Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to Learn the Ropes, Need Advice Please!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Trying to Learn the Ropes, Need Advice Please!

Hi guys, I’m hoping someone can help me here. I’ve a newbie to DFS Hockey. Only been playing for about a month. I started out horribly by making really dumb mistakes like not paying attention to lineups, picking forwards shooting against my goalie, choosing my personal favorites over who’s really better, etc. I’ve corrected all of those and feel as though I’m on the right path, but still not really winning much of anything.

I keep hearing people say that DFS is a game of skill and that people analyze statistics obsessively and all day long choosing the best lineups. Unfortunately, I don’t have that much time. I can dedicate maybe an hour or two a night on the following days games, but that’s about it. I’d like to know more about the statistics side of things though. What stats? What stats do people typically zero in on?

My game plan right now is to choose forwards known for offense and normally I go with players who play on the power play, same as defense. My goalies I look for who will be facing a good amount of shots, but should still win the game (to get points for saves). Every night I feel confident in my choices, but I still lose by 15-20pts. I honestly don’t know if I’m choosing that badly or maybe the game is rigged in some way. I play on Draftkings.

Lastly, I’m not looking to win top prize. It would be nice of course, but I know that’s highly unrealistic for my level right now. I’d be happy with making a little bit of profit though instead of having to keep buying in and depositing. In fact, on one of my first nights I did win $25 on one game which I was pretty happy with, but now I’m lucky to get $6 a game. Any help on how to become a better player would be appreciated!

Default Re: Trying to Learn the Ropes, Need Advice Please!

Hey Bergy, welcome to the forums!
    I have been playing DFS on Draft Kings for about a year now, I started at the beginning of last season.

I think you are doing the right thing as far as picking players, you wan't players who score, shoot and for defense, block.
    Your goalies need to have a great game, high shots, low GA always - shutouts won't hurt either!

Something I have noticed over the past year that I think is critical with DFS is the FIELD OF PLAY.
    I have actually posted in a couple of threads about this and used my own entries as data.

Let me actually give you some stats from last night on draft kings!

This is one of the lineups I entered.

Seguin - 6.0
    Sissons - 3.0
    Pominville - 3.5
    Vanek - 4.5
    Vatrano - 3.0
    Chara - 5.0
    Spurgeon - 3.5
    Dubnyk - 8.4
    Ovechkin - 1.5

Not the greatest lineup AT ALL and definitely not a winner in any big contests. However, good ENOUGH to make money and win certain ones.

Contest 1: 920 Entries, 185 Paid (Need to beat 735 people)
    Place: 104, Won $15

Contest 2: 19,159 Entries, 3840 Paid (Need to beat 16,000+ people)
    Place: 2185, Won $6

Contest 3: 9,400 entries, 1956 paid (Need to beat 6,500+ people)
    Place: 1,060, Won $0.25

I also won 4 double-up contests with this lineup.

Had I have skipped on contest 2 and 3 entered the same lineup in contest 1 for example, I would have won $15 again (twice), instead of $6 and $0.25

My point with this data is that in order to win in a field of 1,000's of people, you need to do one of a couple of things:
    a) draft a PERFECT lineup on purpose
    b) draft a PERFECT lineup by accident
    c) draft 20 different lineups, and one of them still has to be PERFECT

Or, you can draft a decent lineup when you are up against less people, and usually win!

I personally always enter the big contests, on the chance I did indeed draft the perfect lineup.
    I really like double-ups and multipliers, I find it easy to beat 50% of the players or 66% of the players for example.
    All of the big contests always pay 20% of the entrants, meaning you have to beat 80% of ALOT of lineups.

The other thing I do is always enter Multiple Lineups.
    Tonight for example, I have 4 lineups, each with emphasis on a specific team more than others. My 4 lineups tonight are in 31 contests total.
    I usually enter the 4 lineups in the same contests, unless it is a double-up or a multiplier.
    If I feel good about a line-up I will enter it 2-3 times in the same contests hoping to place with the same team multiple times.
    Usually the big winners spread their teams out very well, however, they draft 10-30 different teams to cover their basis.

Hope this helps!
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Deity

Lots of good information in here too

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...ings-strategy/
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

dooley89 - Thanks for the great info! By field of play I'm assuming you mean drafting from multiple teams? So you're not a big fan of stacking? I get so tempted to do that all the time! I don't do it, but man it's so tempting like for tonight I want to stack a Pit lineup as well as a Was lineup. I might still do it just for kicks on a lower priced game.

Another problem I have is that sometimes I feel overwhelmed with so many choices not just with roster spots, but with the contests I can enter. My second week I just went nuts and was doing like 20 different lineups a night. Not good for my game or my bank account. But, yeah that's another issue for. Overanalyzing and stressing about picking just the right player. I'm sure I'll get better with that, but as a newbie it can be overwhelming.

By the way, as a Bruins fan I'm loving that Vatrano kid! Not sure if you've seen him play, but he looks pretty awesome.

