Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Administrator

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Not really a fiction guy these days.

Big fan of the Freakonomics series. Recently finished Think Like A Freak. Always listening to their podcasts.

I also got a ton out of Mindset by Carroll Dweck. That one was recommended by Pistons head coach Stan Van Gundy. Hugely beneficial for me in so many facets of life.

Currently reading Graham Hancock's Magicians of the Gods, which you could certainly argue is a sort of fiction. Basically, he's outlining an argument of previous highly advanced societies in Earth's history that were wiped out by a series of comet impacts around 12,000 years ago. Some very compelling evidence of a comet impact at the very least. Stick tap to the Joe Rogan Podcast for steering me towards this one.

Any highly recommended non-fiction books to check out?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

I read a lot. Currently reading "The Patriot Threat" by Steve Berry.

Favourite authors are Lee Child (Jack Reacher titles) and Brad Thor (Scott Horvath titles). For quick easy reads I like Clive Cussler (Kurt Austin and Dirk Pitt series) who are kind of like grown up Hardy Boy books.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    IT was great, one of my favourites. Dark Half might have been my first one when I was a teenager, and I did enjoy it as well. His short story collections are definitely underrated, but I do prefer to get immersed in a full length novel. The Stand is my favourite stand alone novel, and The Dark Tower series is incredible.

I've read Handling the Undead as well. Thought it was ok, but don't remember a lot about it so that shows how much it stayed with me. I've read Harbour and Little Star recently as well and they are quite different to each other.

It's been awhile since I read On Writing but do remember it was pretty good and especially interesting for those looking to take up the craft.
    Absolutely love the Stand! Have you read "11.22.63"? It is a good read.

I would add Stieg Larsson's triology (the Girl with the Dragon tattoo,etc).

Dobber Sports Master

Currently reading Patrick Rothfuss' "The Wise Man's Fear"; second book of a trilogy even though book three has yet to be published. Great mix of magic, fantasy and humanity.

My favorite authors include:
    Michael Connelly: Detective Harry Bosch series of books
    Philip Kerr : Detective Bernie Gunther series of books; set in and around Nazi Germay in the 1940s.
    J.R.R. Tolkien: Lord of the Rings
    G.r.r. Martin: A song of Ice and Fire

Highly recommend joining Goodreads.com for anyone who likes books. People from all over the world share reviews, opinions and thoughts on their favorite books and authors. My handle there is Darth Indurate if you want to see what I have read and enjoyed as I review everything I read.

I've read through most of the Star Wars books starting with Darth Bane trilogy, and particularly enjoyed the Heir to the Empire series and the Rogue Squadron series. There are some stinkers but Star Wars fans will enjoy most of the books in the series. Sadly, Disney no longer recognizes any of these books as part of the the Star Wars universes which makes me feel like " why did I brother. Oh yeah, it. Is Star Wars.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Monster

I don't read any books anymore but the last one I read was titled "Shane". Good ol Western book.

Dobber Sports Sage

I haven't read much the last couple years. Every time I try to start a book I fall asleep before getting through 2 pages.

All-time favorites include A Prayer for Owen Meany and East of Eden.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'm a book fanatic, I did quick search and couldn't see a similar thread.

So I pose a 2 part question as I'm always looking for great books & new authors

1. What book are you reading right now?
    2. Who is your favorite author or authors?

My answers:
    1. Cormac McCarthy - No Country for Old Men
    1.(b) on deck - Ablutions - Patrick DeWitt

2. My 1st Cormac book & I'm hooked. Love! Adding him to this list:

Tim Dorsey
    Christopher Moore
    Patrick DeWitt
    Charles Bukowski
    Conn Igguldon
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Neil Gaimen
    Carl Hiassen
    and the newly added Cormac McCarthy

and I'll stop there.
    Great list. I love McCarthy -- read several of his. Most recently, All The Pretty Horses.
    Huge Vonnegut fan -- working on getting all of them in hardcover (and it's getting tougher to find them).
    If you like his quirkiness, try Canadian Douglas Coupland. Start with Microserfs.

