Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Made an offer for Ja Benn. Too much? Rep...

Dobber Sports Star

Default Made an offer for Ja Benn. Too much? Rep...

So, in my 24 team dynasty keeper cap league, the owner of Ja Benn put him on the market. I didn't even make an offer at first because I expected the asking price to be too high. I saw some of the initial offers, and fealt they were laughable. The Benn owner then asked me if I was interested in moving Drouin in a trade involving Benn. I asked who else on my team he was interested in, and he provided a small list of players and prospects.

So, my initial offer was Eberle, Drouin and my first next year for Benn. I thought that was a fair starting point, but a few of my friends have suggested that is too much for an initial offer, which has me doubting myself now.

So, thoughts? This league counts all typical cats. Rep for insight.

Thanks.
    Rylant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Made an offer for Ja Benn. Too much? Rep...

too much? if i was the benn owner i would need double that to even consider it.

and what are "typical" cats? i'm assuming it doesn't count hits then, because that would make the deal even more lopsided.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think you have done well if that gets you Benn.

Dobber Sports Jedi

What is that 1st rounder likely to fetch? You would easily be getting the best player in return and even if the 1st turned into Matthews he's likely 3 years away from catching Benn's production, if ever.

Not enough.

I think that's a really good starting point, but I doubt he accepts. If I had Benn, I'd want to replace Eberle with something else of a more significant value, short & long term. It should get the conversation started and at a minimum create a counter offer. That by no means is an overpayment for Benn.

What happens sometimes when you low ball too much, the conversation just ends. There are two serious pieces there that owner can work with to move him - which is the important part. If the 1st = Matthews it might be enough, but the piece that still bothers me is Eberle, I'm not a fan - I see that needing a significant upgrade to land Benn.

Benn is a bona-fide fantasy stud, he's not getting a stud in return.. but still, it should be enough to open dialogue (if he just accepts than huge cudo's to you!.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Even if that 1st is 1st overall it wouldn't be enough for me to move Benn. Not sure what your friends are talking about. To me you're initial thought is correct that it's a fair starting offer but expect to replace Eberle with a higher end player. If he takes that offer out of the gate you're laughing.

Dobber Sports Star

This league tends to be a little different than most I have been in. We dress 12 forwards, 6 D and 2 goalies. Line ups are set weekly. It is also H2H. So, with all 24 teams having a roster of 25 ish players, it is a really deep league. I have been in this league for 8 years now, and I have won it all 3 times, including last year. For a 24 team league, 3 Cups in 8 years is pretty impressive. My best player is probably Patrice Bergeron. I have found that, in this league, depth tends to be more important than having a superstar. I have seen people in this league gut their team for somebody like Crosby, and it never works out well for them because they thin out the rest of their team so badly in the process.

I should have mentioned this before. Maybe in this type of set up, superstars don't tend to hold the same kind of value as they do in smaller leagues?

Rylant

Administrator

Aside from overvaluing prospects I don't see why you think this is too much. You're coming in quite low here.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

I think it's a bit of a low first offer, but at least it's a starting point, and I wouldnt call it an insult either. For all we know, the guy could be a massive Oilers fan and actually bite, but I doubt it. Either way, as I say, it's a starting point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

If I had Benn I would be ticked off at that offer....very lowball but if you can get him for that it is a massive steal!
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    If I had Benn I would be ticked off at that offer....very lowball but if you can get him for that it is a massive steal!
    LOL! Why would an offer tick you off? I find that funny. It's an offer. For all you know, it could be the start of a good trade for you. I never get ticked off at any offer sent my way. I may decline them if they are low instead of countering, but I never get ticked off. I enjoy trade discussions, good or bad.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I never voice I am ticked off, there is no point in that, I just mean it is so far off Benns value it would be annoying to receive an offer that has zero chance of being accepted....but then again you never know lol
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Guru

I don't see why other think you're overpaying. Unless people are really high on Eberle for some reason. It's a good starting point, but definitely not too much.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    So, my initial offer was Eberle, Drouin and my first next year for Benn. I thought that was a fair starting point, but a few of my friends have suggested that is too much for an initial offer, which has me doubting myself now.
    You're not alone in having leagemates who think every offer is an overpayment. I had a guy chirp me a couple summers ago for making a bid on Tavares where Toews was a key piece I was offering because he thought "Toews alone is better!!!" (this was weeks after the Blackhawks won their second Cup).

I would say it's a decent starting point but those wouldnt really get it done for me if I owned Benn. I would probably need a big centerpiece replacing Eberle to consider it. If he takes that deal then amazing but I would not expect your leaguemates prediction that its an overpayment to translate into a trade immediately.

I've realized over time that most people in fantasy don't initially know the true value of superstar players until theyve made a few offers. I can remember two years ago coming on this forum and asking if my offer of Eric Staal, Hartnell and a pick was too much or just enough to get Ovechkin. I got laughed at pretty badly. Even my counter of Hall, Landeskog and a pick for Ovechkin got laughed at (keep in mind this is a few years ago).

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Pretty nice deal for you but I cant see anyone accepting that.

Dobber Sports Star

Thanks all, I will start repping. It's one of those things where I thought it was a good starting point, but my buddies got me second guessing myself. The Benn owner actually countered with Benn to me, for Eberle, Drouin a first, a fourth and Brayden Point. I will form a counter of some kind, but will still probably accept this offer if he doesn't budge.

Rylant