Thread: The G in Toronto (?)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default The G in Toronto (?)

So who is going to be the starting goalie for Toronto next year, 2017? What about the year after, 2018?

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: The G in Toronto (?)

They will trade for Andersen in Anaheim.....Bernier will backup
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports All-Star

Bernier.

Dobber Sports Deity

The true answer to the question is, f#*k knows!

Bernier is still signed for one more season so chances are he will be back (I dont see many teams jumping at the opportunity to acquire him right now) but it's hard to say who his partner will be next season. Do they stick with Garrett Sparks, who is a RFA at seasons end and let those two battle it out for wins and losses or do they go out and bring in someone for a long term answer?

If you look in their system, Stalock is a UFA and is more than likely gone. Bibeau is only 21 and is having a decent year in the AHL. This season his wins are way up but his GAA and SV% are actually lower than his rookie professional season from a year ago. Is he the long term answer in Toronto? Even if he is, he's still a couple seasons away at best from full time duties in Toronto.

The only thing I am confident in is seeing Bernier back in Toronto next year and Garrett Sparks should get himself another two-way deal. Other than that, it's anyones guess. I doubt the Leafs even know the answer to this question at this time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

[QUOTE=Axeman33;1599218]The true answer to the question is, f#*k knows!

Bernier is still signed for one more season so chances are he will be back (I dont see many teams jumping at the opportunity to acquire him right now) but it's hard to say who his partner will be next season. Do they stick with Garrett Sparks, who is a RFA at seasons end and let those two battle it out for wins and losses or do they go out and bring in someone for a long term answer?

If you look in their system, Stalock is a UFA and is more than likely gone. Bibeau is only 21 and is having a decent year in the AHL. This season his wins are way up but his GAA and SV% are actually lower than his rookie professional season from a year ago. Is he the long term answer in Toronto? Even if he is, he's still a couple seasons away at best from full time duties in Toronto.

The only thing I am confident in is seeing Bernier back in Toronto next year and Garrett Sparks should get himself another two-way deal. Other than that, it's anyones guess. I doubt the Leafs even know the answer to this question at this time.[/QUOTE]

Bernier needs a really solid full season next year to remain in Toronto any further.

Totally agree with Axeman's comments on Bibeau, he has looked sensational at times, but is at a minimum a full season away from any prolonged NHL look - barring injuries.

I don't see any other tandem starting in Toronto next year besides Bernier & Sparks. For better or worse, that's the most likely tandem in October.

I don't think management is happy or content with the goalies in the system as a long term option. They need to draft 1 if not 2 goalies in this seasons draft

#draftCarterHart
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

My guess is it will be a six-headed monster and the "#1" title will flip-flop all year.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Next yr, Bernier + Other. Other is either Sparks or (R)FA. If Andersen is that “other” goalie, it’ll still be a 60/40 split in starts I think. Just a hunch they still ride 2 goalies (favouring 1 slightly) for the season.

After next yr, and without knowing what’s going to happen in the offseason we can’t determine who’s the goalie.

I like Sparks, I think he has rebound issues, but that’s because he’s focusing on just stopping the puck right now. With more starts, I think he learns to control things a bit better. Bernier has shown recently he can play in the NHL, but who knows if this is sustainable. He could have just had a thing with Reimer. But he’s got 3 wins in 4 games with a 1.27GAA, 0.958S%, facing 30shots and saving 28.8 of them. He’s done well.

The issue is, if Bernier wanted 8+mill/2yrs with his previous stats, what would he want if he has good stats?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Reimer will have better options out there than Toronto.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Reimer will have better options out there than Toronto.
    Calgary
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hopefully a discouraged, mediocre Bernier who will continue to generously let in soft goals. Need to stockpile those draft picks!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'll add my two cents for the fun of it, even though it is just adding to consensus. My bet is that management plans for another bad year. They will field a bunch of their young guys and let them use the year as development and team building. There will be LOTS of mistakes and Babcock will make every single one a learning opportunity. If I am right then who gives an F who is in net. In reality you want someone like Bernier who is going to let in bad goals and make mistakes. More learning opportunities!

If they tried to move Bernier now they would be lucky to get a bag of pucks. So why not hold on and let him play. Either he plays like crap and they sit in a nice draft spot and his value stays the same. Or he turns it around and they try and move him (more picks!).

So...

Toronto will keep Bernier as their 'starter' and find a backup (could be Sparks). Depending on who they choose as their second goalie the split will range between 70/30 to 50/50.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Next year, 2016-17:
    I think it is either Bernier or a backup who steals a job from him. I wouldn't be surprised for them to go after a guy like Neuwirth who has some pedigree and may be available, if they come cheaply enough on a 1-2 year deal.

For 2017-18:
    The likely starter is a guy who is brought in from outside, or possibly Bibeau if he shows enough next year in the AHL, and can get on the Leafs in a backup role late next year. I would bet on the former, adn the goalie being a cheap signing, unless Bibeau regresses to the point that they need to find a new long-term starter, and are done with tanking.