Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Imagined] Freddy Andersen to Dallas

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default [Imagined] Freddy Andersen to Dallas

With Gibson signed for the next three years and Andersen wanting a raise will the Ducks be open to offers? The need and the fit in Dallas are obvious. Nill has the Stars positioned nicely under the cap to be able to pay Andersen the kind of raise he's likely going to want. Dallas has 7 veteran UFAs and I think most will be allowed to walk given the wealth of NHL ready prospects. Throw in that cap space and a couple of savvy FA signings and the Stars take another step forward, especially if they land someone like Andersen to shore up their most glaring weakness.

With all that in mind, throw the Ducks an offer. Something along the lines of Niemi + Honka + roster player/pick/good prospect. Nill will have the cap space to be able to retain some of Niemi's salary which should make him more palatable to the Ducks as a 20-25 game backup for Gibson. Niemi can hold it together in spot starts during the regular season and then cede the crease entirely to Gibson in the post-season.

Or maybe the Stars buy out Lehtonen, retain Niemi, but put together another package with Honka and other pieces to go after Freddy? Does Nill gamble and try the offer sheet route and just go for more than what the Ducks want to pay for Andersen's services?
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: [Imagined] Freddy Andersen to Dallas

I could see the Stars having interest. They desperately need a goalie and the Ducks have two really good, young options. Only problem is that the Ducks would have to take one of Niemi or Lehtonen back but like you said, wouldn't be too bad if there was salary retained. I could see it happening. Maybe Nichushkin's involved?

Dobber Sports Wizard

I do think Nichushkin could be involved, very much so. The Stars are high on him still in spite of the struggles, but Nill has stated openly that nobody is off the table in the right deal, though obviously that does not include Jamie, Segs, or Klinger. I do think there is an equal chance that Niemi is retained and Lehtonen is bought out or shipped off to a cap floor team in a separate trade. Either way one of them has go and a workhorse goalie has to be found.

I...am your father.

Unless there's a buyout, I think they're stuck. A buyout would make things interesting though. I don't think they do it though. Too much pride (in his signing of Niemi) to give up after one year.

I say it's even odds that Andersen even gets traded this summer
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Wizard

I don't think pride really matters to Jim Nill in that he wouldn't put it ahead of the best interests of the Stars. If he did retain both it would be out of his well documented belief in patience and loyalty. Hence Ruff getting the chance to come back again this season after the disappointment of missing the playoffs in '14-'15 with a roster that should have at least been a wildcard team.

I can see Lehtonen being a buyout option. Just like they have the cap space to be able to retain salary if the Ducks were to entertain a trade involving Niemi, they also have the space to buyout Lehtonen. If they went that route then it's a different package going to the Ducks and one where I think Val is even more of a chip in play.

And even if the Ducks re-sign Andersen, I think the Stars would be wise to kick the tires on say a James Reimer. Before tonight's unfortunate injury to Ben Bishop I would have also included the possibility of Nill dialing up Yzerman and at least inquire about a deal. That always was a far longer shot than Andersen, and you can stick a fork in that idea now. But from Mike Heika's reporting Jim Nill always has feelers out for potential deals.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Andersen to Dallas? Sure could work.

Honka included in the deal? Not a chance. Ducks already have a ton of young D.

I could see Nichu being the centrepiece. If you're expecting Anaheim to take Niemi's salary though, let's go with Andersen for Niemi, Nichuskin, and Dallas' 1st round pick.

Let's not fall trap to the "Toronto" syndrome of proposing deals that only make sense for the team you're cheering for.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Alternatively, it costs you about 3.3 to buy out both Niemi and Lehtonen. Divide that in half and it basically means you're paying Seguin and Benn closer to what they're worth.

If I was Nill, I buy out both, trade this years first round pick for Andersen, and sign Anders Nillsson for cheap.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I threw Honka's name in the mix given he is arguably the Stars top prospect and frankly I don't know the exact needs of the Ducks.

I'm fine with dealing Val if the return is a goalie who can be a workhorse for the next 5+ years and is a clear improvement. To be fair, a dead mule laying in the crease most nights would constitute a major upgrade.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Alternatively, it costs you about 3.3 to buy out both Niemi and Lehtonen. Divide that in half and it basically means you're paying Seguin and Benn closer to what they're worth.

If I was Nill, I buy out both, trade this years first round pick for Andersen, and sign Anders Nillsson for cheap.
    I can't see them buying out both, but I get where you're headed. I still think Lehtonen is the more likely buyout option, and the one I would be most inclined to pursue if it was me making the call.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Andersen to Dallas? Sure could work.

