Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Raptors playoffs

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Raptors playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    You might score shooting the puck full ice at the end of a game for an ENG, but it's still a dumb choice to risk the icing over it. Process vs. results. Results based approaches usually lose, process based approaches usually win.
    That's not really an appropriate example of what we're talking about... pretty sure Curry would run down the clock and get to the foul line instead of dishing up a three if they have the lead on the final possession.

A more relevant example would be Curry creating a little space for himself with some crossovers and firing up a loosely contested three which he has a 45% chance of hitting even with a hand in his face vs. passing to a wide open Harrison Barnes who probably still only has a 35% chance of hitting it (but would be the smarter "shot selection" as defined by OG above).

Dobber Sports Titan

Well I originally said you don’t typically have your PG as your 3pt shooter because its harder to get him open for a high percentage 3…..Then you said tell chef Curry…..so you just told me Curry, even tho it is a higher percentage 3, he’s not shooting it open. They don’t run like a normal team, and if you took Curry and put him on any other “hard working team” he wouldn’t be breaking 3pt records for volume, but he’d prolly have a 55% 3pt shooting rather than a 45% that he has now.

Curry is an anomaly to the sport and I honestly hate the way the way the whole team plays. I do respect how good they are, but they’ve made the sport into just hitting 3s. Their defense isn’t that good, but they use the fact that they force teams to take 3s, and no one can shoot and keep up in a 3pt track rate with them.

Like did you see yesterday’s game? OKC was up by 13 and in a matter of a couple of minutes/few possessions GSW was up because of 3s and OKC trying to match sometimes. It’s a great way to win, it’s forward thinking, but it’s so dull. I do think the way they run plays to get Klay Thompson open is how a team typically does it, but if you’re half a second late getting to an open Klay, he’s hitting the 3. I would really like to see him on another team.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd rather watch a team hitting threes then just watching guys dunk. There's a lot more skill involved in a team that can hit the 3 compared to just throwing the ball down. For a while I thought actually shooting the basketball into the hoop was a dying skill.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd rather watch a team hitting threes then just watching guys dunk. There's a lot more skill involved in a team that can hit the 3 compared to just throwing the ball down. For a while I thought actually shooting the basketball into the hoop was a dying skill.
    To each his own.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Curry is an anomaly to the sport and I honestly hate the way the way the whole team plays. I do respect how good they are, but they’ve made the sport into just hitting 3s. Their defense isn’t that good, but they use the fact that they force teams to take 3s, and no one can shoot and keep up in a 3pt track rate with them.

Like did you see yesterday’s game? OKC was up by 13 and in a matter of a couple of minutes/few possessions GSW was up because of 3s and OKC trying to match sometimes. It’s a great way to win, it’s forward thinking, but it’s so dull. I do think the way they run plays to get Klay Thompson open is how a team typically does it, but if you’re half a second late getting to an open Klay, he’s hitting the 3. I would really like to see him on another team.
    I could not disagree with you more. I've been watching the NBA for decades and Golden State is the most exciting team I've ever witnessed (in any sport) and their success is one of the best things to happen to the NBA in a long time IMO.

They have broken the traditional cookie-cutter "build around the big guy in the middle" model (which leads to BORING basketball) and demonstrated that you can sustain an effective offense around speed, the three point threat and really good ball movement using smaller guys. Ever since GS won the championship last year, teams have become faster, smaller, and scoring and 3pts are way up. It makes for a much faster, more fluid product and it's way more exciting to watch than the slow, boring, in-and-out, post-up game that was so prevalent during the big-man era. Who wants to see that shit?

And the Warriors defense is AMAZING... you really think you make two consecutive finals appearances in the toughest conference on defense that "isn't that good"? Not sure what you've been watching bro...

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I could not disagree with you more. I've been watching the NBA for decades and Golden State is the most exciting team I've ever witnessed (in any sport) and their success is one of the best things to happen to the NBA in a long time IMO.

They have broken the traditional cookie-cutter "build around the big guy in the middle" model (which leads to BORING basketball) and demonstrated that you can sustain an effective offense around speed, the three point threat and really good ball movement using smaller guys. Ever since GS won the championship last year, teams have become faster, smaller, and scoring and 3pts are way up. It makes for a much faster, more fluid product and it's way more exciting to watch than the slow, boring, in-and-out, post-up game that was so prevalent during the big-man era. Who wants to see that shit?

And the Warriors defense is AMAZING... you really think you make two consecutive finals appearances in the toughest conference on defense that "isn't that good"? Not sure what you've been watching bro...
    Their defense is very much putting pressure on your offense to keep up. To me that’s not defense, or the traditional form of defense. Curry isn’t a top defensive point guard, I’d say he’s actually slightly below average. Thompson too. Green gets away with stuff he shouldn’t, but he is quite…revolutionary (not sure that’s the right word), but he fits the GSW mold.

The team is going to make the league all about 3s, which won’t be interesting when every team does it. They are very good at what they do, and they are a team that racks up 12pts in like a minute, which is exciting on paper to me. But really I don’t see it as exciting. The crowd at the Oracle makes it more exciting than it is I think (place is by far the loudest arena ever minus football).

They’re exciting to people (just my theory) because they are different. Once everyone goes small, some big tall guy who becomes a post up monster will just run over the small guys and shift it back. A guy getting dunked on, or a massive block gets more highlights than a long shot.

Again this is all personal opinion, but I am not a fan of the 3pt strategy because to me it’s boring, and once every team starts doing it, its gonna suck.

I don’t like GSW, but I do respect how good they are at what they do.