Thread: [Imagined] - RNH + to the Islanders for Hamonic, Kulemin

I...am your father.

Default [Imagined] - RNH + to the Islanders for Hamonic, Kulemin

The basis for this idea was floated in the comments section of the Ramblings today. In fact, a lot of rumors have been posted there. So I'll start re-posting them here for discussion. Some have merit, some don't. Most won't happen, of course, because deals that make sense rarely do.

This deal helps the Oilers on defense, and gives them a checking forward while getting rid of one of their 50 young first liners. The Isles don't get enough here I think, but would depend on what the + is...

It's a loooong summer, gang! Any good deals you think your team should do, post them here so we can be entertained
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: [Imagined] - RNH + to the Islanders for Hamonic, Kulemin

I don't see the Oilers' interest in Kulemin, but RNH for Hamonic as a basis for a trade makes a lot of sense to me.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    I don't see the Oilers' interest in Kulemin, but RNH for Hamonic as a basis for a trade makes a lot of sense to me.
    If the Oilers want Hamonic, the Islanders are probably going to squeeze them to take a bad contract like Kulemin's. I think that's why Dobber included him in the proposed offer. Of course they wont want him, but may be forced to do something like this to close the deal for Hamonic.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

oiler fans probably go bleeeech when thinking of kulemin but I tell ya he's quite the good defensive forward and he's built like a tank / deceptive speed too.

hamonic to edm has been beaten to death all year at isles board I visit but now that season is over I think isles are more open to trading him for a forward

I...am your father.

Some salary needs to go the other way too, so more of a salary dump for the Islanders. But I think Kulemin would be a useful guy for Edmonton
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

makes no sense to me. several reasons why:

1) RNH would be locked in as #2C for the isles. At 6M, he's on a great contract if he can play on the top line. If he's second fiddle you now have yourself an expensive #2C. It might not seem bad now but when Tavares doubles his contract in a couple seasons it will be close to $20M allocated on your top 2 Cs, which doesn't work unless you have two superstars like Sid/Geno.

2) They still have Strome/Barzal who can fill that #2C role much cheaper. Strome might be better off as a winger now (especially if Okposo leaves), but I think Barzal is being groomed for that #2C spot.

3)Isles want a similar D for Hamonic. Might not happen but if they acquire RNH they will still have to fix their D, and it will be much harder with his 6M cap hit on the books. That's why I think #4 for Hamonic would work better. They can either potentially find a cheap longterm winger for Tavares in Tkachuk, or select Chychrun/Juolevi who might be close to NHL ready. And the extra cap flexibility from moving Hamonic (and letting Okposo walk) can be used to sign/trade for a D replacement. Hamhuis will likely re-sign but perhaps they can lure Campbell out of Florida?

Probably more reasons but those are the obvious ones off the top of my head.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'll actually support this trade proposal.
    For me, it ticks off all the boxes.

1. EDM can spare RNH. I've always thought he was more of an NHL C2 anyways... but even then, he plays a bit too soft for me defensively.
    2. EDM needs an experienced two-way D, so Hamonic is a desired piece.
    3. This is the critical domino... NYI may NEED a C2. Lost in discussions is that perhaps one of the most desired NHL UFAs is the Isles Frans Nielsen. IMO - Nielsen is a $5m+ NHL C2. He's an underappreciated player and he may opt to sign elsewhere. In 600gp with the Isles, playing with inferior teammates on some really bad teams, Nielsen is a career +4. That's incredible. He's got Bergeron-like/lite two-way NHL value. And IF he leaves, EDM will need a C2.
    4. NYI may also need to fill not only Nielsen's possible departure, but that of Kyle Okposo as well - who is likely to get $6m+ on the open market - which means they'll be starved for offense.
    5. As for their own D, NYI has their top pairing in place and I think both Hickey/DeHaan are adequate 2nd pairing type guys - both are maturing well. Puloch is ready for full time 3rd pairing minutes

I'm all aboard this trade.
    But it is conditional on Nielsen/Okposo and what NYI knows, internally, about whether they can keep those guys or whether they are on their way out.

Dobber Sports Pro

Travis Hamonic has reportedly rescinded his request to be traded.
    He originally asked to be traded last September to be close to his Winnipeg home, but he ended up playing the entire season with the Islanders. Now, it is being reported that he doesn't want to be moved, which is good news for New York.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Expert

Just because he's recinded the trade request doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't get move. What it does is give the Isles the upper hand in trade negotiations once again.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Just because he's recinded the trade request doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't get move. What it does is give the Isles the upper hand in trade negotiations once again.
    Agree with this but I can't see why the Isles would want to move him? He's a lower end top pairing guy signed to a great contract.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Expert

Agree with this but I can't see why the Isles would want to move him? He's a lower end top pairing guy signed to a great contract.
    If I were the Islanders I wouldn't move him either. But if the return is good and elevates the team, absolutely it should be considered.

Dobber Sports Pro

How about RNH to NJ for Larsson?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hamonic started the Trade issue. To my knowledge, there was never any appetite, or none that we know of, where Isles wanted to initiate a trade. My guess this whole things blows over.

slide down the coast to Tampa and Drouin... Same reason, same result 2.0 (mark it down!)

Dobber Sports Pro

I think they probably would have traded him at the trade deadline when he asked if they were keen on trading him
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot