Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Has anyone read the 'Gentleman Bastards' Series by Scott Lynch?? It's coming highly recommended to me by a friend... just looking for further opinions
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

Currently reading ?The Lost City of the Monkey God?. Excellent recount of a recent expedition to search for the ruins of a lost civilization in the jungles of Honduras. Not quite halfway through but it?s pretty interesting so far.

Dobber Sports Veteran

If you like Detective- crime- mystery check out...
    Jussi Adler-Olsen / Danish / Department Q Series
    Henning Mankell / Swedish / Inspector Kurt Wallender
    Ian Rankin / Scottish / Inspector Rebus Series
    Ann Cleeves / British / Shetland Series
    Stieg Larsson / Swedish / Girl with the dragon tattoo Series - 1st three books only

All great reads
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Jedi

Naomi Klein - NO IS NOT ENOUGH.

An activist icon - speaking out against Trump & his regime. it's a MUST READ!

Dobber Sports Icon

Offside: My Life Crossing the Line by Sean Avery
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Icon

I am currently reading Big Money Thinks Small: Biases, Blind Spots, and Smarter Investing by Joel Tillinghast. He's one of the most successful mutual fund managers of the past 25 years. The book explains his investment process and how to apply it on your own so it's an interesting read.

Dobber Sports Pro

Beyond the messy truth. Van Jones. Good book, easy read.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm reading the book recommended by Elliotte Friedman in his latest 31 Thoughts (#23). It's called "Downhills Don't Come Free." It's written by Jerry Holl, who writes about his bike trek from Alaska all the way to Mexico. Leafs fans might recognize the last name, as Jerry is Justin Holl's father. I've read about 20 percent of it so far and I can't put it down. Highly recommended whether you are a cyclist who loves the wilderness (like me) or are looking to read a story about taking a huge leap of faith.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

The Great One

Im on an Alan Moore (Graphiv Novels) kick. Watchmen and V for Vendetta are pretty much essential but so many other goodies too!! The Killing Joke is badass!! I dont read a lot of "established comics"- like a Batman- but this one blew me away- and funny too!!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Currently reading 99 Stories of the Game by Wayne Gretzky. It's okay, I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, but thought it would contain more stories centered around himself. Instead, it's literally 99 stories of the game of hockey...as told by Wayne. Meh, this Oiler fan wants to hear all about the old Oilers dynasty. I shouldn't downplay the book that much, it's interesting, but not exactly what I expected.

My next book will be The Snowman by Jo Nesb?. A friend gave me one of his books and thought I'd like it because I spent two years in Oslo, Norway. She was right, I really liked it and now I have to read the one that was made into a movie (which I have yet to see).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Im on an Alan Moore (Graphiv Novels) kick. Watchmen and V for Vendetta are pretty much essential but so many other goodies too!! The Killing Joke is badass!! I dont read a lot of "established comics"- like a Batman- but this one blew me away- and funny too!!!
    Try the Sandman Collections, as well as the Death mini-series (2) by Neil Gaiman, published by Vertigo. Probably my favourite comic series of all time, some brilliant stuff.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns also sounds like it's right up yer alley, but you've probably already torn through that.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Guru

I just finished Gare Joyce's Future Greats and Heartbreaks. Really interesting look behind the scenes of the scouting and the 2006 and 2007 drafts. I've only read it now for first time even though it came out years ago, and I think it's much better than it would have been at the time because we know what happened to most of the players.

There was concern for Phil Kessel's fitness and talk how much of a professional Jordan Staal was before even being drafted.

The craziest part is how much time is spent on players who didn't do anything. There was a lot of ink on Akim Aliu. And Angelo Esposito (by the way, here's an update on Esposito, who is now a landlord). The love for Kris Russell's offensive game.

The line that stood out to me was when talking to Jack Johnson's father about Jack's decision to play another season of college hockey instead of signing with Carolina and getting a chance to play in the Cup finals. "Money seems like the last thing the Johnsons have on their mind." Considering Johnson had to file for bankruptcy because his parents mismanaged his money, that line seems especially out of place.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'm reading J.P. Donleavy's -- 'The Ginger Man'

Synopsis: First published in Paris in 1955 and originally banned in America, J. P. Donleavy's first novel is now recognized the world over as a masterpiece and a modern classic of the highest order. Set in Ireland just after World War II, The Ginger Man is J. P. Donleavy's wildly funny, picaresque classic novel of the misadventures of Sebastian Dangerfield, a young American ne'er-do-well studying at Trinity College in Dublin. Dangerfield's appetite for women, liquor, and general roguishness is insatiable--and he satisfies it with endless charm.

This guy, Dangerfield is a charming shitbag. A real love/hate relationship almost from page.. hell word one. He was a huge influence on Charles Bukowski, especially this book. Bukowski took Dunleavy to another level. I'm loving every page.

