Thread: DobberHockey on Reddit - Help?

I...am your father.

Default DobberHockey on Reddit - Help?

I know very little about Reddit, but I figure I need a presence there. Any Reddit experts? Tips/advice on what to do and how to get started? I have this forum here, and Twitter...so haven't felt urgency to go to Reddit. But everything helps I guess
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: DobberHockey on Reddit - Help?

I am not a Reddit expert by any means but I do post my Capped columns there under the #fantasyhockey section of Reddit for traffic. I see others share different columns and articles from Dobber Hockey there as well including the Daily Ramblings, etc.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I know very little about Reddit, but I figure I need a presence there. Any Reddit experts? Tips/advice on what to do and how to get started? I have this forum here, and Twitter...so haven't felt urgency to go to Reddit. But everything helps I guess
    Your best bet would be to just make an account, username dobberhockey or dobbersports or something, and then just try to comment and post regularly.

The one issue is on reddit you typically can only have 20% of your posts as your own content. So, if you post new links or threads and exceed that 20% mark, they will remove your posts or threaten to suspend your account unless you post more other stuff to bring it back down. So in other words, in your first 100 posts to reddit, only 20 could link back to dobberhockey.com.

Still worthwhile doing though, perhaps, because you can always comment on posts and link people back to relevant info on dobberhockey. It is just new posts that have to be under that threshold - not comments.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I rarely go to reddit for hockey info but I do occasionally go to these subreddits

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey
    https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyhockey
    https://www.reddit.com/r/habs
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    I rarely go to reddit for hockey info but I do occasionally go to these subreddits

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey
    https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyhockey
    https://www.reddit.com/r/habs
    The r/fantasyhockey link is the one I share my articles on.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Your best bet would be to just make an account, username dobberhockey or dobbersports or something, and then just try to comment and post regularly.

The one issue is on reddit you typically can only have 20% of your posts as your own content. So, if you post new links or threads and exceed that 20% mark, they will remove your posts or threaten to suspend your account unless you post more other stuff to bring it back down. So in other words, in your first 100 posts to reddit, only 20 could link back to dobberhockey.com.

Still worthwhile doing though, perhaps, because you can always comment on posts and link people back to relevant info on dobberhockey. It is just new posts that have to be under that threshold - not comments.
    This is interesting. So I could post the Puck Daddy and Sportsnet articles - and now Fantrax posts DobberHockey stuff. Or by "own content" that means I'm the author or it's my site? If that's the case, then I'd easily get below

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This is interesting. So I could post the Puck Daddy and Sportsnet articles - and now Fantrax posts DobberHockey stuff. Or by "own content" that means I'm the author or it's my site? If that's the case, then I'd easily get below

Just looked up the specifics of it via the FAQ.
    See below.

What constitutes spam?

It's a gray area, but some rules of thumb:

It's not strictly forbidden to submit a link to a site that you own or otherwise benefit from in some way, but you should sort of consider yourself on thin ice. So please pay careful attention to the rest of these bullet points.
    If your contribution to reddit consists mostly of submitting links to a site(s) that you own or otherwise benefit from in some way, and additionally if you do not participate in discussion, or reply to peoples questions, regardless of how many upvotes your submissions get, you are a spammer. If over 10% of your submissions and conversation are your own site/content/affiliate links, you're almost certainly a spammer.
    If people historically downvote your links or ones similar to yours, and you feel the need to keep submitting them anyway, they're probably spam.
    If people historically upvote your links or ones like them -- and we're talking about real people here, not sockpuppets or people you asked to go vote for you -- congratulations! It may not be spam! However, you still need to follow the guidelines for self promotion
    If nobody's submitted a link like yours before, give it a shot. But don't flood the new queue; submit one or two times and see what happens.
    To play it safe, write to the moderators of the community you'd like to submit to. They'll probably appreciate the advance notice. They might also set community-specific rules that supersede the ones above. And that's okay -- that's the whole point of letting people create their own reddit communities and define what's on topic and what's spam.

If you're thinking of doing any self-promotion on reddit, you might want to read this first.

I...am your father.

That about says it all jcairns, thank you for digging that up

Dobber Sports Monster

Keep in mind if you start an account Reddit won't let you create a subreddit for a while as you are a new account. You might want to get one of your henchmen to do so for the first bit - but they can make you the admin of the sub anyways. I don't think Reddit has a problem with websites starting their own subs and uploading their posts as long as it isn't spam. It gets more people clicking around on their site too. As jcairns put it you might want to play it safe and message an admin to let them know what youre doing and that you dont mean to spam. They should be okay with it.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

I...am your father.

Turns out I created an account three years ago. Did my second post yesterday, three years later ha

Administrator

Was recently asked to do an AMA on reddit. Is this just a matter of signing up for an account and setting up a thread or what? How does one go about such a thing?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg