Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Q's - June 6 2016

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Q's - June 6 2016

Goals, Assists and Points, what are your thoughts on Kessel next year? Brutal to start the season as many penguins were, he wasn't half bad the second half. Really stepped it up in the playoffs. You think he gets back to nearly 40-40-80 next year?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Which back up goalie is more likely to become an average or better NHL starter? I currently have Jacob Markstrom but can trade him for Antti Raanta in a very deep dynasty league. I also have Thatcher Demko in my prospects list if that information changes your mind at all.

Thank you.
    Markstrom has a very good chance of becoming a full-time starter. And in fact, I think he will this year. Raanta's chances are fairly slim, he's just not in a good spot
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
    Hi Dobber,

What's your 1 and 3 year point projections on Teravainen, Burakovsky, R. Strome, Nugent-Hopkins, Rantanen and Shea Theodore.

I've got to pick 4 of these 6. Defence goals are worth 2 points.

Thanks.
    Without doing the analysis and plugging into formulas (I start on that in a month):

1-year
    TT - 45
    AB - 43
    RS - 51 (yes, big comeback)
    RNH - 62
    MR - 38
    ST - 35 (Bold!)

3-years from now
    TT - 70
    AB - 62
    RS - 68
    RNH - 65
    MR - 70
    ST - 50

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawch View Post
    Hey Dobber, thanks for this and all your fantasy hockey insight! I visit your site daily and value your advice immensely.

My question: How high would you draft McDavid in a 1 year H2H re-draft league?
    Categories: G, A, PT, +/-,PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG W, GAA, SV%, SO

Thanks for your thoughts!!
    Hi, thanks Sawch!

If it's a one-year league I'd probably wait until fourth or fifth overall. Only reason I wouldn't take him first is because he has injured himself in three consecutive Novembers. So i'd want proven players and multi-cat studs over him, such as Ovechkin, Crosby and Karlsson

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Hey Dobber!
    Thanks for doing this!

3 questions, all for the league in my sig.
    Points only, keep-6.

1) Ovechkin or Gaudreau?

2) Rank O'Reilly, Spezza, Hornqvist, Radulov (assuming it's DET or go with your prediction...)

3) What are your predictions regarding Yandle (team and points)? Would you keep him before one of the forwards listed in question #2?
    1) Ovechkin is safer and more proven. I think he'll get 80 points this year. Gaudreau probably the same, but he hasn't been at it as long. Tough call though in a points-only.

2) Spezza, ROR, Radulov, Horny

3) DET, TOR, EDM, or VAN - 55 points. Great season ahead IMO and yes I'd keep him over any of the other guys listed. Oh wait, you don't have to have a defenseman? Then I would slot Yandle above Hornqvist and below the other three.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Who will be the better own 3 years from now. Sebastian Aho or Matt Barzal. What kind of numbers do you see them putting up in their prime.

Also i'd appreciate you ranking those goalie prospects:
    Saros, Gillies, Sorokin, Husso, Soderstrom, Lyon, Vladar
    12 team full keeper dynasty league (H2H Points-Based)

scoring cats:

G, A, P, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, FOW, FOL, Hit, TK, BLK, GWG, GA, SV, SHO, W

C: Barkov, MacKinnon, Zegras, Hughes, Matthews
    LW: Pavelski,Teravainen, Nichushkin,
    RW: Rantanen, Laine, Terry
    F: Kakko, Rakell, Granlund
    D: Jones, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dahlin, Burns, Thrun,
    G: Gibson, F. Andersen, Saros, Hart
    Farm: L. Carlsson, Moore, Miroshnichenko, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Askarov, Fedotov, Clang

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by OTDolan28 View Post
    14 Team Keeper League: Generic categories plus FOW, Hits, and Blocks

I'm down to my last keeper spot and it's between Saad and JVR. JVR's injury woes are a concern, but with the influx of young talent coming to Toronto (that may also include Stamkos) this upcoming season, how would you gauge JVR's value for 2016-17 and beyond? Is he the better choice than Saad if my team is in a "win-now mode?" Thanks!
    I would prefer JVR, but you are right in being concerned. JVR has far higher upside though IMO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for the open mailbag! Great answer so far - and here's my own questions that I asked in the forum a couple of months ago:

In a 12-team points-only league (G=1, A=1, W+SO=2+3), I'm trying to figure out who my 6 keepers are out of the following:

