Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Superman vs Batman movie

Dobber Sports Deity

Default New Superman vs Batman movie

I wont lie, I dont watch a lot of movies based on comic books, but can someone please explain to me why Superman is fighting Batman in this new movie? Aren't they both "good guys" and super-heroes?

Anyone?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: New Superman vs Batman movie

I don't know for certain about the movie, but in the the more recent incarnations of the characters in the comics (say from the mid-'80s onward) it's because Superman sees Batman as a lawless vigilante, and Batman in turn sees Superman as a dangerously powerful Boy Scout with a God complex who won't stop interfering with his business.

This is a recurring theme that really gained traction in Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

I don't keep up with comics now, but I'd expect it's still the same since people have been aping The Dark Knight Returns for thirty years now.

Typically they're able to reach an uneasy détente and I'd expect the same to be the case here.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

I loved the darkness and intensity during the initial trailers when the storyline was presented as Batman vs. Superman, but then they derailed all that momentum when the latest trailer revealed that the storyline is actually about everyone vs Doomsday.

And for good measure... they threw Wonder Woman in there too... as if the storyline wasn't already convoluted enough by that point. What a let down.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I loved the darkness and intensity during the initial trailers when it was Batman vs. Superman, but they derailed all that momentum when the latest trailer revealed that the storyline is actually everyone (including Wonder Woman...) vs Doomsday. What a cop out.
    I'm pretty certain that they're setting up a Justice League series and this is just getting the ball rolling.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I'm pretty certain that they're setting up a Justice League series and this is just getting the ball rolling.
    That's boring.

I was looking forward to seeing a tense showdown between Superman vs. Batman. I think that would sell BIG TIME.

These writers and directors need to think outside the box...

Dobber Sports Stud

That's boring.

I was looking forward to seeing a tense showdown between Superman vs. Batman. I think that would sell BIG TIME.

THat's how it's going to play out in the first half, and there is supposedly an epic scene between S vs Bat........ obviously both guys won't kill each other in the end....... when the real baddie is out there!

Dobber Sports Ninja

And for good measure... they threw Wonder Woman in there too... as if the storyline wasn't already convoluted enough by that point. What a let down.
    ...yeah, but Wonder Woman!?!? Woo hoo!

Dobber Sports Superstar

That's boring.

Ah, they just see the success that Marvel has had with Avengers and they think "Why aren't we doing that?"

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Ah, they just see the success that Marvel has had with Avengers and they think "Why aren't we doing that?"
    That's the problem with superhero movies over the past five years... they all post big numbers, even if they're crappy movies (ie: spiderman reboot).

To be fair, most of them have been decent, but it's only a matter of time before they run out of new Marvel characters and the novelty wears off as the ideas and storylines become overplayed.

I think the superhero thing is a fad... Hollywood will move on.

Dobber Sports Titan

May be some spoilers below, but this is all stuff you can find online and won’t ruin the story too much.

It’s called Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice. It’s the start of the Justice League.

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg will be involved. The spray paint on Batman’s suit (some joker line) suggests The Joker from Suicide Squad could be involved later on. Robin has been rumoured to be involved.

It’s following the events from the movie “Man of Steel”. Some see him as a hero (the statue of him), some see him as an extreme threat. Batman (seems to be seasoned by now, like he’s coming out of retirement to do this) travels to Metropolis (after {rumoured} he has stopped all crime in Gotham) to battle Superman because Batman thinks Superman needs to be held accountable for what happened in “Man of Steel”. But there’s another threat that comes…OOOO…Wonder if they will band together and fight the real threat?!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Yup kind of a reboot of the entire DC universe and the creation of the Justice League. In a nutshell, it continues off of Man of Steel and the destruction of most of Metropolis after the big fight between Zod and Sups. I believe Bruce Wayne blames Superman for the death of his family in that event and holds a major grudge, enough to bring Batman out of retirement. No matter how noble the cause, because Superman has the power of God, Bruce believes that if there's even a minute chance that Sups would ever turn on humans ever, then he's a threat to humanity and needs to be eliminated cause nobody should hold that much power. That's pretty much most of the plot background I believe. I think the movie is vaguely based on the old Frank Miller comic Dark Knight returns where in the future Superman fights Batman due to major differences in ideology. In the comic, Batman beats Superman cause he's smart enough to use Kryptonite as a weapon and puts Superman in his place. I think the movie will do something similar before Wonderwoman shows up to patch things up between two and then they all tag team Doomsday (cloned from Zod's corpse at Lex's lab). There I just saved most of you $20 at the theatre this weekend. Granted that this is all just a wild guess on my part so I don't really know what's going to happen in the movie.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Yup kind of a reboot of the entire DC universe and the creation of the Justice League. In a nutshell, it continues off of Man of Steel and the destruction of most of Metropolis after the big fight between Zod and Sups. I believe Bruce Wayne blames Superman for the death of his family in that event and holds a major grudge, enough to bring Batman out of retirement. No matter how noble the cause, because Superman has the power of God, Bruce believes that if there's even a minute chance that Sups would ever turn on humans ever, then he's a threat to humanity and needs to be eliminated cause nobody should hold that much power. That's pretty much most of the plot background I believe. I think the movie is vaguely based on the old Frank Miller comic Dark Knight returns where in the future Superman fights Batman due to major differences in ideology. In the comic, Batman beats Superman cause he's smart enough to use Kryptonite as a weapon and puts Superman in his place. I think the movie will do something similar before Wonderwoman shows up to patch things up between two and then they all tag team Doomsday (cloned from Zod's corpse at Lex's lab). There I just saved most of you $20 at the theatre this weekend. Granted that this is all just a wild guess on my part so I don't really know what's going to happen in the movie.

Is Man of Steel any good? I'm not a Zack Snyder fan so I haven't been inclined to give it a chance.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports All-Star

Like every other reboot, it's a little different with the director putting a bit of their own spin on things. It's not bad but this isn't your campy Christopher Reeve type of movie, it's definitely produced for the teenagers of this generation. It's a lot better than Bryan Singer's Superman Return if that helps. I think you almost have to watch Man of Steel before you watch this, otherwise B vs S won't make sense. Best character in Man of Steel was hands down General Zod. Best character in Batman vs Superman is Wonder Woman. I'm a huge fan of this movie but I'll be honest, Civil War will probably still be a lot better of a movie that more people can enjoy and relate with. Nothing beats personal betrayal from a good friend over ideology of what's right vs wrong.

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry

Dobber Sports Superstar

Frankly I had no plans to see BvS because they went and casted Ben Affleck in it, who is my own personal Kryptonite.

But I'll check out Man of Steel now, just in case I end up getting dragged to BvS against my will which sometimes happens.

I appreciate for the feedback, Gainer.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports All-Star

I feel the same about JJ Abrahms movie's cause I think he's only good for cheap, low quality action flicks that show nothing but super close up scenes for no longer than 1 sec each, thus I haven't watch Star Wars yet. I'll watch that when it comes on video in April and temper my expectations. For the record, the Ben Affleck actually does capture Bruce Wayne's character a lot better than Christian Bale as he's got the right depressed brooding with that touch of cerebral edge to it. Regardless, this is going to be a wicked year for theatres between: Batman vs Superman, Civil War, and X-Men, and not to mention Daredevil will be back on Netflix next week as well. Punisher is going to be awesome, someone who thinks just like me.