Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/17 DobberHockey Tiered Invitational: 10-Year Anniversary!

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: DobberHockey Tiered Invitational 2016/17: 10-Year Anniversary!

points only + switch to fantrax give me a call

Big Daddy

Default Re: DobberHockey Tiered Invitational: 10 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If I had any interest in Roto leagues, I'd be all over these, but I simply cant get into them.
    Samsies. Not a fan of Roto at all, otherwise I'd love to be apart of a Dobber league.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Immortal

I want back in. Was in what must be 5 years ago now but want another go.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I might have missed it...but where are these leagues hosted?

Gotta be on Fantrax right?
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Wrist_Shot View Post
    I might have missed it...but where are these leagues hosted?

Gotta be on Fantrax right?
    It's mentioned in the Overview, but no, they are on Yahoo. They have been since the competition started, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Obviously, if there is a league-wide desire to move it to Fantrax, that may change at some point. But at the moment there hasn't been much feedback on wanting to make that change.

Banned

You guys should consider making this a money league, no?

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiens2099 View Post
    You guys should consider making this a money league, no?
    Since its inception ten years ago, there has been no entry fee to participate in this competition. It encourages anyone from this site who wants to have a go at competing against fellow Dobber members, to be a part of a fun competition. By making it a money league, you risk losing a lot of members (myself included) because many people do not want to pay to play fantasy sports; they don't want to take it that seriously. Others do, and that's fine. However, it's not for this competition. We're also trying to grow further so having it free will hopefully make it easier to do so.

If, down the road, someone else is running it and gets feedback from the majority of managers that they want it as a money league, then they can look into it. While I am running it, and not having that desire to change from managers, it will remain a free competition.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    It's mentioned in the Overview, but no, they are on Yahoo. They have been since the competition started, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Obviously, if there is a league-wide desire to move it to Fantrax, that may change at some point. But at the moment there hasn't been much feedback on wanting to make that change.
    I'm definitely interested. Would be even more so if dough was involved and was on Fantrax (that Yahoo scoring issue at the end of this season was entirely unacceptable).

Just a heads up, I looked again horrorfan and I'm certain Yahoo is not mentioned in your first post here.
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

Banned

Since its inception ten years ago, there has been no entry fee to participate in this competition. It encourages anyone from this site who wants to have a go at competing against fellow Dobber members, to be a part of a fun competition. By making it a money league, you risk losing a lot of members (myself included) because many people do not want to pay to play fantasy sports; they don't want to take it that seriously. Others do, and that's fine. However, it's not for this competition. We're also trying to grow further so having it free will hopefully make it easier to do so.

If, down the road, someone else is running it and gets feedback from the majority of managers that they want it as a money league, then they can look into it. While I am running it, and not having that desire to change from managers, it will remain a free competition.
    I hear what you're saying. Was suggesting putting a bit of money on the line and spreading the prize money because in one year Roto leagues, the bottom half in the standings tend to lose interest by the all star break. For example, 12 owners at $25 each gives you a $300 pool.

1st $70
    2nd $60
    3rd $50
    4th $40
    5th $30
    6th $25
    7th $25

total $300

this way you have teams playing for something the whole year, especially when you factor in the relegation component. Also with the top 7 winning enough to cover entry fees for next year, you jsy roll the money over for fees and payout the difference to those who won more than $25.

Anyway, I respectfully hear what you're saying about the historical setup, it's just Roto leagues get boring and people checkout if the can't win and there is nothing to play for. A middle of the pack team in your setup 4th to 8th will be on autopilot if they can't win and have no risk of being relegated.

It was just a thought, cheers!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Wrist_Shot View Post
    I'm definitely interested. Would be even more so if dough was involved and was on Fantrax (that Yahoo scoring issue at the end of this season was entirely unacceptable).

Just a heads up, I looked again horrorfan and I'm certain Yahoo is not mentioned in your first post here.
    See what I've quoted and bolded in the first paragraph:

Overview
    For those not familiar with it, this is a tiered competition consisting of annual one-year rotisserie leagues, held on Yahoo, and run and participated by members of DobberHockey. Previously managed by Dobber himself, this competition began in 2007 so next season will be the 10-year anniversary!

The Wolverine

I hear what you're saying. Was suggesting putting a bit of money on the line and spreading the prize money because in one year Roto leagues, the bottom half in the standings tend to lose interest by the all star break. For example, 12 owners at $25 each gives you a $300 pool.

1st $70
    2nd $60
    3rd $50
    4th $40
    5th $30
    6th $25
    7th $25

total $300

this way you have teams playing for something the whole year, especially when you factor in the relegation component.

Anyway, I respectfully hear what you're saying about the historical setup, it's just Roto leagues get boring and people checkout if the can't win and there is nothing to play for. A middle of the pack team in your setup 4th to 8th will be on autopilot if they can't win and have no risk of being relegated.

It was just a thought, cheers!
    Don't mind the suggestion. As for roto leagues getting boring, I strongly disagree. Those who enjoy roto leagues will play until the end, no matter their place in the standings. The proof is what has been shown in these leagues. For some, money makes it more interesting, but I don't want that to be reason people are more interested in these leagues. I want people to be interested in these leagues because they enjoy the game and the challenge. It's not always about winning, but improving and then hopefully giving it another go the next year and so on. Trust me, while I've been in these leagues, they have been very active. In the Pro last year (where I play), pretty much everyone was active until the end of the season.

Banned

Don't mind the suggestion. As for roto leagues being boring, I disagree. Those who enjoy roto leagues will play until the end, no matter their place in the standings. The proof is what has been shown in these leagues. For some, money makes it more interesting, but I don't want that to be reason people are more interested in these leagues. I want people to be interested in these leagues because they enjoy the game and the challenge. It's not always about winning, but improving and then hopefully giving it another go the next year and so on. Trust me, while I've been in these leagues, they have been very active. In the Pro last year (where I play), pretty much everyone was active until the last couple weeks of the season.
    Lets just agree to disagree. Most Roto leagues I've been in, 50% people tend to check out if the are out of contention

The Wolverine

Lets just agree to disagree. Most Roto leagues I've been in, 50% people tend to check out if the are out of contention
    I don't dispute the fact that it happens, but I believe that many of those managers either are more casual or don't really enjoy roto leagues as much as perhaps other formats. If you're in a competitive roto league with committed managers who enjoy the format (I'm in another free one that I commish with Dobber members), they will not check out. Blame the managers, not the format. Anyway, that's just my opinion based on experience. Yeah, we can agree to disagree.

Banned

I don't dispute the fact that it happens, but I believe that many of those managers either are more casual or don't really enjoy roto leagues as much as perhaps other formats. If you're in a competitive roto league with committed managers who enjoy the format (I'm in another free one that I commish with Dobber members), they will not check out. Blame the managers, not the format. Anyway, that's just my opinion based on experience. Yeah, we can agree to disagree.
    Sounds good, I wish you all the best with the leagues but commitment of league managers and league setup is a two way street. I have a friend on this forum who is in the main keeper I play in. He said there use to be 4 entry leagues and 2 pro leagues inn the tiered leagues. Now you have just two entry leagues and one pro league which suggests interest has faded, no?

The Wolverine

Sounds good, I wish you all the best with the leagues but commitment of league managers and league setup is a two way street. I have a friend on this forum who is in the main keeper I play in. He said there use to be 4 entry leagues and 2 pro leagues inn the tiered leagues. Now you have just two entry leagues and one pro league which suggests interest has faded, no?
    Well, I don't think the fact that it's a free roto competition has anything to do with the reduction of leagues since it's been this way since the start. There has been a lot of turnover for managing these leagues since Dobber stopped running it a few years ago. For some, it was a lot of work to maintain that level of commitment and life got too busy. Also, Dobber had the opportunity and resources to keep it going strong e.g. using the annual guide to promote it to get more interest. Since he left it's been a few forum members who tried to keep it going as best they could. I took over during this past season and realised there were some challenges but took them on to see how I can make it grow. Now I'm putting together a plan to hopefully get it back to the level of interest there was before. Changes are coming, which will be confirmed later this summer.