Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Price Signs 217mill 7yrs with....

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Price Signs 217mill 7yrs with....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    JBJ already turned the corner offensively. Even if he didn't, he just needs to hit like .240-.250 to be worth starting him everyday. He's probably the best or top 3 at least defensive outfielders in baseball.

Anderson Espinoza is a pitching stud in the making. Watch out for him very very soon.

The Sox rotation was excellent in the final two months or so as was the team on the whole. They hope this will continue. IMO Buchholz is a very solid #2 and he can be an ace when he is truly on. Rick Porcello had a down year but we know the calibre of pitcher he is.

Swihart was impressive as a rookie catcher but they also have Christian Vasquez who was their #1 before getting hurt.

don't forget Travis Shaw who was excellent at 1B last year.
    The BRS are a team of what ifs at this point. They weren’t consistent last yr, and we saw what the team can do when they hit their stride. But was that them hot, or what should be expected from them? No one knows until we see that at the start of the 2016 season.

Buch and Porcello are 2 guys that we don’t know who’s going to show up for a full year.

You got to admit that the team has plenty of what ifs to a degree that would be concerning. The OF and SS is the only positions on the team where I’m not worried about. But maybe catcher gets tossed in there too (as I said, don’t know them too well).

However, they just bought a possible 20w guy, and not only that, they just bought a few division losses because of it. If Boston does a 20W swing, that also means other teams need to lose, and how many will be against the TBJ (the other and arguably the only threat in the division)?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

montreal radio this am mentioned that based on his average pitch count and number of starts, it works out to ~$10,000 a PITCH!!! how will he ever feed his family??? scooters for everyone!!
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Sage

It bothers me that he has an opt-out clause after 3 seasons. So if he performs up to his level he opts out after 3 years and signs another huge deal for more money. If he is hurt or underperforms then he doesn't opt out and keeps receiving 31 M per. Teams needs to stop giving these clauses.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    It bothers me that he has an opt-out clause after 3 seasons. So if he performs up to his level he opts out after 3 years and signs another huge deal for more money. If he is hurt or underperforms then he doesn't opt out and keeps receiving 31 M per. Teams needs to stop giving these clauses.
    The chances this man has a massive yr and has a chance to make more than 127mill over 4yrs is low. It’s not like he’s a Grienke or Kershaw where you can see that happen. He’s a fastball/changeup pitcher, so he doesn’t have the secondary stuff for when he losses speed.

In 2010 Sabathia was the same age as Price is now.
    2010 CC had a 93.6avg FB speed, 2011 93.9avg, then 2012 it dropped to 92.4, then just started to give out. You can bet the same will likely happen with Price within the next 3 yrs. He’ll have a reduction in speed, and if that happens during his 3rd yr, no chance someone signs him for more than 32mill/yr (that’s pretty much what he’s averaging in the back 4yrs).

Could very well have an awesome yr (sub2ERA, 10K/9ip) but I can’t see that happening, especially in that division. Even tho he’s comfortable playing there, it’s still the AL East

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The chances this man has a massive yr and has a chance to make more than 127mill over 4yrs is low. It’s not like he’s a Grienke or Kershaw where you can see that happen. He’s a fastball/changeup pitcher, so he doesn’t have the secondary stuff for when he losses speed.

In 2010 Sabathia was the same age as Price is now.
    2010 CC had a 93.6avg FB speed, 2011 93.9avg, then 2012 it dropped to 92.4, then just started to give out. You can bet the same will likely happen with Price within the next 3 yrs. He’ll have a reduction in speed, and if that happens during his 3rd yr, no chance someone signs him for more than 32mill/yr (that’s pretty much what he’s averaging in the back 4yrs).

Could very well have an awesome yr (sub2ERA, 10K/9ip) but I can’t see that happening, especially in that division. Even tho he’s comfortable playing there, it’s still the AL East
    Haha, the downplaying of Price comes out once you lose him eh? How is he not a Greinke, who had an outlier year as a pending free agent?

CC Sabathia was fat as **** and an alcoholic. David Price may and will lose velocity one day but to compare him to Fat CC is pretty weak.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Haha, the downplaying of Price comes out once you lose him eh? How is he not a Greinke, who had an outlier year as a pending free agent?

CC Sabathia was fat as **** and an alcoholic. David Price may and will lose velocity one day but to compare him to Fat CC is pretty weak.
    Grienke has more secondary pitches that aren’t built of the performance of a fastball. That’s what I meant with the comparison. CC had his pitches built off a fastball. When Grienke’s fastball isn’t performing, he can still have success with his other stuff. By this he can theoretically succeed when his velocity goes down. Price once his FB speed drops, his game needs to change. When he throws his FB+Changeup (a pitch that only really succeeds when his fastball is 10mph more than his changeup) for 80%+ of the time, it’ll be tough for him to succeed when that speed drops. Just like CC.