Tavares
    Benn
    Hall
    Bergeron
    Johansen
    Subban
    Josi
    Klingberg
    Buff
    Price

I think elite D-men are extra valuable in a points-only league based on the # of D that can get 50 points vs the # of F that can get 50, so I'm leaning towards going JT/Benn/Hall/Subban/Josi/Klingberg. That would give me 3 of the top 5 D-men in a league like this, so is that the best strategy? (Note: usually only 1-2 goalies go in the first two rounds and with MTL's down year I'm confident I can snag Price with my pick late in the 1st round - I doubt I would get any of the D-men I would have to drop)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    What's your view of Radulov? Stud or dud? Care to put a point range on him?
    I'm leaning towards 'dud' because it always seems to work out that way for this guy. But I'm still interested in him. As for points range - coaching is important here. You saw what a guy like Trotz will tolerate. Ideally he would get Patrick Roy, because I don't think he'd do well with Babcock. With the wrong coach, we'd see something like 24 points in 40 games as he sulks his way to the press box and then "mutual termination" of his contract as he flees to Russia. Or the right coach (Roy) could see him become a point-per-game player. Because talent-wise, he's Top 15 in the league among forwards.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I wouldn't go after Laine, if it was me. Prospects when they're drafted are way too overpriced. Think of Eichel - what would you have given up to acquire Eichel last June? And what was his price last November? See the diff?

Buf if you insist, I'd offer Toews and see what the 'big name' can land you
    Big thanks for the quick feedback!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you had to chose between Lehner and Markstrom, who would you pick and why?
    12 team full keeper dynasty league HeadtoHead - Point-Based

G/ A/P/ PPP/+/-/PIM/SOG/FOW/Hit/TK/BLK/GA/SV/SHO/W

C - Johansen, Giroux, Seguin, Hughes
    LW - Laine, Benn, Landeskog, Ehlers
    RW - Eberle, Bjorkstrand, Tkachuk, Boeser
    D - Seider, Doughty, Jones, D. Hamilton
    G - Andersen, Fleury, Saros
    Prospects - Guenther, Hofer, Lundkvist,

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by valec View Post
    Hey Dobber,
    Thanx for doing this.

dynasty cap in first sig.
    Thinking of moving Hedman as he's due for a big raise on his extension. Thinking 8M+ and I don't think the others Barrie, Jones, and Yandle will be near that. I find it easier to move a big name player before they get their extension.
    I'd look at Stamkos but I feel he's in a low value zone considering the year he had. My F bench will be used for cheaper waiver options.

My question is: Would you move Hedman or move another higher paid player?

Much appreciated
    I think Stamkos will be overpaid, for what it's worth. Think $9 or $10. I think Yandle will be overpaid too. Think $8 just like Hedman (UFA vs. RFA). If you're dumping salary, Fleury should be first on the chopping block IMO, but Stamkos would be right there too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    What are your thoughts on Trochek going forward?

Is last season's production sustainable? Can he go higher?
    He can go higher and I think he will. I don't think we've seen the limits of him yet, I think in two-three years he can hit 70. But for the most part he'll be a 60-point guy

http://dobberhockey.com/players/vincent-trocheck

Dobber Sports Stud

Hey Dobber!

For the points-only league in my signature, I've got my first 11 keepers pretty much lined-up...
    Backstrom, Pavelski, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Steen, Ehlers, Nylander, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Holtby, Rinne.

First question: Do you see any player who should NOT be on my preliminary list?
    Second question: Who should be my 12th keeper? (Muzzin, Zetterberg, Marchand? etc.)

Thanks a lot for these mailbags, they're always very helpful.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Darnell Nurse - what do you think the next 3 years look like for him? Has his offense been over-estimated?
    He's a smart player who can move the puck, but his offense is a tad over-estimated. How well he produces will depend on what Edmonton does in terms of acquisitions. If, for example, they sign Keith Yandle in the summer...then Nurse won't be needed as much of a PP option. But if they don't sign a mobile defenseman, then Nurse could still emerge as a quality fantasy own. Even if he's not "the man", I still think his 'low end' production will be over 35 points at his prime. But we want his high end to reach 55-60 or close to it so that will depend on the other options, if any, that the Oilers acquire

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

1)Where will Scheifele and Trouba max out for points in your opinion??

2)How good will Hellebuyck be??

3)Points only >> Byfuglien or Pietrangelo??

4)What year will the Jets win their 1st Stanley Cup??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..