And seeing as I like your list a lot, give these two a try:
    Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried
    David James Duncan's The Brothers K.

Those are two of my faves.
    You won't be disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post

Big fan of the Freakonomics series. Recently finished Think Like A Freak. Always listening to their podcasts.

I also got a ton out of Mindset by Carroll Dweck. That one was recommended by Pistons head coach Stan Van Gundy. Hugely beneficial for me in so many facets of life.

Currently reading Graham Hancock's Magicians of the Gods, which you could certainly argue is a sort of fiction. Basically, he's outlining an argument of previous highly advanced societies in Earth's history that were wiped out by a series of comet impacts around 12,000 years ago. Some very compelling evidence of a comet impact at the very least. Stick tap to the Joe Rogan Podcast for steering me towards this one.

You've probably read them, but Gladwell's stuff is always fascinating. In the same vein as Freakonomics.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFan View Post
    Absolutely love the Stand! Have you read "11.22.63"? It is a good read.
    Yep, I read it soon after it came out. Agreed, it was a very good and a bit different type of story for King but he pulled it off.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    You've probably read them, but Gladwell's stuff is always fascinating. In the same vein as Freakonomics.
    Indeed I have. I really liked how Gladwell put forth the "broken windows" theory in his one book and then it was refuted in Freakonomics with their theory regarding the impact of Roe v. Wade.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

Yay! Books. I haven't read as much this year or the last as I've been working on my writing when I have time and then some video games.

Currently reading Brent Week's second book of the Night Angel Trilogy.
    Thinking about reading a few different things next: Snow Crash, Ready Player One, Neuromancer, Tom Clancy (jack Ryan series), or Re-continue the Malazan Books of the Fallen.

I'm like Dobber, as I've read a ton of Starwars since I was a kid. I'm over 50 and that's a pretty low estimate. Love that universe. Still hoping for Grand Admiral Thrawn movies.

Mostly read Fantasy or Sci-fi. If you need some suggestions or find Goodreads.com to be convoluted; let me know. I enjoy talking books and making suggestions.

Authors

Rowling
    Sanderson
    GRRM
    Tolkien
    Rothfuss
    and I know I'm forgetting someone.

PS feel free to give me a vote on what next to read.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont read much at home but I do read a lot when I am away sailing. I was gone for a few weeks in January and read Unbroken, the Louis Zamperini story. I never saw the movie but the story interested me so I read the book.

When I am away sailing I normally like reading James Patterson's novels, especially the Alex Cross series. I find his writing style very easy to read and his chapters are short enough I can chew through a few before I close my eyes for some down time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

Anyone here read Jordin TooToo's book? One book I wouldn't mind reading. I heard he name dropped several teammates about women or something. I heard Jeff Oneill on Leafs Lunch said he went too far or something because now all those guys have wives and they might read that stuff.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Book 6 Game of thrones right now. I am generally right on par with dobber and fantasy books.

As far as non fiction
    Papillon
    Black hawk down
    Killing Pablo
    Killer: autobiography of a mafia hit man by Joey

King Rat is fiction, but I think you'd like it.

(Ha, thought I was replying to metaldudes post)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I haven't read much the last couple years. Every time I try to start a book I fall asleep before getting through 2 pages.

All-time favorites include A Prayer for Owen Meany and East of Eden.
    This could possibly mean that you need glasses to read. I had the same issue when I was in college, couldn't study for long periods because I'd keep nodding off. Getting corrective lenses resolved it.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post

Yes, Freakonomics rules. I've only read the original, but if there are others I'll get them.

As far as non-fiction goes, here are a few:

American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J Robert Oppenheimer
    Guests of the Ayatollah (story of the Iran Hostage Crisis)
    From Beirut to Jerusalem Journalist Tom Friedman's memoir of covering the Middle East in the 1980s. It's pretty hard to find more wheels-off history than the Lebanese Civil War.

RETIRED