I just finished Cormac McCarthy's - Blood Meridian - I swear there are two dead bodies lying in the wild west plains today for every page in this book. It is brutal & relentless. Also considered one of the best books written in the last 50 years. If there is a happy word in this novel - McCarthy put a bullet between its eyes or scalped it.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Currently reading 99 Stories of the Game by Wayne Gretzky. It's okay, I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, but thought it would contain more stories centered around himself. Instead, it's literally 99 stories of the game of hockey...as told by Wayne. Meh, this Oiler fan wants to hear all about the old Oilers dynasty. I shouldn't downplay the book that much, it's interesting, but not exactly what I expected.
    Yes, you are correct. Did you ever read this Gretzky book? It might be more of what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I just finished Gare Joyce's Future Greats and Heartbreaks. Really interesting look behind the scenes of the scouting and the 2006 and 2007 drafts. I've only read it now for first time even though it came out years ago, and I think it's much better than it would have been at the time because we know what happened to most of the players.

There was concern for Phil Kessel's fitness and talk how much of a professional Jordan Staal was before even being drafted.

The craziest part is how much time is spent on players who didn't do anything. There was a lot of ink on Akim Aliu. And Angelo Esposito (by the way, here's an update on Esposito, who is now a landlord). The love for Kris Russell's offensive game.

The line that stood out to me was when talking to Jack Johnson's father about Jack's decision to play another season of college hockey instead of signing with Carolina and getting a chance to play in the Cup finals. "Money seems like the last thing the Johnsons have on their mind." Considering Johnson had to file for bankruptcy because his parents mismanaged his money, that line seems especially out of place.
    This is an excellent book - very good insight. There was a lot of ragging on Kessel's conditioning and dedication but some hockey people loved his skill set. Some good stories about Doug MacLean too when he was GM of the Jackets. This is the greatest book I've ever read in terms of understanding the mind of a hockey GM. Unfortunately it's out of print and very expensive. I got it when it came out and it was $85 then!

Right now I'm currently reading, "The Babes of Winter: An Inside History of Altanta Flames Hockey" by Jim Huber & Tom Saladino. I'm almost finished. This has been a very enjoyable read with many fun stories! The Atlanta Flames were an interesting club. There are many misconceptions about the Atlanta hockey market in the 70's. In 1971 hockey was a most welcomed addition in Atlanta. The fans purchased thousands of season tickets, the OMNI was packed to the rafters, and fans would dress up in their best clothes and go to the game. Flames games were the coolest thing in Atlanta and the fan support was actually incredible. This book primarily focuses on the Flames' first two seasons - how the team was founded, named, the OMNI arena, coach Boom Boom Geoffrion, GM Cliff Fletcher, the expansion and amateur drafts, etc.

One very interesting story involves then Flames president, Bill Putnam, who also ran the Atlanta Hawks basketball team. He illegally (per NBA rules) signed Julius "Dr. J" Erving to a $2millon contract while he was a member of the ABA. He thought he was getting a jump on the market, and when the NBA ruled against the signing, the Hawks were out $200,000 and an additional $50,000 in fines. Putnam never received permission from ownership to offer Erving a contract, and even though the contract was void by NBA standards, the Hawks were still on the hook to pay Erving a guaranteed $200,000. Putnam was fired over this and the new president, Wilcox, sprung into action ...

His first move was to "sell" Erving's contract back to the ABA for $400,000. During this process, a deal was negotiated where Erving would be moved to the NY Nets basketball team. Nets owner Roy Boe also owned the NY Islanders at the time. As part of the deal, Boe agreed to give the Flames the Islanders 4th pick in the 1974 NHL amateur draft. It was the only time a hockey player was an add-on to a basketball trade!!

What's extremely interesting is why the Flames ultimately moved to Calgary. It wasn't part of this book, but it was discussed later on, that the Flames owner (a real estate mogul by trade) learned of some shady dealings during some NHL owner meetings. He thought the NHL was ultimately going to face some legal troubles over these dealings, and he wanted no parts, so he cut bait. His main goal was to build up downtown Atlanta, pack the OMNI, and expand to include multiple hotels and office buildings. He accomplished his mission and ultimately sold the team to Calgary, while it was being rumored that he was selling them to an ownership group that wanted to relocate the Flames to New Jersey.

Atlanta Flames fans were heartbroken. They loved their Flames and the OMNI was selling many tickets, despite the rumors stating otherwise. Also, the players loved playing in Atlanta because of the super fan support and the climate. Tom Lysiak, the 2nd overall pick in 1973 told the Montreal Canadiens (who held the 2nd overall pick) that he would not sign with them and that he wanted to play in Atlanta, so the Habs ultimately traded the pick. Could you imagine a player in 1973 wanting to play for Atlanta over Montreal?! The book dives into that situation in great detail.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I just started Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules For Life" and it's about what I expected thus far - smart, fair and reasonable.
    For whatever reason, he has a bit of a reputation for being a far right wacko, but I don't get that sense from him at all - not from his youtube videos, nor this book.
    If you're in the center of the political spectrum, or maybe slightly right, I think you'll appreciate Dr. Peterson's thoughts.
    He's a classical liberal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism

Today that makes you right wing. 10 years ago it made you a centrist. 20 years ago it made you left wing. Funny how the political barometer keeps moving over time.

In another 10-20 years today's centrist will be "right wing", today's left wing will be "centrist", and there will be a brand new "left wing". Who knows what they'll be all about. And today's right wing will be regarded by most as dinosaurs probably. But I digress. Jordan Peterson isn't fairly labeled as "Far Right". He probably just gets that reputation because he speaks out against the Far Left. The Far Left automatically regards anyone who speaks against them as "Far Right Wackos", no?