Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This is waaaay better than LotR. Best book I ever read.
    Saw Chuck's post and was going to say the same thing. Though I have re-read the first two a few times since. I've found it actually gets better on the re-read.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It has been agonizing to wait on GRRM and Rothfuss to finish their works though.
    Those are my two favourite stories of my lifetime... but... shit guys... effin finish.

I've been having problems finding enough focus to settle in on books over past 2 years.
    Just knocked out one by a Japanese author - Haruki Murakami.
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

I'm not sure how to describe it... kind of "hazy" and "fantastical" spin on world of ordinary Joe.
    His writing is so damn smooth & wonderful.

Most people aren't going to love the plot/storyline.
    But if you want some different style of fiction... it's a nice thing to try.

I enjoyed it. 4/5 stars.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    It has been agonizing to wait on GRRM and Rothfuss to finish their works though.
    Those are my two favourite stories of my lifetime... but... shit guys... effin finish.
    What's the over/under on GRRM ever wrapping on that series?

Dobber Sports Icon

This is waaaay better than LotR. Best book I ever read. Waiting for the third book before I start re-reading the first two. Awesome book. The guy writes better than anyone I've ever read. He could make writing about walking to the store a riveting piece.

LotR - kudos to those books and Tolkein for getting things started with this wonderful genre, but there are now thousands of better books in the genre
    I agree that first two books in the Kingkiller Chronicle are way better than LOTR but at least LOTR has an ending!!! This is my 4th time re-reading these books as I try to read them once a summer as they are that good. The books get better each time I read them. Everytime I start the series again, I am blown away by how quickly I get drawn right back into the world. I read the opening line of the prologue and I might as well say good bye to my wife and kids because I won't see them much for the next few days!

"It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
    The most obvious part was a hollow echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been a wind..."

With that said, I have not found many other series that are better than LOTR so I am hoping someone can make a list of them so I know what to read next.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    With that said, I have not found many other series that are better than LOTR so I am hoping someone can make a list of them so I know what to read next.
    Stormlight Archive (almost as good as Kingkiller)
    Malazan Book of the Fallen (this one gets wordy, HUGE epic)
    Mistborn (the first trilogy, the second wasn't quite as good)
    First Law
    Song of Ice and Fire

Currently reading Lightbringer series and I'm finding it really well done. I've read LOTR maybe four or five times. But the last time I read it was after reading some of the above and I realized just how inferior it is now
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

Anyone read NK Jemesin's Broken Earth Trilogy? Best fantasy books I have read in a long time, liked it even more than Rothfuss. Every book the series won a Hugo award.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Anyone read NK Jemesin's Broken Earth Trilogy? Best fantasy books I have read in a long time, liked it even more than Rothfuss. Every book the series won a Hugo award.
    I've been looking for a fantasy series for my almost 13-year old daughter.
    This sounds like a great one for her. Thank you!!!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Thanks for this, I'll add it to my list. This looks great
    I just gotta finish my Lightbringer series and I also chip away at Nick Stone (spy) novels. And the Darkest Minds series.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have two daughters aged 13 and 11 that I read with (if the books are appropriate)!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

I also have two daughters aged 13 and 11 that I read with (if the books are appropriate)!
    I have a 19 month and 5 month old. I haven't had a chance to read since they were born

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

if you have two that young at least you have a chance for other important hobbies....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

Single best book I've read in several years is Michael Lewis' The Premonition. Maybe a bit triggering to be reading about the pandemic, but if you are familiar with Lewis' books they are less about the subject matter and more about the brilliant real life characters that he encounters at the heart of the story. He runs into some absolute doozies in this one. Been recommending this to everyone in my life and have purchased multiple copies for others. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Not sure these are all better than LOTR, but here are a few of my favorites:

Robin Hobb (4 trilogys and a 4 book series all following each other with some character overlap)
    Arkady Martine - A Memory Called Empire, A Desolation Called Peace, third to come (A bit like the Expanse if you've seen the show)
    N. K Jemesin trilogy (really great, though they're borderline for ages 11-13 imo)
    Paolo Bacigalupi - The Wind-Up Girl (stand-alone hefty near-future dystopia.
    Guy Gavriel Kay - Sailing to Sarantium and sequel

YA fantasy/sci-fi:
    Kristin Cashore - Graceling and sequels
    Megan Whalen Turner - The Thief and its sequels
    Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game and sequels (though the immediate sequels diverge pretty significantly from the first book)
    Yahoo 12-team H2H partial keeper league (keep 7 vets + 3 prospects (p = skater <201 gp; goalie < 101gp))

G,A,P,PIM,+/-,PPP,SOG,FW,hits, blocks, W,GAA,SV%,Saves
    Start 3/3/3/5/2

C: Kopitar, P. Suter, Carlsson (p), Lundell (p), Norris
    LW: B. Tkachuk, Stutzle (c), Colton (c), Ehlers
    RW: Rantanen, Caufield (lw), Svechnikov (lw), Foegele (lw)
    D: Dahlin, Andersson, Chychrun, Montour, Sanheim, Matheson, Faber (p)
    G: Talbot, Forsberg, Daws (p), Wolf (p, NA)
    IR: Fantilli, Sergachev, Jeannot, Ingram
    NA: Levi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

This book just recently came out by Stephen King called Fairy Tale and it so far is quite good.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just finished 'Station Eleven' by Emily St. John Mandel. Absolutely loved it! No idea how this book became popular during a pandemic.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Just finished 'Station Eleven' by Emily St. John Mandel. Absolutely loved it! No idea how this book became popular during a pandemic.
    The TV show on HBO was phenomenal, which I'm sure helped.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg