Thread: Firefox and Stop Scripts

The Great One

Default Re: Firefox and Stop Scripts

Why do people still use firefox?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    It's a fine browser. A lot of it comes down to personal choice when it comes to brower preferences. The issue is very clearly a forum/advertisement one. It's broken and needs to be fixed.

Dobber Sports Pro

Because it is a web browser
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Superstar

Because it's functional and free, and most importantly, it's not Internet Explorer (or whatever Microsoft is calling it these days).

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Because it's functional and free, and most importantly, it's not Internet Explorer (or whatever Microsoft is calling it these days).
    Explorer had been getting better in recent times, and Edge will be fine to use as well once it matures a bit.

The Great One

I've read three replies and none give me a reason why I should use it.

1) Because it's a web browser....Great input! Solid reasoning here.
    2) Because it's free....All of them are free.
    3) Because it's a fine browser...Sure, can't change your mind, I guess.

If someone came here and said "All sites are now compatible with FireFox" or "they fixed the high CPU usage when running FireFox".

Or even "Firefox now uses the address field as a search and displaying the site your on"

3 things that off the top of my head is why FireFox is broken.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If someone came here and said "All sites are now compatible with FireFox" or "they fixed the high CPU usage when running FireFox".

Or even "Firefox now uses the address field as a search and displaying the site your on"

You just don't like the reasons. Too bad for you. I am sure you can find Dobberbrowserwars.com to go argue with some other Browser cultists about why their favorite browser is the best and everything else is of the devil.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

well it's not like any of those reasons you listed are fixed in any other browser. even Chrome has site compatibility issues, and hogs a tonne of memory. the default search for the address bar does go to google, but you can easily change that in firefox too.

in fact for the average user there's barely any difference between chrome and firefox. the big difference i guess would be the extensions available, but the frequent ones i use have similar versions available on each.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    the default search for the address bar does go to google, but you can easily change that in firefox too.
    ^ That's not what I meant.

Also, Chrome uses more memory because it considers each tab/addon as a separate process. So if one of them fails, the whole browser doesn't fail. Unlike FF.

Anyway, I agree its close now. It wasn't when Chrome first came out. It was head and shoulders above all other browsers. Now it's still ahead but not by much.

The only advantage I'd give Firefox is it's extensions. Also FF has always been the benchmark in terms of privacy and security, which you could argue is why it will never replace Chrome.

The number one reason why Chrome is considered the best browser is because of its integration. Gmail, the whole Google Drive, Google Calendar, even Google Maps is the best (head and shoulders better) with all it's mapping sensors, etc.

Firefox wins on extensions, privacy and security. Chrome wins on everything else. Simplicity and smoothness, integration, speed, syncing capabilities, chrome is better for developers which means it'll grow just as fast as it has been, and a whole bunch of other shit that I don't want to write about cause this post is already larger than I intended it to be.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Chrome dropped to a distant third in my neck of the woods. Horrible for memory usage and when you set it as a default and then ever have to uninstall it, it completely breaks things on your computer. Absolute pain in the butt. Firefox is way out in front for us at work.

Though all of this has pretty much nothing to do with the fact that it's the website/ads that need fixing, not the browser.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

^ That's not what I meant.

Also, Chrome uses more memory because it considers each tab/addon as a separate process. So if one of them fails, the whole browser doesn't fail. Unlike FF.

Anyway, I agree its close now. It wasn't when Chrome first came out. It was head and shoulders above all other browsers. Now it's still ahead but not by much.

The only advantage I'd give Firefox is it's extensions. Also FF has always been the benchmark in terms of privacy and security, which you could argue is why it will never replace Chrome.

The number one reason why Chrome is considered the best browser is because of its integration. Gmail, the whole Google Drive, Google Calendar, even Google Maps is the best (head and shoulders better) with all it's mapping sensors, etc.

Firefox wins on extensions, privacy and security. Chrome wins on everything else. Simplicity and smoothness, integration, speed, syncing capabilities, chrome is better for developers which means it'll grow just as fast as it has been, and a whole bunch of other shit that I don't want to write about cause this post is already larger than I intended it to be.
    firefox is coming out with a multiprocess build, i think it's called electrolite or something like that. if you're really picky about having each tab independent then you can look into that, but i'm sure you're aware that will also lead to hogging more resources from your cpu. and i'm fairly certain there are dev builds out there right now that you can have multiprocess firefox.

as for privacy, well i suppose since Chrome = Google, there's definitely a higher chance of your privacy not being as secure as Firefox. but then again there are countless extensions you can use to beef up your privacy settings. still not as good as firefox's ability to let you customize a lot of settings, so i'd agree with you there.

like i said, to the average user there's not going to be much difference between using chrome and firefox. having 30 tabs open isn't a good idea regardless what browser you use.

i think we can all agree on one thing though...

**** IE.

The Great One

I use to get script errors on dobber's site all the time in firefox. it made this site unusable.

Then I downloaded "YesScript", added Dobber's site to the app, and I don't think I've had a script error in over a year.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/yesscript/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    It's crashing for me non-stop and I can't figure out why. I'll get it though...

It only crashes after the page has been loaded for a couple of minutes. Then shockwave errors.
    any progress? Seemed fine yesterday but its doing it again today.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This appears to be fixed now.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I use “YesScript” which I guess does the same thing. But when I post when it’s armed, I can’t post multiple paragraphs. It’ll lump them all into 1 big paragraph.
    Try NoScript - I use that and have never had posting problems.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin