Thread: Dynasty goalie advice needed - Fleury, Halak, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Dynasty goalie advice needed - Fleury, Halak, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck

My league is a 10 team, head-to-head, true dynasty, with 33 man rosters, and we keep all 33, with a 2 round draft at the beginning of the year for new draftees, and free agents. There is no salary cap. The league has been going for 20 years. Where the league gets odd is in the scoring system:

1. Only 1 game per week per NHL team counts, the first game the team plays during our league week. Only 1 goalie's stats count, unless you start a NHL team's tandem, which gives you insurance against injury and a guy getting pulled with a horrid save percentage.

2. Weekly Lineup is 12 F, 6 D , 2 G

3. Scoring involves only skater goals/assists and goalie save percentage with a shutout bonus. That's it. Skaters score goals, and goalies prevent them in our scoring format. For skaters, goals are the primary thing, and you need enough assists to get your goals scored (there is a chance of the goal needing 0, 1, or 2 assists). A huge pile of assists with no goals is worthless. Goalies save goals based on relative save% differences between the teams, and you can get save% bonus by loading up on defensemen from your starting goalie's NHL team.

Teams carry 2.5 goalies on average. Due to defense injuries, I needed to pick up Russell for the first round of the playoffs, and am now ready to drop him since Klingberg is back. I want to grab a third goalie again. I narrowed it down to these four guys: Fleury, Halak, Bobrovsky, and Hellebuyck.

Before anyone asks, Fleury is on the wire because I put him there. I had rostered him for years, and was using him as a starter, or more recently in tandem with Holtby. Holtby has clearly taken over the #1 job for me, so Fleury was simply a depth option. I also have Mrazek, who is younger and better in my league than Fleury, due to a higher save%, and putting up more quality starts.

Which of Fleury, Halak, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck do you think is most reliable moving forward, given that it don't care about wins or GAA?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Dynasty goalie advice needed - Fleury, Halak, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck

Fleury is the most reliable of the four guys you mentioned right now, and in the near future. In another season or two, Hellebuyck may be the guy you want. I guess it depends if you are just looking at now (Fleury) or later (Hellebuyck)?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Padawan

Fleury. I'm a big hellboy fan but have to go with fleury here.

I...am your father.

Fleury is 100% your guy. How do you track such a league? I'd think it would have to be manual...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure Fleury, even with his mediocre quality start% at times in his career, was the guy I wanted.

Yes, Dobber, it has been manually tracked, with spreadsheet/database assistance for the last decade plus. We submit lineups in spreadsheet form now, and the commish gets the results back fairly quickly. The commishes over the years have done a very good job.

Our draft used to be a slow draft via email, but we are back to using lists if you aren't online for the live draft on Facebook.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Give me Fleury hands down and then Hellebuyck.. Bobrovsky is too much of a band-aid for me..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Fleury today and for the forseeable future.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."