Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Next year's breakout goalies

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Next year's breakout goalies

hi everyone
    I posted the same kind of thread last offseason. who are gonna be next year's breakout goalies? i'm not as much interested in discussing which current starters will take the next step towards elite status. i'm more interested in which goalies who aren't starters will become starters next year. and i'm not interested in guys who were in a 505/50 timeshare like allen/Elliott or Gibson/Andersen, since all four are bonafide starter material in most people's minds.
    I feel like there aren't many holes to fill. one team will most probably trade for Freddie Andersen (Calgary?). m.a. fleury and ben bishop could be available (and murray and vasilevskiy's price are sky-high). that doesn't leave too much room for backups or prospects to become starters.
    I think everyone expects connor hellebucyk to take over at some point this year in Winnipeg, but everyone knows how good he is, so he's like murray and vas.

I gotta give props to pmorrow for predicting martin jones as this year's goalie breakout. that was way before he was traded to san jose.

here are my thoughts:
    teams without a clear cut starter - Toronto, Carolina, dallas, calgary
    teams with injury prone starter - buffalo, ny islanders (but greiss is probably overvalued right now), Philadelphia (but I don't think you can consider michal neuvirth a breakout candidate, he's been quite well known for years already), Columbus, Colorado
    if Calgary doesn't sign or trade for one of the top goalies on the market, and goes with a ramo/reamer(reimer btw another candidate for this thread!) tandem, or something like that, then maybe jon gillies comes in and steals the job at some point this year.
    dallas' situation is a mess. it'll be tough for them to get rid of both their goalies. maybe they buy out of them, but then the other becomes the de-facto starter.
    it looks to me like Toronto isn't ready to make a playoff push yet, and they're gonna try another season with bernier/sparks/bibeau before making a big splash next offseason.
    ward is probably done in Carolina. they're a prime candidate for someone like Fredrik Andersen. maybe they make a splash and go after bishop? or do they just stick with eddie lack (and maybe james reamer)?

seeing as though robin lehner is just about as injury prone as they come, i'll suggest linus ullmark as a major breakout candidate. chad Johnson isn't gonna be around next year, so ullmark will be the backup. he shared the starter's job with Johnson last year when lehner went down, and didn't do too badly, but this year he'll have a bit more experience and what should be a much better team in front of him.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Next year's breakout goalies

This pick may surprise you, but Calvin Pickard in Colorado is due to make a splash sooner than later. Semyon Varlamov is injury prone, and Pickard looks ready to jump in when that happens. And Colorado can't get any worse, can they?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

I think Demko is another guy that may make an impact, he could back up next year if the Canucks move out a goalie and has the talent to be an impact player pretty quick, although the team infront of him is going to suck for awhile.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Titan

I like the Pickard pick.
    One name I'll toss out as a bit of a wildcard is Anton Forsberg. If/when Bob gets injured again, one of Korpisalo or Foreberg will have to take over. Forsberg is running with the job in the Ahl playoffs right now, so a bit of a darkhorse there.
    Lack I like for a big bounce back too.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I like the Pickard prediction by Bottlenecker..
    Brossoit in Edmonton could steal some starts from Talbot next season..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

Lack......that Carolina Defense gets better every game they play
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Pro

One other LONG shot candidate is Ilya Sorokin, although not sure if he can leave the KHL yet due to contract obligations.

With Halak & Greiss not consistent, this guy could step in and produce immediately behind that team. Just check out his numbers in the KHL, outstanding.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    Lack......that Carolina Defense gets better every game they play
    This.

It is not about being an exceptional goalie. It is about having an exceptional opportunity. At this point (summer hasn't happened yet) Lack is in an ideal situation to breakout.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Stud

some good posts here. lots of love for calvin pickard, which makes sense since varlamov is injury-prone and not that good of a goalie.
    I REALLY liked the Forsberg choice. he took over from korpisalo in the ahl, and bob is injured multiple times every year, so next year he'll be the first one up. plus, he's probably a better goalie than korpisalo.
    demko is a possibility, but he's too great a prospect to acquire in a trade. he's the top goalie prospect right now, so he's nearly impossible to acquire for fairly cheap.
    lack as well, really hard to acquire already. but I agree, could definitely break out next year.

The Great One

whoever lands in Calgary... Ortio showed promise if you look at the month leading up to his injury but I don't believe he will skate all Summer. If they go out and get an Andersen or Reimer they are definite adds

TBH I am really high on Reimer wherever he lands as he has shown he can carry the load (last time the Leafs made the play offs) and for me was made a scapegoat when I don't think he was the reason for the implosion and then the Leafs subsequent commitment to Bernier. As he will dictate his move I can see him landing in a pretty good set up to give himself a shot

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    I think Demko is another guy that may make an impact, he could back up next year if the Canucks move out a goalie and has the talent to be an impact player pretty quick, although the team infront of him is going to suck for awhile.
    Demko won't have an impact next year unless there is an injury. Look for Vancouver to place him as the backup in 2017/18. Miller's contract is up at the end of next season and the Canucks will let him walk allowing Markstrom to take over lead role as Demko grooms into the NHL life.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Demko won't have an impact next year unless there is an injury. Look for Vancouver to place him as the backup in 2017/18. Miller's contract is up at the end of next season and the Canucks will let him walk allowing Markstrom to take over lead role as Demko grooms into the NHL life.
    agreed.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    whoever lands in Calgary... Ortio showed promise if you look at the month leading up to his injury but I don't believe he will skate all Summer. If they go out and get an Andersen or Reimer they are definite adds
    Another vote for the future Calgary goalie, whoever gets that gig definitely shoots up my draft list next year.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Expert

Hellybucyk
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Titan

Per ADP Bernier will be a steal. His numbers sucked, and he’ll likely be 20th -30th goalie drafted. But during the back half of the yr when Reimer was gone, he had great numbers, but management was starting Sparks.

My goalie pick per ADP will be Bernier.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll