Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

I'm a book fanatic, I did quick search and couldn't see a similar thread.

So I pose a 2 part question as I'm always looking for great books & new authors

1. What book are you reading right now?
    2. Who is your favorite author or authors?

My answers:
    1. Cormac McCarthy - No Country for Old Men
    1.(b) on deck - Ablutions - Patrick DeWitt

2. My 1st Cormac book & I'm hooked. Love! Adding him to this list:

Tim Dorsey
    Christopher Moore
    Patrick DeWitt
    Charles Bukowski
    Conn Igguldon
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Neil Gaimen
    Carl Hiassen
    and the newly added Cormac McCarthy

and I'll stop there.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Mostly these days I'm reading kids books out loud in funny voices, but I did pick up House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski and so far so good. Very interesting book, I've never read anything quite like it. Very outside the proverbial box. The problem is my daughter pulled out my book mark a couple of months back and I sorta gave up because I prob have to start over.

Favorite author? Not sure I have a favorite but in recent years I'd say nothing I read by Neil Gaiman has been short of a really fun read. Kinda stands out as a guy with more hits than misses
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Ace

I read very little fiction but recently discovered Japanese author Kobo Abe, whose novels have been translated into English, many of which I have read this year. The stories are entertaining but with confusing endings, except for "Woman in the Dunes", which made sense.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    Mostly these days I'm reading kids books out loud in funny voices, but I did pick up House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski and so far so good. Very interesting book, I've never read anything quite like it. Very outside the proverbial box. The problem is my daughter pulled out my book mark a couple of months back and I sorta gave up because I prob have to start over.

Favorite author? Not sure I have a favorite but in recent years I'd say nothing I read by Neil Gaiman has been short of a really fun read. Kinda stands out as a guy with more hits than misses
    Check out Fortunately the Milk - I've read it to my 4 year old daughter 15-20 times, she loves it more every time. I enjoyed American Gods, the only issue for me was I didn't really find a connection with 'Shadow' so was left slightly lacking in that regard.

I've also got 2 Dean Koontz Christmas books Santa's Twin & Robot Santa... child appropriate darkness, they're long, but entertaining. New respect for Koontz - would have to go to Amazon not in print anymore

The Wolverine

Good thread. Not surprisingly, my username applies to books as well as films.

1. I'm currently reading the third of Mira Grant's Parasitology trilogy (Parasite, Symbiont, Chimera). Not sure what is on deck yet as I've gone through my recent collection and will be getting a few more soon.

2. All time favourite author - Stephen King. Also quite enjoyed the UK's classic horror writer, James Herbert (RIP).

A selection of authors I've read and enjoyed over the last few years:

Mira Grant (Parasitology, Newsflesh trilogy)
    David Moody (Autumn series, Hater trilogy)
    John Ajvide Lindqvist (Let the Right One In)
    Scott Sigler (Infected trilogy)
    Daniel H. Wilson (Robopocalypse trilogy - the third to come)
    Joseph d'Lacey (Meat, Garbage Man)
    Justin Cronin (The Passage trilogy - the third to come)

Funny I've been reading a lot of trilogies recently.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for the recommendations! THough I'm staying away from Christmas stuff for a while. My daughter still insists I sing Rudolph and Jingle Bells to her at bedtime LOL
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)

I...am your father.

I love book talk, I moved your thread to that section and hopefully kick some life into it. I'm still working my way through all the Star Wars books, about 175 in.

On my radar though are the last two Drizzt novels, the last two Jack Reacher novels, and I'd like to read a couple of classics such as 1984

Favorite authors - there are so many, with vastly different styles, so would depend on my mood. I like Salvatore, Brooks, Sanderson, King, Childs and of course George RR Martin
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    2. All time favourite author - Stephen King
    I don't know why I always forget about him. I think because I read him so much as a teenager I compartmentalized him as more YA, but looking back he's totally not. Really love his short story collections, too. I think my faves of his as a kid were It and The Dark Half, and Nightmares and Dreamscapes.
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Good thread. Not surprisingly, my username applies to books as well as films.

1. I'm currently reading the third of Mira Grant's Parasitology trilogy (Parasite, Symbiont, Chimera). Not sure what is on deck yet as I've gone through my recent collection and will be getting a few more soon.

2. All time favourite author - Stephen King. Also quite enjoyed the UK's classic horror writer, James Herbert (RIP).

A selection of authors I've read and enjoyed over the last few years:

Mira Grant (Parasitology, Newsflesh trilogy)
    David Moody (Autumn series, Hater trilogy)
    John Ajvide Lindqvist (Let the Right One In)
    Scott Sigler (Infected trilogy)
    Justin H. Wilson (Robopocalypse trilogy - the third to come)
    Joseph d'Lacey (Meat, Garbage Man)
    Justin Cronin (The Passage trilogy - the third to come)

Funny I've been reading a lot of trilogies recently.
    I just read Lindqvists "Handling the Undead" - it was a bit dry, but was a refreshing take on Zombies. 'humanized' them a bit.

I just saw 'Robopocalypse' book 1 in the used bookstore. I was intrigued but decided on Stephen King's "On Writing" instead... how is it?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I love book talk, I moved your thread to that section and hopefully kick some life into it. I'm still working my way through all the Star Wars books, about 175 in.

On my radar though are the last two Drizzt novels, the last two Jack Reacher novels, and I'd like to read a couple of classics such as 1984

Favorite authors - there are so many, with vastly different styles, so would depend on my mood. I like Salvatore, Brooks, Sanderson, King, Childs and of course George RR Martin
    Thanks for landing it in the right home - appreciate it

175 - That is serious commitment. It's a line of books I've always thought about dipping into but get sidetracked and reminded by my wife I have 40 books on the shelf I haven't read yet. She'll never understand.

I read the 1st 13 Drizzt books in succession & by the end I had burned myself out of Salvatore. It may be time to dive back in.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    I don't know why I always forget about him. I think because I read him so much as a teenager I compartmentalized him as more YA, but looking back he's totally not. Really love his short story collections, too. I think my faves of his as a kid were It and The Dark Half, and Nightmares and Dreamscapes.
    IT was great, one of my favourites. Dark Half might have been my first one when I was a teenager, and I did enjoy it as well. His short story collections are definitely underrated, but I do prefer to get immersed in a full length novel. The Stand is my favourite stand alone novel, and The Dark Tower series is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I just read Lindqvists "Handling the Undead" - it was a bit dry, but was a refreshing take on Zombies. 'humanized' them a bit.

I just saw 'Robopocalypse' book 1 in the used bookstore. I was intrigued but decided on Stephen King's "On Writing" instead... how is it?
    I've read Handling the Undead as well. Thought it was ok, but don't remember a lot about it so that shows how much it stayed with me. I've read Harbour and Little Star recently as well and they are quite different to each other.

It's been awhile since I read On Writing but do remember it was pretty good and especially interesting for those looking to take up the craft.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Just started reading the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series "Gardens of the Moon".......so far im enjoying it.

Favorite authors are GRRM and Joe Abercrombie

- - - Updated - - -

Just started reading the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series "Gardens of the Moon".......so far im enjoying it.

Favorite authors are GRRM and Joe Abercrombie

Dobber Sports Jedi

I also read a couple months ago Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas Hunter S. Thompson... find 6 hours & skip coffee... this is a juggernaut of a read.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Reading now:

Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

It's historical fiction (although by a science fiction writer) that takes place in post-feudal Europe in the late 17th/early 18th centuries, around the time that practices such as alchemy were being discredited in favor of scientific thought and experimentation. (The link probably describes it better than I can.)

Sounds dry, I know, but it is written with a lot of humor throughout and there is quite a lot of action, particularly whenever Shaftoe's involved. It's a much more enjoyable way to learn some history than what we had to read in school.

Favorite authors:

Robert Stone
    Cormac McCarthy
    Martin Cruz Smith
    John LeCarre
    Larry McMurtry
    George R.R. Martin
    Ernest Hemingway
    Mark Bowden
    Thomas Harris

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm reading "Money" by Tony Robbins right now. It's just okay.. especially for Canadians.

One of my favourite authors is Margaret Atwood. I loved Oryx and Crake but the whole trilogy is worth reading. It should have been made a movie way before The Hunger Games!
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