Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    I like Simmons, but Hyperion was a bit too nebulous for me. I get the pilgrimage bit and all the characters had interesting stories, but I felt like it didn't take you anywhere. If someone asked me about it, I probably couldn't tell them the story. I liked The Terror a lot, although it dragged a little in spots. The combination of history/horror just hit right. I had just finished reading it when they actually found one of Franklin's ships. I have other books of his, but haven't read the other Hyperion books. Might try that at some point.
    The last 2 parts of the Hyperion series (Endymion, Rise of E) were the best part for me, it takes place hundreds of years after the first two. I think I liked Iluim/Olympos even more.

The Terror is one of my all time favourite books, that one just sucked me into it within 5 pages and I couldn't stop (I'm also into Victorian era Arctic exploration history so that played a part I'm sure).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If you like 80s nostalgia then pick up Ready Player One. I plowed through it this weekend and it was an enjoyable read. Just have to pass over some of the endless lists of 'Look at how much 1980s trivia I know!' that pop up in the book, but aside from that I thought it was a lot of fun.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well, Cronin's 3rd book is out now so I am going to queue up his first two on audiobook for a re-read and then finish it all off. Would love to hear how it is from anyone else who reads it.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Reading Shoe Dog by Phil Knight (Founder of Nike), an autobiography. Basically tells the story of his life and Nike's formative years.

Incredible read... not-put-downable. Ranks right up there with Einstein, Franklin, Edison, Jobs and Musk in terms of best bios I've read.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by iwinthings View Post
    Well, Cronin's 3rd book is out now so I am going to queue up his first two on audiobook for a re-read and then finish it all off. Would love to hear how it is from anyone else who reads it.
    I just finished it this week.
    Pretty good, I give it a thumbs up.
    He actually recaps the first two books (via a historical transcript)... the first 100pgs are a bit slow, no plot movement, there is a really good character development, starts to get going around pg.280-300, good action through to finish, the ending is a bit dragged out & longer than I needed and I speed-read/skimmed through the end-portion - but very solid overall, a good finish to the trilogy.

Next up for me (30pgs in)...
    Based on George RR Martin's "influences", I'm actually starting a trilogy from 1988, 1990, 1993 called Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. The first book is called "The Dragonbone Chair".

I wanted to see if that story could give me any more hints to Martin's own set-up of asoiaf, which had the first book, Game of Thrones, published in 1996.

From wiki:
    Williams has also had an influence on other authors in his genre. His Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series was one of the works that inspired George R. R. Martin to write A Song of Ice and Fire. “I read Tad and was impressed by him, but the imitators that followed—well, fantasy got a bad rep for being very formulaic and ritual. And I read The Dragonbone Chair and said, ‘My god, they can do something with this form,’ and it's Tad doing it. It’s one of my favorite fantasy series.”[27][28] Martin incorporated a nod to Williams in A Game of Thrones with “House Willum”: The only members of the house mentioned are Lord Willum and his two sons, Josua and Elyas, a reference to the royal brothers in The Dragonbone Chair.[29] In response, Williams wrote, “George is one of the best writers around these days (you notice I don’t say ‘best SF and F writers,’ because that’s too limiting) as well as a good guy, so if I helped him decide to write something, that’s a pleasure and an honor.”[30]

I can already tell through the first couple chapters what a major influence this world had on Martin's set-up for asoiaf/GoT.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post

Currently reading The Guilty by David Baldacci. I like most of his stuff and this one is no different...so far.
    Same here. Memory Man by the same author precedes The Guilty - so I stopped the guilty and started memory man...like what i've read.

started Mr. Mercedes by Mr. King. too early on to comment.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    . I have yet to read the fourth from another author - if it was Larsson, then I would have read it already..
    Larsson died under suspicious circumstances. On his computer apparently were very detailed full outlines for books 4, 5 and 1/2 of 6 in the series. Last I read, before this came out was Larsson's wife was looking for a the write author to take up the novels and complete them the way Larsson would have wanted
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'm onto the Winters Family by Cliff Jackson, it's a solid book. Holds little back. That said, he covers an expansive time frame in the 300+ page novel. He really could have broken this into at least a trilogy and covered specific time periods from the US Civil War on since the Winters Family wreaked havoc over all of it.

