Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dan Brown inferno
    By the way, what do you think about Mavic Pro quadcopter?
    Last edited by alexau; December 31, 2016 at 3:12 PM.

The Wolverine

Taking a break from the horror and reading Stieg Larsson's 'Girl' trilogy. I've seen the original films and about half way through the first book (Dragon Tattoo). Good read so far.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Nice! Words of Radiance is very good too. Have you read his Mistborn series? That's pretty good too.
    I finally finished the first book and it was great. Loved it. I'm not in the loop with fantasy literature so I don't know anything about his other books. I'll probably try to find book 2 via audiobook from the local library.

Dobber Sports Master

Just picked up John Verdon's "Let the Devil Sleep" which is the third in his Detective Dave Gurney series. I have really enjoyed this series, and am flying through this book as well. Already 100 pages in, and I'm caught up, like Gurney, into this unfolding mystery. Highly entertaining, and worth reading from the beginning of the series, "Think of a Number".

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Taking a break from the horror and reading Stieg Larsson's 'Girl' trilogy. I've seen the original films and about half way through the first book (Dragon Tattoo). Good read so far.
    I got through that series a little more quickly than I care to admit. Really well done all-in-all. The new one that builds off the series (from a different author) is one that I have yet to read, and haven't had much insight on. Has anyone gotten to it yet?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I got through that series a little more quickly than I care to admit. Really well done all-in-all. The new one that builds off the series (from a different author) is one that I have yet to read, and haven't had much insight on. Has anyone gotten to it yet?
    I really enjoyed those three books. I thought they got successfully better. I have yet to read the fourth from another author - if it was Larsson, then I would have read it already. I'm just waiting to pick it up cheap.

Currently reading The Guilty by David Baldacci. I like most of his stuff and this one is no different...so far.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I really enjoyed those three books. I thought they got successfully better. I have yet to read the fourth from another author - if it was Larsson, then I would have read it already. I'm just waiting to pick it up cheap.

Currently reading The Guilty by David Baldacci. I like most of his stuff and this one is no different...so far.
    That was my thinking as well.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Newbie

I'm starting to read The Apartment by Danielle Steel.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The Warrior Prophet by R. Scott Bakker

Book Two of the Prince of Nothing series. My second swim through it, dark fantasy done really, really well.

If you're jonesing for the next Martin book and don't know how you're going to make it, then try these out.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I rarely get much reading done in hockey season, but I've been working through Only Time Will Tell (Clifton Chronicles #1) by Jeffrey Archer.
    It's oK, sort of an early 1900s boarding-school, poor family trying to make it vs. rich family type of thing.

I still pick up my set of five from asoiaf and read a spot chapter every night before bed.
    For me, Martin's story crushes anything else written in the last 30 years. When you can spot read any chapter of any book... it's an incredible tale.

Still waiting on Justin Cronin's 3rd book of his trilogy on "The Passage".
    2010 1st book
    2012 2nd book
    ...dragging out completion of his 3rd book which was supposed to be SPRING 2016... finish it, damn you! (shaking fist!)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

2010 1st book
    2012 2nd book
    ...dragging out completion of his 3rd book which was supposed to be SPRING 2016... finish it, damn you! (shaking fist!)
    Me too. I think it was you who recommended The Passage awhile back and I enjoyed the first two books. I'm sure I'll go back and re-read them once I get the last one so the story will be fresh.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I rarely get much reading done in hockey season, but I've been working through Only Time Will Tell (Clifton Chronicles #1) by Jeffrey Archer.
    It's oK, sort of an early 1900s boarding-school, poor family trying to make it vs. rich family type of thing.

I still pick up my set of five from asoiaf and read a spot chapter every night before bed.
    For me, Martin's story crushes anything else written in the last 30 years. When you can spot read any chapter of any book... it's an incredible tale.

2010 1st book
    2012 2nd book
    I also am waiting for the third book. Just picked up Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection, and Ready Player One, on Audiobook from the library.

Dobber Sports Icon

Currently reading Finders Keepers by King, pretty good.

My favourite author is Dan Simmons - he's pretty diverse but his sci-fi/fantasy stuff is his best IMO:

The Hyperion Cantos (Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, The Rise of Endymion) and Ilium/Olympos (2 parter) are some of the most intense stuff I've ever read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilium/Olympos
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Currently reading Finders Keepers by King, pretty good.

My favourite author is Dan Simmons - he's pretty diverse but his sci-fi/fantasy stuff is his best IMO:

The Hyperion Cantos (Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, The Rise of Endymion) and Ilium/Olympos (2 parter) are some of the most intense stuff I've ever read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilium/Olympos
    I like Simmons, but Hyperion was a bit too nebulous for me. I get the pilgrimage bit and all the characters had interesting stories, but I felt like it didn't take you anywhere. If someone asked me about it, I probably couldn't tell them the story. I liked The Terror a lot, although it dragged a little in spots. The combination of history/horror just hit right. I had just finished reading it when they actually found one of Franklin's ships. I have other books of his, but haven't read the other Hyperion books. Might try that at some point.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I am an ADD reader. I usually have 6-8 books going at any one time, and unless one really grabs me, I jump around, reading a few pages here and there. Right now I'm into the 2nd book of The Expanse series, after seeing the series on ScyFy and realizing that this was a series a co-worker had recommended to me awhile back. He also recommended Peter F. Hamilton to me and I have started The Naked God, but it is set aside temporarily for The Expanse. The other book I'm actively reading is Martin Gilbert's one-volume biography of Winston Churchill. Also started are: Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Inferno by Max Hastings (WWII history), In The Garden Of Beasts by Erik Larson, somewhere in the Krondor series by Raymond Feist, Paul McCartney biography by Philip Norman. I rarely read bestsellers, sticking mostly to sci-fi, horror, history, rock music related. I keep a list of classic sci-fi novels, Hugo & Nebula winners, and stay on the lookout for copies of them at Half Price Books. Can't go wrong like that. In the interim between Game of Thrones books (which I read a few years before the TV series), I've sought out GRRM sci-fi, some pretty good stuff there, especially his Hugo-winning story Sandkings.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill