). Stats: g,a,pts,stp,SOG,hits,blks,fow's,W,gaa,sv%,SHO

Team:
    T.Johnson(c), Stepan(c), Nyquist(LW), ryan(LW), P.Kane(rw), Malkin (RW), Green(D), Stralman (d), Rask (G), bernier (g), Lehner (G).

*should add goalies went fast early on as we had to draft atleast one goalie in the early rounds. that's why I picked 3. and we play 2 goalies on a given night.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    Hey Dobber!

For the points-only league in my signature, I've got my first 11 keepers pretty much lined-up...
    Backstrom, Pavelski, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Steen, Ehlers, Nylander, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Holtby, Rinne.

First question: Do you see any player who should NOT be on my preliminary list?
    Second question: Who should be my 12th keeper? (Muzzin, Zetterberg, Marchand? etc.)

Thanks a lot for these mailbags, they're always very helpful.
    Steen out. Eriksson in. Vlasic in

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    1)Where will Scheifele and Trouba max out for points in your opinion??

2)How good will Hellebuyck be??

3)Points only >> Byfuglien or Pietrangelo??

4)What year will the Jets win their 1st Stanley Cup??
    1. I think Scheifele will have a season where he tops 75 points. One of these years... Trouba will be 27 before he gets going. The Jets need him for other (non-offense) things. But he'll get to 50 points some day.
    2. A star. A Top 5 goalie in a couple of years in fantasy
    3. Buff by a mile
    4. Uhhh 2020

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
    Thanks for this, Dobber. One more question - I've got Hellebuyck and Vasilevsky and can only keep one in a keeper. I think both have the strong possibility of being a #1 goalie as early as this year (Hellebuyck is better than Pavelec and Bishop is a strong candidate to be traded). Points for W's and T's, that's all. I really like the near and long-term future of both the Lightning and the Jets.

Who would you choose in a keeper league?
    Hellebuyck by a mile. And I disagree that Vasilevskiy is a strong possibility of being a No.1 goalie as early as this year. FWIW I think Tampa will try to re-sign Bishop. Like Quick in LA, TB has their proven goalie in his prime. LA had no problem moving the unproven guys who may have challenged - Bernier, Scrivens, Jones. If it gets down to it, TBL will do the same thing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    Thanks for doing this Dobber.

If you could only keep two which of M. Jones, Gibson and Vasilevskiy do you prefer long-term (next 5 years +).
    Jones and Gibson

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    hey dobber thank you for doing this. I know this might be early to ask but would like to get your thoughts on my team I am currently drafting we are in the 11th round and I havd 4th overall - snake draft.

16 team league keep all with a made up salary depending on how they finish at end of season (no cap until next year). Stats: g,a,pts,stp,SOG,hits,blks,fow's,W,gaa,sv%,SHO

Team:
    T.Johnson(c), Stepan(c), Nyquist(LW), ryan(LW), P.Kane(rw), Malkin (RW), Green(D), Stralman (d), Rask (G), bernier (g), Lehner (G).

*should add goalies went fast early on as we had to draft atleast one goalie in the early rounds. that's why I picked 3. and we play 2 goalies on a given night.
    Looks good but you have to get a fourth goalie. Those ones are bound to kill you. Rolling the dice on Rask getting back on track and Lehner staying healthy

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    1. I think Scheifele will have a season where he tops 75 points. One of these years... Trouba will be 27 before he gets going. The Jets need him for other (non-offense) things. But he'll get to 50 points some day.
    2. A star. A Top 5 goalie in a couple of years in fantasy
    3. Buff by a mile
    4. Uhhh 2020
    You rock DD, thank you my friend!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..