How was him being a alcoholic having to do with his 2010 down fall? Wasn’t he only alcoholic for 2 years? Could be wrong with the timeline tho. But the point with the comparison was it was the first pitcher that was signed during his prime to a big contract that was to be paying him for his prime years and the back half turns into a massive overpayment (that can be afforded by the team). His pitching is also built off his FB, like Price.

Also I’m not sour that he left. He was the No2 pitcher on the market, and he pitches well in the division so good for him for sticking there. Good for him for getting paid. I’m not bitter, but I think Grienke will have success longer into his career than Price based of their pitching style.

Also Price’s little flick at the end of his follow through has brought up questions by scouts as to how much un-needed stress is going to his tendons and ligaments. I for one think that’s getting to in depth tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I would like to say I’ve given BRS quite a lot of praise in this thread, so I would really disagree with you that I’m bitter. Am I upset that the Jays didn’t get him? Yes. But I would 100% go with Grienke over Price all the time. Price gets compared to Grienke, not the other way around.

Dobber Sports Titan

Also, I was saying he’s going to be 33yrs old when his contract hits his opt out year. Who will shell out more than 31.75mill/yr to a 33yr old? It’s very rare, and Greinke is about to do it (albeit 32). The sentence before what you bolded was the big point of that post. The chances he has a massive yr, and will opt out of his 127mill is low.

St Louis went as high 190mill for 7 yrs, and wouldn’t go higher. What are the chances he has a yr in 2 yrs (final yr before his opt out) that he does better than this yr?

To go with the fact I’m bitter is off base.

Banned

Grienke is not better than Price just because of one year. He was considered meh for a long stretch a few years back. He's also two years older than Price. They're probably about equal but Greinke has done nothing to suggest he's better.

I

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Grienke has more secondary pitches that aren’t built of the performance of a fastball. That’s what I meant with the comparison. CC had his pitches built off a fastball. When Grienke’s fastball isn’t performing, he can still have success with his other stuff. By this he can theoretically succeed when his velocity goes down. Price once his FB speed drops, his game needs to change. When he throws his FB+Changeup (a pitch that only really succeeds when his fastball is 10mph more than his changeup) for 80%+ of the time, it’ll be tough for him to succeed when that speed drops. Just like CC.
    so what makes you think his game wont change? Grienke was a fastball dominated pitcher for a long time.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Deity

I've always been a David Price fan and will continue to be one. I was happy to see him in a Jays jersey, even if it was for a short time. I will just be cheering for the Jays to rock him every time they meet up for the next few years at least.

As a Jays fan, you never want to see players you like going to a hated rival. Damn Red Sox.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

My thoughts:

- I would still do the trade 10 times out of 10. I told one of my friends who was very wary of the trade that I would do it every day even if he doesn't re-sign and I stand by it.
    - I'm glad the Jays didn't sign him to this kind of contract. Fact of the matter is the Jays don't have the kind of money the Red Sox do and this contract (as i understand it) is built completely to protect Price, which leads me to my next point
    - I think the guy is genuinely a great guy and a great pitcher. I'm glad he was around to help bring the group together and provide some mentoring to young pitchers like Stroman, Sanchez, and Osuna. Just think, these guys had the privilege of being mentored by Mark Buehrle and David Price.

Peace Price, was fun while it lasted. Lol gg for all the people that bought Price jerseys and/or bought the Jays calendar (he's smack dab on the front cover)

Dobber Sports Titan

Price is a pitcher who has his secondary pitches built off the success of his Fastball. Greinke’s secondary pitches are built off nothing really. He’s able to get people without a successful FB that game. He still needs it, just not like Price.

The biggest concerns for Greinke are his personality. He’s not like Price at all when it comes to plug and place into a clubhouse. I can’t see any clubhouse where he would go in and just hate it, or have people hate him. He’s just not that type of guy. Greinke, you can’t do that. You almost have to build the team around Greinke to keep him happy and mentally strong. This makes sense based on his mental health history.

Dobber Sports Titan

And Price can change it up, nothing stopping him. But there will be growing pains when that happens. Verlander had that this yr I think. Lost speed on his FB and went about changing his pitching style. He was doing well this season for a stretch with his new style, but prior to it he was a mess (coupled with injuries). Greinke has already figured that out.
    Price Greinke
    2-Seam FB 2-Seam FB
    4-Seam FB 4-Seam FB
    Changeup Changeup
    Spike Curve Curve (2 Different speeds and movement, like Bumgardner’s Curve)
    Cutter Slider (limits use due to injury potential. But his best pitch)
    Cutter
    Euphus

Greinke has the bigger repertoire of pitches which makes me more comfortable with his effectiveness when speed gets lost. In the AL East, I get why Price was headhunted first. It’s the safer bet in that division where he’s used to playing and his stats backup that he will succeed there.

I’m just not confident that he will be as effective when his speed is lost. Where Greinke doesn’t lean on just beating batters with speed and accuracy, he leans on confusion, and keeping batters off balanced. I’m not saying Greinke isn’t accurate; he’s just not that flamethrower where he can just throw it past people.