Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    lol, true enough. I think the radicals from both sides are always going after each other. Like Bill Maher vs. Ben Shapiro. I like them both actually but they sling a lot of mud doing what they do and neither really has empathy for the other's position. It's unfortunate.
    if you want ratings you can't afford to be empathetic

back to books... Iron Maiden - 30 years of the beast. Very factual, chronological. Reads less like a story than a dry history book.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Novice

Has anyone read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell here? hahahaha

Dobber Sports Ninja

Struggling through another Dean Koontz book, Ashley Bell. It has a very similar vibe to The Good Guy. I'll get through it, but only because I'm not a quitter. I've only quit on one book, Stephen King's Gerald's Game. I may try to read that one again, it has been 15 or so years since I last gave it a go.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Someone posted 25 John Grisham Books for sale in my area.... Has anyone read them... and if so can anyone suggest the top 5-10 John Grisham books to read?

Thanks,

Dobber Sports Icon

Reading Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology."

I wasn't really aware of this but Norse mythology is really patchy and scattered in terms of sources. Gaiman found all he could to consolidate and retell them in his own words. For any Gaiman fan it's a (short) must-read.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Superstar

When commenting on The Guvnah's milestone reminded me of a book I read last year called "The Gov'nor" - autobiography of a guy named Lenny Mclean, very interesting read into his lifestyle.
    Leonard John McLean, also known as "The Guv'nor", was an English boxer, bouncer, criminal and prisoner, author, businessman, bodyguard, enforcer, weightlifter, television presenter and actor, and has been referred to as "the hardest man in Britain"
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Jedi

I just finished the Chrysalids. Was supposed to read it in like Grade 10 or something. Man I should of, great book.. perhaps it's time and perspective?

a bucket list item is to knock off the top 100 books of all time.. it's hard when there are so many great lists with varying opinions & new books keep bumping old books. probably read 250 of them by the time I'm done.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I just finished the Chrysalids. Was supposed to read it in like Grade 10 or something. Man I should of, great book.. perhaps it's time and perspective?

a bucket list item is to knock off the top 100 books of all time.. it's hard when there are so many great lists with varying opinions & new books keep bumping old books. probably read 250 of them by the time I'm done.
    Definitely time and perspective. I would like to buy some of the classics and start reading them. The last time I was in Chapters, they had republished(?) a bunch of the classics and I almost bought a few of them. Should have. Might have to go back.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

12 Rules for Life - amazing book.

One of the few self help books that actually lives up to the hype. There's no sugar coating or false hope here... all practical, pragmatic real world stuff that will help you keep your house in order and live a well managed life.

Dobber Sports Icon

I just finished reading Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How To Spend Smarter by Dan Ariely and Jeff Kreisler. It was a great read and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a better grasp of their personal finances.

The book talks about the psychology behind how we make purchasing decisions and how we can all do it better. While the subject matter sounds very dry and boring, Jeff Kreisler is a comedian (with a Princeton law degree) so the book is actually a pretty easy read.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    12 Rules for Life - amazing book.

One of the few self help books that actually lives up to the hype. There's no sugar coating or false hope here... all practical, pragmatic real world stuff that will help you keep your house in order and live a well managed life.
    Just got back from seeing him speak at UBC an hour ago (he had Dave Rubin with him). I was also at one of the discussions/debates he had with Sam Harris last month in Vancouver (moderated by Bret Weinstein). If you get the chance to see him, do. The energy of the room makes a big difference.

He gets painted as a hero for the alt-right angry white young men crowd, but maybe 20-25% were 'white males under 30' and they seemed in good spirits. Probably 35+ % (at least, probably a bit higher) were non-caucasian (including me ), and the the male-female split was about 60-40. Notice how they never show photos of the crowds when they do a hit piece? You'd think mobs of angry white kids would fit into the narrative. But it's all calm and ordered, and way too many non-white, non-male faces to print.

I know that rambled but the way the guy gets pilloried in the media as a "racist, homophobic, angry old white man inciting neo-nazis and the alt-right" by left-wing loons is appalling and beyond belief. (The guy he has introducing him, Dave Rubin, is gay and married ffs).

He's speaking in Calgary Friday the 27th - and there's a 600 or so signature petition to have him cancelled. It didn't work. So they'll show up screaming and yelling names at the crowds.
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello

Dobber Sports Icon

Just finished "Bullies: How the Left's Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences Americans" by Ben Shapiro. Good read, not really telling you anything you don't know (but you don't want to know it). Quite a bit of humour too, that was surprising.

Just started "The Strange Death Of Europe: Identity, Immigration and Islam" by Douglas Murray. Murray's a British author/speaker, very intelligent and not afraid to stand up and say what is actually happening.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Ben Shapiro is really underrated. He's smart and fair, with outstanding debating skills. I've never seen him really get cornered or flustered. No matter how sensitive the topic, he just sticks to his core and remains calm. I don't agree with him on his religious beliefs, but other than that, I have a hard time disagreeing with him on much.

I disagree with a lot of what he says (but I can still listen to him and actually like him! It is possible to disagree with someone on a lot of things and still agree with them on other things without just labeling and ignoring).

One thing you can't argue about Shapiro - he's fearless, won't back down, and will boldy state his beliefs and welcomes any debate from anyone who disagrees.

But of course he gets labelled as a Nazi by a lot of people (he wears a yarmulke - the Jewish "skull cap" everywhere he goes. But he's a Nazi, the end).

Dobber Sports Jedi

Just finished "Boy on Ice: Life & Death of Derek Boogard" ... man... sad read. It's a quick read, even for sports biography standards.

changed it up to lighten the mood. Onto Neil Gaiman's "Smoke and Mirror's" ... short story collection. God he's a good writer.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Patrick James Rothfuss He is best known for his series The Kingkiller Chronicle. If u like fantasy, advise. I reread a series of times 3, I really like the author's syllable and the detailed world