Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Q's - June 6 2016

I...am your father.

Default Re: Dobber's Mailbag - Ask your Fantasy Hockey Q's - June 6 2016

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Thoughts on a couple guys I own:

Jack Johnson -- last year was abysmal. Any chance for a rebound at all?
    Filppula - assuming Stamkos moves on, is he a bounce back candidate?
    JJ - I don't think so. Zach Werenski is making this team next year. Johnson is what he is - a two-way guy who Torts leans on. But PP duties will start getting pushed elswhere. Look here at his last five years:
    http://dobberhockey.com/players/jack-johnson
    Focus on the %PP column. Steady decline to 47.8%. Next year, with Werenski, that number will shrink once again.

Filpps - no, he's a checker for good now. I suppose if Johnson gets hurt again then Filpps would see a boost, but otherwise I don't have any faith in it.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hey Dobber!
    Thanks for doing this!

3 questions, all for the league in my sig.
    Points only, keep-6.

1) Ovechkin or Gaudreau?

2) Rank O'Reilly, Spezza, Hornqvist, Radulov (assuming it's DET or go with your prediction...)

3) What are your predictions regarding Yandle (team and points)? Would you keep him before one of the forwards listed in question #2?
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    Two questions:

What effect will smaller goalie equipment have on player point totals, and do you see rankings changing (i.e. certain goalies affected more than others)?

Quantitative outlook on these young players: Bo Horvat, Kevin Hayes, Matt Dumba, Alex Wennberg?
    Great question re: the goaltenders. Something I will need to research. I put the question to Justin Goldman and I await his response. I'm not sure who relies the most on their equipment.

Of the four players, I really like Wennberg's immediate outlook. I think he has a strong season next year (low 60s? high 50s?) and settles in over time as a near 70-point guy. He had 40 points in his last 54 games:
    http://dobberhockey.com/players/alexander-wennberg

Horvat probably tops out in the high-50s but becomes a top two-way guy. But I bet he'll be reliable, which is valuable in fantasy - you'll count on him to get what he gets and he'll pull through.

Hayes is risk/reward. He'll never get 70, but if he gets his act together this season then there's hope for 60 or 65 before he's 27. I'd like to see low-50s from him this year and if I don't, then I'll write off 60 for upside and re-evaluate. I like him, but when the team got Eric Staal for the second half, Hayes was unable to get rolling.
    I think Dumba is going to be a star and a 60-plus defenseman, but give that three years or more.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    We've added another category to our rotisserie league (hits & blocks). Other categories are G, A, PTS, +\-
    Wondering if it should impact my keeper selections on D.
    Need to choose 2 from Hedman, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Parayko.
    Appreciate your insight - thanks
    I don't think so. I still think you keep Hedman and Shattenkirk. Their points-per-game will still easily beat AP and Parayko

Dobber Sports Rookie

14 Team Keeper League: Generic categories plus FOW, Hits, and Blocks

I'm down to my last keeper spot and it's between Saad and JVR. JVR's injury woes are a concern, but with the influx of young talent coming to Toronto (that may also include Stamkos) this upcoming season, how would you gauge JVR's value for 2016-17 and beyond? Is he the better choice than Saad if my team is in a "win-now mode?" Thanks!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaces View Post
    1. Will Adam Lowry ever reach his power forward potential and when will he be a 45 or more pt player

2. Tomas Jurco- should I be worried about his lack of NHL production & his numerous scratches? Will he be relevant in the next couple of years in a 30 team ( count 9F ) points only league
    I'm very worried about Jurco and I think he's a dropsy right now, unless keeping him costs you nothing. But if it so much as costs you a roster spot, then I'd drop him and use the roster spot elsewhere. Barring a trade (or an expansion pick?) I don't think he can salvage things.

Lowry's upside isn't that high to begin with, but I do think he'll reach his potential in several years. 50 or 55 points sounds about right, but I'd pencil that in for 2020. The Jets have too many high-scoring top-six options that are young and on the rise.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by BranDOOM View Post
    Love the open mailbag, thanks Dobber! I've asked for help in the forums, but would appreciate your opinion on my keepers for next season (for league/players in signature). I won my league last year, and have a great group of players. Most are expensive though as I offloaded value in trades for the title.

I can keep 3 F, 2 D, 1 G.
    I am leaning towards: Tavares (38), Eichel (17), Marchand (14), Burns (21), Hedman (21), Bishop (29)

This provides a great core to build around, but only $160 left for draft, which will likely be the least for any GM.

