Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Into the second game of thrones book. Is the tv series worth watching once I finish the series?
    Dude... are you trolling

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Dude... are you trolling
    I am not. As much as it seems like everyone enjoyed them while they were going on, it's a big commitment and it seems like no one will re-watch them. Just verifying that I should eventually get to it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Recruit

Personally I 'm reading and loving The Haunting of Hill House right now!! Shirley Jackson is brilliant at building a dreadful / tense atmosphere and her house and character descriptions are exquisite. The writer has a very courteous attitude! I'm almost halfway in though and it's not as bad as I planned based on The Lottery. I nevertheless enjoy it a lot and the terror is ramping up. Will definitely advise!
    I love to read books and novels and now I am reading solo leveling kisslightnovels info.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Hi. I am fascinated by philosophy now, so I read F. Nietzsche's Ecce Homo. Philosophy it's usually complex literature and writing itself, it's not love novels for example&
    But I love detectives also, especially from Dicker, for example "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair "

Dobber Sports Recruit

Dean Koontz The novel Midnight was Koontz's first piece that I read. The acquaintance was successful, there was a desire to read other books by the author.

Dobber Sports Star

^ 3 new people in a row posting thoughtfully and independently in a thread about books... Are these robots? Are there other robots posting here?

Am I a robot?!!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    ^ 3 new people in a row posting thoughtfully and independently in a thread about books... Are these robots? Are there other robots posting here?

Am I a robot?!!
    Haha, my guess is the thread is popping up in search results for keywords like 'what books are you currently reading' and people are just signing up to post on this one thread. Or just the fact that it's 10 pages long and probably rich with keywords of famous authors and titles.

Time to open DobberBooks?!

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Icon

Just finished Bryan Berard’s book and now I’m into Burke’s Law.

This Burke book is really good. If you listen to NHL radio on SXM you’ve heard most of the stories already but there’s a chapter on his son that’s very un-Burke like. He goes through his entire life ( well duh it’s an autobiography) and gives us a deeper look into a few moments that we will all remember. I like the chapter on his days he spent working up to the Sedin draft.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I am not. As much as it seems like everyone enjoyed them while they were going on, it's a big commitment and it seems like no one will re-watch them. Just verifying that I should eventually get to it.
    There is a reason, first first 6 are really good, 7 is decent, 8 was so bad that it ruined it for everyone. With the 8th season being so bad, they essentially killed a billion dollar product for HBO (Spin offs series, DVDs, re releases, etc etc). No one wants anything GoT.

I would recommend stick to the books, but the show is really amazing up until season 8, I just cant recommend watching the it due to 8.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I recently finished the Salerton trilogy by my favourite Canadian author, Robertson Davies and thoroughly enjoyed every word. I only have his Cornish trilogy left to finish but lucky for me the collection is as thick as his Deptford and Salerton collections combined.

I decided to stick with some Canadiana and I'm finally reading 'Two Solitudes' by Hugh MacLennan and it's really nice so far. I'm not quite 1/4 through it but he's great at establishing characters that can be empathized with and setting.

Lastly, the 3rd part in Stephen Fry's retelling of Greek myths & legends is released this week and I got an email this morning that my copy is in the Post. I've got motivation to finish Two Solitudes promptly so I can dive into 'Troy' when it arrives. It'll focus on the Odyssey and the Illiad, which is nice because I've tried to read both of those and, well, just no, can't do it.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Do yourself a real solid favour and read the books first. Trust me on this one.

it will give you a much better grounding in who these characters are.

Book 2 is where GOT begins to get interesting. About pg. 500. the series takes off. mainly it takes 1400 pages to get use to the character driven chapters.

Winds of Winter has an updated release date of July 2021. So you have time to read them all for the next release (best to pre-order as soon as that comes available).

I held off watching the series waiting for WOW for about 3years and finally caved. If you do the books first you'll notice the stories diverge. Mostly minor ways, but a couple large story lines change - for simplicity of tv sake.

Everyone is right about the final season of the tv show (which hasn't been written in book form yet) -- GM has promised his ending will be completely different. The feeling I was left with at the end of the final season was they just wanted to end the series. They easily could have (and should have) extended the final season into 2-3 seasons. Would have been the only proper way for it to make sense.

The first 7 seasons of the tv show are arguably the best 7 seasons of a dramatic-fantasy tv show ever made.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

One of the most informative books you'll ever read:

https://www.amazon.ca/Liberal-Media-.../dp/1943591075

Dobber Sports Jedi

I am currently reading "Holy Cow" by David Duchovny. After Cormac McCarthy's "Border Crossing" I needed something seriously light and fluffy.

There's just no love in McCarthy's writing. Apparently he's a very warm, kind person when you meet him in person, but my god does kindness die in his stories. This was a very dense, slow read. I love everything else I've read by him, but yikes, this was a low point for me.

"Holy Cow" isn't anything to write home about, it's quirky and fun... too much cheesy humour IMO... but at least the main character, Elsie, a cow - gives you a solid heads up in the first two pages.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Finally reading Stephen King's The Shining. Yes, I've seen the movie, but like most movies, the book is vastly superior. I wanted to read Doctor Sleep (the sequel to The Shining), but thought I should probably read the The Shining first!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I am currently reading "Holy Cow" by David Duchovny. After Cormac McCarthy's "Border Crossing" I needed something seriously light and fluffy.

There's just no love in McCarthy's writing. Apparently he's a very warm, kind person when you meet him in person, but my god does kindness die in his stories. This was a very dense, slow read. I love everything else I've read by him, but yikes, this was a low point for me.

"Holy Cow" isn't anything to write home about, it's quirky and fun... too much cheesy humour IMO... but at least the main character, Elsie, a cow - gives you a solid heads up in the first two pages.
    You mean 'The Road' didn't get you cheering and clapping to start your day?!

The most depressing book I ever read was On the Beach by Nevil Shute. Mainly because it felt so real and like it could definitely have happened. When you cycle back towards depressing, check it out!