Thread: Mason McDonald

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Mason McDonald

Just wondering what a lot of your thoughts are on the chances of this kid getting a chance to play with the big club next year? Hiller and Ramo will both be FA's with very little chance of being resigned. Ortio hasn't been able to prove himself when he gets a chance and John Gilles is a huge question mark.
    Unless, they make a trade or sign someone in the off season (of which there aren't a lot of quality choices http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-centra...ear=2016&pos=G ), I think he's got a decent shot to at least be a back up or part of a 1A/1B scenario.

What do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Mason McDonald

short of him looking like Mcjesus of the goalie pads at the world juniors there shouldnt be any chance that McDonald plays for the flames next year. Treliving has to be hoping that Ramo and Hiller can get back to league average goal tending so he doesnt have to give up assets for a real #1. I'd say the odds of Ben Bishop wearing the flaming C next season are higher than McDonald.
    18 Team Full Keeper Start 10F, 3D, 1 G, 1 Flex Skater, 3 ​JR

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, SHG, SHA, W 1.5 Point: PPA 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG .5 Point; Star .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

F:
    Johansen, JvR, Monahan, Kucherov, Tavares, Coyle, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Rakell, Dadanov, Pacioretti, Gusev, Kaprizov, Tomasino, ​Greenway
    D: Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Valimaki, Hughes, K Miller, ​Grzelcyk
    G: Holtby, Gibson, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He would have to Hammond is way into the crease to create that 1A/1B scenario.. so I would put all of one cent on that actually happening. He's not ready for the AHL, let alone the NHL.

I see them making a trade for a goalie and then slowly working Gillies into the backup role over the course of 2016-17 or 2017-18. Definitely the right team to be keeping an eye on for goalies though!
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kotnorth View Post
    Just wondering what a lot of your thoughts are on the chances of this kid getting a chance to play with the big club next year? Hiller and Ramo will both be FA's with very little chance of being resigned. Ortio hasn't been able to prove himself when he gets a chance and John Gilles is a huge question mark.
    Unless, they make a trade or sign someone in the off season (of which there aren't a lot of quality choices http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-centra...ear=2016&pos=G ), I think he's got a decent shot to at least be a back up or part of a 1A/1B scenario.

What do you guys think?

Who's the last goalie to jump directly from the Q to the NHL?

Young goalie needs time. So his chances are less than 1%.

And Gillies is not a question mark. He is the Flames #1 G prospect. And even with the injury, McDonald did anything to beat him.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Stud

I think gone are the days of seeing any goaltender move straight from junior to an NHL job.

I'll admit that the Hiller/Ramo/Ortio experiment is a failure so far, and Gillies (especially with his hip surgery) has taken a step back, but McDonald jumping in next year doesn't make sense in my eyes, and I still think Gillies is the more talented prospect.

In terms of what happens next year with CGY, Darcy Kuemper, Fred Andersen, Michael Hutchison and Calvin Pickard are all RFA's next year. Don't be surprised to see one of them in a Flames uniform next year. Petr Mrazek is also coming up for a new contract, which means Jimmy Howard could be in play.

Dobber Sports Monster

At the very least I think the Flames give him a year in the AHL to marinate. Don't see much upside in him being in the NHL next year when he will get more REPS and games in the minors.

Dobber Sports Deity

Next year? Not a chance.

He is still AT LEAST 2-3 years away, if that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."