Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the baseball fans??

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Where are all the baseball fans??

I get that this is mainly a fantasy hockey site.....but I am surprised with the lack of MLB talk that goes on around here in the summer. Im trying to post as much as I can about my multiple team dilemmas, but for the most part I'm only getting responses from 2 or 3 guys.

I find fantasy baseball to be my favorite of the 3 sports I play for a number of reasons.......but maybe Im alone in that.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Where are all the baseball fans??

Baseball literally adopted a stat created for Fantasy Baseball (WHIP), it’s the ultimate sport for fantasy. The amount of resources out there for baseball is insane tho. I’ve posted on players and what not before, but felt like I was yelling knowledge at 5 people.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

It definitely is a tougher crowd. I think it's a combination of many things. First off, the fact that there is a smaller community here, so it grows more slowly. Second, that the Dobber Baseball site doesn't have the same amount of traffic, likely due to the fact there aren't the same daily ramblings like with Hockey. Third, as 2014OG said, there are a ton of baseball resources out there, whereas for hockey there is nowhere close to Dobber.
    I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the biggest things that I see.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

As much as I'm a huge baseball fan (hard not to be growing up near Toronto in the late 80s/early 90s), I've never really been involved with fantasy baseball. I ran a league with some coworkers a few years ago, most of whom were in either my Dynasty league for hockey or at least the one year hockey pool we ran there. Trouble was, people just kind of lost interest. I think only myself (came 2nd) and the guy who won really set our daily rosters for the full season, the other 6 guys all but stopped by late July. Its definitely something I'd like to get back into, but as it stands, I'm more of a fan, and less of a fantasy guy for baseball.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Expert

Same problem re Football

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Same problem re Football
    With regards to football, I never grew up with it, and last year was my first year doing fantasy for it, just to see what all the buzz was about, and to diversify a little. Football was nice, but I think the fact that there's only one game a week, allows fantasy players to not be as committed. It's the opposite with baseball, with needing to change so often, that I think a lot of people lose interest because games are on every day, and if you miss one then it's not a big deal.
    On the flip side however for baseball (and football to an extent) it is very easy to set your lineup and leave it, and still do well. With hockey, and the way the schedule works there, if you don't set your lineups daily, you often fall behind very quickly.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Ace

I am more of a Dodgers fan than an overall baseball fan. As such, I know the names of only a few players and sometimes I even struggle with the Dodgers players the last few years. Because of this, I hope you appreciate that I offer no input into baseball related questions.

Dobber Sports Stud

All due Respect to Dobbersports but I ONLY seek hockey news and analysis here......

There is a site and a community called FANGRAPHS is it a fantasy baseball nerds wet dream.....there is literally no need for anything else beyond it in my eyes.....
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Genius

I wouldn't go to a predominately baseball/football/basketball site looking for relevant or in depth hockey news. *COUGH ESPN*
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Wolverine

It's been touched on and I agree that it's mainly to do with the number of other resources out there that people use, and the lack of summer activity on this site. If this site is not your first choice for baseball content, and you primarily come here for hockey, then it's not surprising that there is little activity. I play in a couple baseball leagues but I don't tend to contribute much (asking or answering) just because I have other sources and tend to just make my own decisions based on that (for better or worse haha!).

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    All due Respect to Dobbersports but I ONLY seek hockey news and analysis here......

There is a site and a community called FANGRAPHS is it a fantasy baseball nerds wet dream.....there is literally no need for anything else beyond it in my eyes.....
    Fangraphs gives me a statsgasm
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I love baseball, love watching baseball, and I absolutely love the Blue Jays..

I just don't have enough time in my day/summer for fantasy baseball.. I can talk baseball, I can write baseball, I just can't muscle the grind of fantasy baseball..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I love baseball, love watching baseball, and I absolutely love the Blue Jays..

I just don't have enough time in my day/summer for fantasy baseball.. I can talk baseball, I can write baseball, I just can't muscle the grind of fantasy baseball..
    Man....you are missing out! Have you tried it out though? People think it's a lot because games are every day but I mean.....Any league Im in has had a roster size like this:

C,1B,2B,3B,SS, either 3 x OF or LF,CF,RF for offense

For pitching normally there is something like

SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

So basically I never hold more than one extra batter which means I barely look at them. And pitching....you swap in your SP when they start.

I actually find it less taxing than the NHL scheduling because for example, I know my 1B is Paul Goldschmidt and he's playing every day aside from the occasional game they dont play or he is dressed....either way Im not carrying a backup 1B so I don't look at him

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Man....you are missing out! Have you tried it out though? People think it's a lot because games are every day but I mean.....Any league Im in has had a roster size like this:

C,1B,2B,3B,SS, either 3 x OF or LF,CF,RF for offense

For pitching normally there is something like

SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

So basically I never hold more than one extra batter which means I barely look at them. And pitching....you swap in your SP when they start.

I actually find it less taxing than the NHL scheduling because for example, I know my 1B is Paul Goldschmidt and he's playing every day aside from the occasional game they dont play or he is dressed....either way Im not carrying a backup 1B so I don't look at him
    Hello my friend, I used to be in 3 or 4 leagues a season.. Maybe that was my problem, HaHa.. I just don't have time with how busy my kids keep me.. Maybe I will join a dobberbaseball fantasy league next season, that could get me back into it!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Hello my friend, I used to be in 3 or 4 leagues a season.. Maybe that was my problem, HaHa.. I just don't have time with how busy my kids keep me.. Maybe I will join a dobberbaseball fantasy league next season, that could get me back into it!!
    We'll have to get one going for the dobberbaseball community.