Thread: Varlamov or Hellebuyck?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Varlamov or Hellebuyck?

Hey guys, so my deadline is in two days and I'm not making the playoffs. Hellebuyck is a FA and I was considering grabbing him early to keep him for next season. This would mean I can trade away Varlamov. Who do you prefer next year? Varly or Hellboy? For reference, my other keeper goalie is Holtby.

I feel like this is trading the certainty of Varlamov's starting gig for the upside of Hellebuyck. I'm just not that happy with Varly's consistency.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Varlamov or Hellebuyck?

I'd shoot for the upside of Hellebuyck over Varly...I like Varly but you got a firm stable with Holtby so I would take the risk.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Is there a 3rd option?

Tough choice for me, but I'd probably have to go with the veteran here. Been burned too many times with rookies goalies to bank on them.

edit: Forgot to add, this somewhat depends on the return you would get for Varly...

Standard Yahoo 12 team
    G A +/- PPP SOG HIT | W SV% GAA SO

C: Johansen, Duchene, Marchessault
    LW: Ovechkin, B Tkachuk, Parise
    RW: Wheeler, Hoffman, Tuch
    D: Rielly, Edler, Montour, Theodore
    G: Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Raanta
    IR: Subban

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by davemoosehead View Post
    Is there a 3rd option?

Tough choice for me, but I'd probably have to go with the veteran here. Been burned too many times with rookies goalies to bank on them.

edit: Forgot to add, this somewhat depends on the return you would get for Varly...
    There is a team in my league that has: schneider, lundqvist and crawford. I've been in talks to trade for one of them but he wants either my Crosby or Tavares, which is hard to swallow. Other than that, people hold their goalies tight.

I should have mentioned I'm in a 12 team league so tendies are a premium. I considered just keeping Varly and trying to draft Hellboy next year but some of the basement teams in my league only have one goalie. So a lot of people will be looking to snag one.

Dobber Sports Expert

Interesting point to add...any way you can add Helle without dropping/trading Varly or is this move limited to roster slots for goalies?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Interesting point to add...any way you can add Helle without dropping/trading Varly or is this move limited to roster slots for goalies?
    Goldendelicious stated what I was thinking but since some of the basement teams in your league have only one goalie then you have a strong position to deal from. I would try to see what any of these teams might deal for Hellebuyck or Varlamov. If you receive a tremendous offer then make that trade.

Dobber Sports Giant

It depends what you can get for Varly. If Varlamov can fetch you an upgrade on your forward or D keepers and adding Hellebuyck gives you your 2nd starter for next year without further consequences, then I think it's worth it.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Rookie

While we have a limited roster of 3 goalies per team we also only can keep 6 going into next year. I could pick up Hellebuyck and varlamov but it would mean I would have to drop one of my current keepers: Crosby, Tavares, Klingberg, Pacioretty, Holtby and Rinne. So the likely man out is pacioretty. I'm not too sure I'd like to drop patches considering how much he shoots and how his +/- should go way up with Price next year.

So this is a tough one, would hellboy be a better keeper than patches?

My plan is to try and ship Varlamov + Pacioretty and consolidate them for a better player. Or ship Varly for either Giroux, Big Buff or Simmonds and then try to flip one of them + pacioretty for an upgraded player.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by ROSSter View Post
    So this is a tough one, would hellboy be a better keeper than patches?

My plan is to try and ship Varlamov + Pacioretty and consolidate them for a better player. Or ship Varly for either Giroux, Big Buff or Simmonds and then try to flip one of them + pacioretty for an upgraded player.

Do the bold move ASAP if you can, then pick up Hellebuyck and then package Patches and Rinne for a goalie upgrade (6th keeper). You should then have an upgraded keeper list IMO: Crosby, Tavares, Klingberg, Giroux, Holtby and (insert upgrade if you can, if not Rinne is a good choice, Hellebuyck may be one too).
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Do the bold move ASAP if you can, then pick up Hellebuyck and then package Patches and Rinne for a goalie upgrade (6th keeper). You should then have an upgraded keeper list IMO: Crosby, Tavares, Klingberg, Giroux, Holtby and (insert upgrade if you can, if not Rinne is a good choice, Hellebuyck may be one too).
    I don't have Rinne anymore, but is keeping three Centres a little too many? Right now it looks like I could ship Varlamov for a player as mentioned and then maybe ship Varlamov + that player for an upgrade.

Ultimately I guess the question is: who's the better keeper: Varlamov + Pacioretty or Hellebuyck + potential upgraded player.

SIDE NOTE: I can get GhostBear, is he worth keeping over pacioretty?