This also leaves out Forsberg (14), Risto (6), Dubnyk (11)...some other solid options, and the latter two leaving me with more $$ at draft if I chose to hold them instead. Thanks again!
    I think value-wise you're doing the best you can here. I don't think the numbers you keep are horrible, especially given the high price for Fleury and Kessel. I would keep Forsberg over Marchand, but that's the only change I'd make here. Riso and Dubie are great value players so you should try to trade them for picks if you can.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Hey Dobber! Thanks for doing this. If it's not too much to ask, when looking at my team below, how much would you offer to try to pry the 2nd overall pick (Laine) out of his manager's hands before the real NHL draft happens?

Keep in mind, I will be dropping E. Staal and one of Goligoski/Greiss (but that any player can be included in a trade) and that I own picks 12 and 36.

These are the stars on his team in case you need to know, the others not listed are fillers (he is a top 8 team in the league):

C - Spezza, Krejci, Little
    W - Kane, Hall, Schwartz, Okposo, JVR, Zuccarello
    D- McDonagh, Muzzin, Klefbom
    G - Crawford, Mason

Thanks in advance sir!
    I wouldn't go after Laine, if it was me. Prospects when they're drafted are way too overpriced. Think of Eichel - what would you have given up to acquire Eichel last June? And what was his price last November? See the diff?

Buf if you insist, I'd offer Toews and see what the 'big name' can land you

Dobber Sports Star

What's your view of Radulov? Stud or dud? Care to put a point range on him?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey Dobber,
    Thanx for doing this.

dynasty cap in first sig.
    Thinking of moving Hedman as he's due for a big raise on his extension. Thinking 8M+ and I don't think the others Barrie, Jones, and Yandle will be near that. I find it easier to move a big name player before they get their extension.
    I'd look at Stamkos but I feel he's in a low value zone considering the year he had. My F bench will be used for cheaper waiver options.

My question is: Would you move Hedman or move another higher paid player?

Much appreciated
    DYNASTY Cap(127M) 12 Team
    G, A, PIM(.1), positive +/- D only, W(2), SO(2), OTL(1)
    23 + 4 IR + 7 prospects (locked in for season if under 200 GP)
    Start: 11F, 5D, 2G - 82 games each slot

F: Crosby, Malkin, Aho, Rantanen, Batherson, Boldy, Kempe, Pavelski, Duchene, Hagel, Frost [Duclair, Farabee, Jenner]
    D: Fox, Karlsson, Hamilton, Letang, Montour
    IR:
    G: Sorokin, Kuemper[Husso, Kochetkov]

P: Stankoven, Tomasino, Vilardi, Sanderson, York, Zellweger, Wahlstrom
    Roster Cap Breakdown

DYNASTY Cap (110M) 12 Team 2
    G, A, PIM(.1), Positive +/- D only(0.5), Hattie(3), W(2), SO(3), OTL(1)
    League & Roster Info

Dobber Sports Stud

What are your thoughts on Trochek going forward?

Is last season's production sustainable? Can he go higher?

Dobber Sports Icon

Darnell Nurse - what do you think the next 3 years look like for him? Has his offense been over-estimated?
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Basically just my signature.....

Please help me choose 10 keepers
    G,A,PPP,Hits,SOG
    W,GAA,SV%,SO

Crosby, Ovie, Giroux, Perry, Pavelski, Fleury, Lundqvist, Ghost, Josi, Simmonds, Larkin, Bergeron, Marchand, Huberdeau
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Fleury, Lundqvist, Gostisbehere, Josi are for sure. Next wave I'd go with Perry, Pavelski, Giroux. Out of what's left I would keep Simmonds under those rules

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Thanks for doing this.

Points only keeper in sig. If I look to trade Malkin, what would (or should) be the market return for him? A lot of people are worried about his injury status, but he's a superstar, so I never feel like I am offered enough.
    I'm in the same boat, so I'm content with keeping him. He's going to get hurt three out of four years and miss 10-15 games. So you're keeping him as a 75-point (in 68 games) player...and then that one healthy year when he wins the scoring title. But then...by that theory, he's due in 2016-17!

Nobody will give you what he is worth, and you shouldn't lower your standards as a result of that. I'm in 'buy' mode for Malkin. I own him in one league - not shopping him. And in the other league I'm seeing how cheap I can get him

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyn View Post
    Dylan Larkin for Steven Stamkos.
    Categories: G A +/- Pim PPG PPA SHP GWG FW Shots Hits Blocks DPts
    Head-to-Head Each Category.
    Would you pull the trigger on this deal?
    I would prefer Stamkos here for sure. Proven guy, and I'm really not all that concerned about the blood clots - it's a different situation than it was with other players. Different reasons for it, not a chronic issue.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Hi Dobber,

In a points only league, whick one would you keep between: Burakovsky, Zibanejad and Teravainen.

Also, would you consider D.Pouliot over them? I don't have a specific need (F or D).

Thanks
    I would keep Teravainen over the other two. Probably the least proven, but the highest upside. I think he's safe though. And no to Pouliot, if you dont' require D then there is no need to ever risk an unproven D