Honka included in the deal? Not a chance. Ducks already have a ton of young D.

I could see Nichu being the centrepiece. If you're expecting Anaheim to take Niemi's salary though, let's go with Andersen for Niemi, Nichuskin, and Dallas' 1st round pick.

Let's not fall trap to the "Toronto" syndrome of proposing deals that only make sense for the team you're cheering for.

Just re-read this post. Let me state when I say move Niemi to the Ducks as part of a package, it's with the given that Dallas is going to have to retain a good chunk of his salary. That's something they have the means to do.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i don't see Andersen as being a good enough goalie to solve Dallas' goaltending woes. Their team is built on offense.

Benn
    Seguin
    Spezza
    Klingberg
    Sharp

Their best players are all offensive studs. Normally that wouldnt be an issue but the rest of the team isn't any better. Goligoski, Hemsky, Nichushkin etc.

Their D is the main problem. They should have went for Phaneuf or done something to fix it. Trading for any of the goalies available right now won't make a significant difference. I'd rather use the assets to improve the D.

Trade the 1st round pick + Nichushkin for a top 4 D.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think even Honker would be on the table if it meant a good goalie was coming to town!!

Too bad Lundqvist makes a ton of money because he would be a hell of a good fit in Dallas..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i don't see Andersen as being a good enough goalie to solve Dallas' goaltending woes. Their team is built on offense.

Benn
    Seguin
    Spezza
    Klingberg
    Sharp

Their best players are all offensive studs. Normally that wouldnt be an issue but the rest of the team isn't any better. Goligoski, Hemsky, Nichushkin etc.

Their D is the main problem. They should have went for Phaneuf or done something to fix it. Trading for any of the goalies available right now won't make a significant difference. I'd rather use the assets to improve the D.

Trade the 1st round pick + Nichushkin for a top 4 D.
    Aside from the goaltending another glaring weakness is how small their D is. One thing Ruff has been roundly criticized for during much of the second half of the season, and in the playoffs, is for not splitting up Goligoski and Klingberg. Klingberg would benefit greatly from playing with a bruiser like Johns versus Goli. Johns has the skills to be able to support Klingberg and to keep opponents from just teeing off on him, something he struggled with all season. Teams targeted Klinger and there was nobody there to make them pay for it, and Klingberg struggled to adapt to it and he took a step back defensively as a result. He also got himself into trouble by being too aggressive, and as Ruff likes to say, getting himself on the wrong side of the puck or making ill advised passes to exit the Stars end of the ice.

To that end, look for the Stars to have a vastly different look next season. Ritchie, Shore, McKenzie, Johns, Faksa and Lindell will all be up full time next season, and each is much bigger and more physical than what the Stars ran with this season. Yes, Faksa has been up for a good portion of this season and he has been notable for his play. He's proving to be quite a valuable asset in the third line role and he excels in the defensive aspects. Nemeth and Oleksiak should have bigger roles next season and were held back partly because of contracts, theirs(they couldn't be sent down w/o clearing waivers), and those of several vets. Yes those two also didn't seize the opportunity to force their way in, but they should get every chance to prove they belong this coming season. We'll see if they can fulfill expectations. Oleksiak has always been a work in progress but hasn't quite gotten it together. Nemeth looked very promising prior to getting his wrist slashed by Umberger's skate last season. I think of the two, Nemeth is the more likely to make an impact this upcoming season.

Some of the Stars best games in the second half of the season occurred when they had a significant number of those young guys on ice and the difference was very noticeable. They really didn't lose much in the high-octane offense, but had a lot more grit and snarl to go along with it. When they iced that heavy lineup they showed a lot of promise for what's to come. I think the Stars will be better by addition through subtraction if they allow guys like Demers, Jordie, even Goli to walk. Russell was never more than a rental. Goli I think could still work if he's split up from Klingberg and given a big body running mate, Lindell maybe. I think what comes into play with Goli more than anything is, how much money and term is he wanting in this next contract. I could see him pricing himself out of town given what the market has been paying for D lately and what he could potentially coax out on the open market. Folks in Big D have been pretty rough on him, and only he knows how he feels about that and whether or not it weighs into his decision making.

Throw in an Andersen or Lundqvist and look the hell out...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I think even Honker would be on the table if it meant a good goalie was coming to town!!

Too bad Lundqvist makes a ton of money because he would be a hell of a good fit in Dallas..
    The Stars have the cap space to make it work if Nill pulls the right trades off. The stumbling block would be Lundy's NMC.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Brett Ritchie and a 2nd round pick.

Reunite the Ritchie brothers, and Brett could be the perfect line mate for Getzlaf and Perry.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar