Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

I'm a huge fantasy/sci-fi fan.
    Brandon Sanderson is by far my favourite author - The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are easily my top 2 books I've read. I'd suggest reading the Mistborn series first though, as a shorter intro to his works.

I'm currently reading Wheel of Time (up to number 4).
    Other authors I'd suggest are Scott Lynch (fantasy) and Alistair Reynolds (sci-fi)

Dobber Sports Genius

If you liked the Mr Mercedes trilogy you might like David Baldacci's Memory Man and The Last Mile. Read a bit of both, but not finished either. A little along the lines of a S. King feel and similar themes. Murder Mystery, crime and drama etc. Not horror by any means.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Did any of you guys read the Schreech Owl Series? I read the firs 8 of them and I loved them... I love hockey and I loved the suspense of the books!

Now I really enjoy reading other suspense novels... too bad there was not any adult suspense novels that had a hockey team as the heroes!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Ahh the joys of being a parent. I get to relive all the kids books too. Just finished Charlotte's Web and now onto Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) The best part, I get to read them almost through the eyes of a six year old. Love it! Love the fact she begs for more chapters every night. I'm convinced it's not a 'go to sleep' stalling tactic.

She just truly loves the stories and the chocolate of my voice (ha!)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Did any of you guys read the Schreech Owl Series? I read the firs 8 of them and I loved them... I love hockey and I loved the suspense of the books!

Now I really enjoy reading other suspense novels... too bad there was not any adult suspense novels that had a hockey team as the heroes!
    Ohhhhhhhhh myyyy goddddddddddd I remember those!! I got into them because I used to go to a tournament in Lake Placid when I was younger.

I just finished American Gods...not sure how I feel about it though .,

Dobber Sports Genius

Not for the faint of heart.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

Read that series twice when I was younger. Huge fan of Roy MacGregor.

Currently reading "Against All Enemies" by Tom Clancy. Typical Clancy read. Not his best one, but still enjoying it
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    If you liked the Mr Mercedes trilogy you might like David Baldacci's Memory Man and The Last Mile. Read a bit of both, but not finished either. A little along the lines of a S. King feel and similar themes. Murder Mystery, crime and drama etc. Not horror by any means.
    I just finished Memory Man... Baldacci's writing is a bit simple but enjoyable and easy to follow. He's a great choice for some mellow, brainless entertainment. I continue to pray for new Greg Iles books as I tore through his entire collection. The Quiet Game and the Natchez Burning trilogy are my favorites by him.

Right now, after just completing Memory Man, I am forcing myself to read The Drawing of the Three which is the second in The Dark Tower series. I've heard such good things about the series that I want to try again after struggling to really follow The Dark Tower.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    I just finished Memory Man... Baldacci's writing is a bit simple but enjoyable and easy to follow. He's a great choice for some mellow, brainless entertainment. I continue to pray for new Greg Iles books as I tore through his entire collection. The Quiet Game and the Natchez Burning trilogy are my favorites by him.

Right now, after just completing Memory Man, I am forcing myself to read The Drawing of the Three which is the second in The Dark Tower series. I've heard such good things about the series that I want to try again after struggling to really follow The Dark Tower.
    I struggled with this one... quite a bit. still on hiatus before tackling book 3.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post

I think I enjoyed Book 2 more than any that I've finished so far (Im only on book 4)

Dobber Sports Sage

I've heard book two and four are ones people have really enjoyed. Here's to hoping
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've just started Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's the first in a trilogy about humanity's initial colonization of Mars.

I'm less than halfway through but I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. It's somewhat akin to The Martian except the characters are (much) better developed and you're not forced to fight through the flippant smart-@$$ narration. (Can you tell that I wasn't too crazy about that one?)

Reads fast but it's also pretty informative.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I've just started Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's the first in a trilogy about humanity's initial colonization of Mars.

I'm less than halfway through but I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. It's somewhat akin to The Martian except the characters are (much) better developed and you're not forced to fight through the flippant smart-@$$ narration. (Can you tell that I wasn't too crazy about that one?)

Reads fast but it's also pretty informative.
    Really? I loved the way the Martian was written. As soon as I finished it I started it again from the beginning. Really enjoyed the style and it made for a nice-albeit fast-paced read.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Master

I've been on this thread a few times, but not sure if I've mentioned Henning Mankell and his engrossing Kurt Wallander series. Currently reading book #7 in the series (One Step Behind), and loving it 100 pages in.

My favorite crime fiction writers are: Michael Connelly, Henning Mankell and Jo Nesbo. All great authors. Curious to know if there are any Dobber members who agree or have other fave crime writers.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been on this thread a few times, but not sure if I've mentioned Henning Mankell and his engrossing Kurt Wallander series. Currently reading book #7 in the series (One Step Behind), and loving it 100 pages in.

My favorite crime fiction writers are: Michael Connelly, Henning Mankell and Jo Nesbo. All great authors. Curious to know if there are any Dobber members who agree or have other fave crime writers.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I read pretty much everything, although not a lot of crime fiction. Surprisingly since my degree is in criminology. I think part of it is, most detectives irritate me. So done in movies they all seem clich?d. years ago I read a couple Connelly books and enjoyed them. Haven't heard of Mankell.. and haven't read Nesbo.

I've read a couple Ian Rankin books and he's good. I've got a couple more on my shelf I need to get to.

Tim Dorsey is great - funniest books I've ever read. They're crime books, but from the viewpoint of the criminals. Serge Storm is a serial killer, with morals. Kinda like Dexter, but no job, and just completely f---ed up.

my problem is I skip genre's almost every book.