I've also read my first two Cormac McCarthy novels, his two most popular - No Country For Old Men & The Road, A-MAY-ZING. Hands down one of the best WRITERS I've ever read. I'm on a mission to track down all his older stuff. Blood Meridian, Border Trilogy etc. Lots of brutal violence, cannibalism. He covers it all, but not one word is wasted.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Larsson died under suspicious circumstances. On his computer apparently were very detailed full outlines for books 4, 5 and 1/2 of 6 in the series. Last I read, before this came out was Larsson's wife was looking for a the write author to take up the novels and complete them the way Larsson would have wanted
    Just finished the 4th book in the Millenium series, and I wasn't impressed. Probably won't bother with any others they decide to publish. Got enough pages in my house to keep me busy until I die.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    I like Simmons, but Hyperion was a bit too nebulous for me. I get the pilgrimage bit and all the characters had interesting stories, but I felt like it didn't take you anywhere. If someone asked me about it, I probably couldn't tell them the story. I liked The Terror a lot, although it dragged a little in spots. The combination of history/horror just hit right. I had just finished reading it when they actually found one of Franklin's ships. I have other books of his, but haven't read the other Hyperion books. Might try that at some point.
    Just noticed that some of you have read Dan Simmons. "The Terror" was fantastic, and despite having read it a few years ago now, the vivid imagery and intense scenes of survival against both nature and ...something else, still haunt me. One of my favorites.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Icon

The Guy on the Left - James Duthie.

Favorite book...close btwn Playing with Fire and Jordan Tootoos book
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    He actually recaps the first two books (via a historical transcript)... the first 100pgs are a bit slow, no plot movement, there is a really good character development, starts to get going around pg.280-300, good action through to finish, the ending is a bit dragged out & longer than I needed and I speed-read/skimmed through the end-portion - but very solid overall, a good finish to the trilogy.

Based on George RR Martin's "influences", I'm actually starting a trilogy from 1988, 1990, 1993 called Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. The first book is called "The Dragonbone Chair".

I wanted to see if that story could give me any more hints to Martin's own set-up of asoiaf, which had the first book, Game of Thrones, published in 1996.

From wiki:
    Williams has also had an influence on other authors in his genre. His Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series was one of the works that inspired George R. R. Martin to write A Song of Ice and Fire. “I read Tad and was impressed by him, but the imitators that followed—well, fantasy got a bad rep for being very formulaic and ritual. And I read The Dragonbone Chair and said, ‘My god, they can do something with this form,’ and it's Tad doing it. It’s one of my favorite fantasy series.”[27][28] Martin incorporated a nod to Williams in A Game of Thrones with “House Willum”: The only members of the house mentioned are Lord Willum and his two sons, Josua and Elyas, a reference to the royal brothers in The Dragonbone Chair.[29] In response, Williams wrote, “George is one of the best writers around these days (you notice I don’t say ‘best SF and F writers,’ because that’s too limiting) as well as a good guy, so if I helped him decide to write something, that’s a pleasure and an honor.”[30]

I can already tell through the first couple chapters what a major influence this world had on Martin's set-up for asoiaf/GoT.
    This makes me want to read this. Thanks man
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    It's a line of books I've always thought about dipping into but get sidetracked and reminded by my wife I have 40 books on the shelf I haven't read yet. She'll never understand.
    Only 40????? I have many more than that unread on my shelf, but fortunately my wife is a heavy reader too. She just doesn't hold on to as many, manages her flow better. Just remember, "it's not hoarding if it's books!" (I like to apply that to music as well, but that rarely works with her.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

From wiki:

My sister-in-law was reading the Shadowmarch series and recommended Williams to me, knowing that I am a fantasy/sci-fi geek. I found all three books of the Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trilogy at the local used book chain. Started reading The Dragonbone Chair about a year ago; but wound up getting distracted onto something else. Not that it wasn't good, it is more that I am an ADD reader. I will come back to it. From what I read, it started off a lot like other fantasy trilogies, such as Feist's Magician, but I'm sure it goes lots of other places.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Just noticed that some of you have read Dan Simmons. "The Terror" was fantastic, and despite having read it a few years ago now, the vivid imagery and intense scenes of survival against both nature and ...something else, still haunt me. One of my favorites.
    Agreed, I really enjoyed it, kind of a redemption story. But the imagery around the hardships they faced was stunning. It made me want to try other books of his. I have a couple others among my many unread, but I will get around to them.