Thread: How can you sniff out a "join my league" scam?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default How can you sniff out a "join my league" scam?

How can you sniff out a "join my league" scam?

I am seeing a few posts on various forums that say they have openings, but when contacted they don't respond. They post their openings repeatedly on Dobber, Rotoworld, Fantrax and Yahoo. Also, many say "this isnt my league... just helping out the commish".

Wondering if any of the posts are legitimate.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: How can you sniff out a "join my league" scam?

What benefit would anyone have of creating this type of scam?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Taking entry fees, offering prize money... but then just taking the money and running.

Dobber Sports Deity

Who would be foolish enough to offer money to someone who doesn't respond to you?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

To be honest I've been worried about this. But I only join leagues where I know the person or have conversed with from time to time on here. I also get worried when I see join date and post count low and w/o avatar :O I'm in only 2 money leagues and one doesn't pay money but the winner of the league gets a trophy $20 yearly franchise fee (LOVE THIS LEAGUE). Now I feel like joining some more .... 5 keeper leagues isn't enough for me plus I've never been a part of an inaugural team

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

fantrax is great for this, they handle all the money (for a small fee of course).

the yahoo money pools i'm in are with friends and coworkers - i.e guys i trust so i have no problem paying the commish.

i wouldn't join a random league i found on dobber or wherever unless i know the guy is a regular that can be trusted (or shamed publically if he takes the money and runs).

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont do money leagues online. The only money leagues I do is with actual friends. That being said, I am pretty sure there are services that offer security for league fees.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I've started up a few leagues over the years (maybe about half of them money leagues), and the thing that surprises me the most is how quickly some leagues fill up. If it's close to the start of the NHL season (e.g., Aug-Oct) then maybe an avg of 1 recruit/day is expected, but in non-peak recruitment times (e.g. Nov-Jul) then I'm usually happy to recruit one good new GM/week. So if a league's recruitment rate is much much faster than that, then I start to get suspicious (or maybe it's just jealousy b/c it makes me feel like a bad recruiter lol).

But from the Commish's perspective, I often ask a similar question when recruiting: how do I sniff out legit owners? It's tough over the internet when you don't have access to system logs with IP addresses.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by peatrc View Post
    But from the Commish's perspective, I often ask a similar question when recruiting: how do I sniff out legit owners? It's tough over the internet when you don't have access to system logs with IP addresses.
    You really can't with when dealing with the internet but one way to cut out a lot of the BS is to hang out in online communities like this one. My dynasty league has mostly regulars from this forum so at least we know a bit about the person before joining.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    You really can't with when dealing with the internet but one way to cut out a lot of the BS is to hang out in online communities like this one. My dynasty league has mostly regulars from this forum so at least we know a bit about the person before joining.
    Yeah, for hockey leagues I've had most success with 'Dobberites'. Not 100% but typically better than the Yahoo/Fantrax forum recruits. Sometimes Rotoworld is pretty good too.

Dobber Sports Master

if its not a money league then its probably one of the members of the league helping his commish recruit which is harmless .

if nobodys answering emails at the other end to your inquiry to join then its probably not a league worth wasting your time with.

if its a $ league then buyer beware

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Earwax Mike, if yer still looking for a league, Peatr runs an excellent one.