Axeman33, thanks for the link. I'll check that out later on tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergy80 View Post
    dooley89 - Thanks for the great info! By field of play I'm assuming you mean drafting from multiple teams? So you're not a big fan of stacking? I get so tempted to do that all the time! I don't do it, but man it's so tempting like for tonight I want to stack a Pit lineup as well as a Was lineup. I might still do it just for kicks on a lower priced game.

Another problem I have is that sometimes I feel overwhelmed with so many choices not just with roster spots, but with the contests I can enter. My second week I just went nuts and was doing like 20 different lineups a night. Not good for my game or my bank account. But, yeah that's another issue for. Overanalyzing and stressing about picking just the right player. I'm sure I'll get better with that, but as a newbie it can be overwhelming.

By the way, as a Bruins fan I'm loving that Vatrano kid! Not sure if you've seen him play, but he looks pretty awesome.

Axeman33, thanks for the link. I'll check that out later on tonight.

What I meant was the amount of players you are up against.
    If you look at my three examples, the exact same team won me the most money when I was only up against 920 people.

Contest 1: 920 Entries, 185 Paid (Need to beat 735 people)
    Place: 104, Won $15

Contest 2: 19,159 Entries, 3840 Paid (Need to beat 16,000+ people)
    Place: 2185, Won $6

Contest 3: 9,400 entries, 1956 paid (Need to beat 6,500+ people)
    Place: 1,060, Won $0.25

Same lineup paid in all three but the profit was higher in a smaller contest.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

So you're not a big fan of stacking? I get so tempted to do that all the time! I don't do it, but man it's so tempting like for tonight I want to stack a Pit lineup as well as a Was lineup. I might still do it just for kicks on a lower priced game.
    I often enter stacks of teams, at least 4 per team (like the MIN guys I took in the example above).

Usually the big winners spread their teams out very well, however, they draft 10-30 different teams to cover their basis.

Usually the big winners spread their teams out and do not stack, however, you need to enter LOTS of different teams to win this way!
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Gotcha now!

Well, last night sucked. Didn't win a thing. My highest points total was only 22.7. Not giving up though. I have a more lineups planned tonight. Here are a few of them which I feel pretty confident with. Do you see anything glaringly wrong with them?

Leon Draisaitl
    Henrik Sedin
    Patrick Kane
    Artemi Panarin
    Daniel Sedin
    Roman Josi
    Brent Seabrook
    Cory Schneider
    Frank Vatrano

Artem Anisimov
    Jonathan Toews
    Matt Belesky
    Patrick Kane
    Artemi Panarin
    Dustin Byfuglien
    Shea Weber
    Mike Condon
    Adam Cracknell

Patrice Bergeron
    Steven Stamkos
    Mike Cammalleri
    Adam Henrique
    Lee Stempniak
    Brent Burns
    Zdeno Chara
    Ryan Miller
    Kyle Palmieri

Gotcha now!

Well, last night sucked. Didn't win a thing. My highest points total was only 22.7. Not giving up though. I have a more lineups planned tonight. Here are a few of them which I feel pretty confident with. Do you see anything glaringly wrong with them?

Leon Draisaitl
    Henrik Sedin
    Patrick Kane
    Artemi Panarin
    Daniel Sedin
    Roman Josi
    Brent Seabrook
    Cory Schneider
    Frank Vatrano

Artem Anisimov
    Jonathan Toews
    Matt Belesky
    Patrick Kane
    Artemi Panarin
    Dustin Byfuglien
    Shea Weber
    Mike Condon
    Adam Cracknell

Patrice Bergeron
    Steven Stamkos
    Mike Cammalleri
    Adam Henrique
    Lee Stempniak
    Brent Burns
    Zdeno Chara
    Ryan Miller
    Kyle Palmieri
    I only won a little bit last night with a CGY lineup, only had 31.8 points!

Tonight is a night I generally focus on double-up contests, hoping my team is in the top 50%, not expecting to be in the top 20% for the big contests.
    I think if you put those teams in double-ups you should be able to compete.

I only entered one lineup, pretty spread out among different teams.

If Buffalo can upset SJS they will make some people alot of money, always so under-drafted.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Well, you were right on the double up side of things. I won on 4 out of 6. I also got a bit from other contests too. My total winnings was just over $35 on $22. Not bad. I still play the little games until I feel I know what I'm doing. The thing that really sucks is that I checked my status at one point and I was at $579 winnings! The next time I looked I dropped down to $337. I've never wanted games to end so quickly before. LOL That was the highest I've ever seen my potential winnings.

I learned something else too. From now I'm going with my gut instincts. There were a few players last night who scored pretty good points, but I second guessed myself and took them off of my rosters. Kicked myself in the butt all night over that one.

Got a few more in for tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Dobber Sports Deity

I find I get most of my success in the H2H formats but did manage to win a few bucks last night in a 50/50 hockey pool.

Like you, I am still playing the small change, $1 plays, $3 plays, etc. I am still learning as I go as well.

Congrats on your winnings.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Well, you were right on the double up side of things. I won on 4 out of 6. I also got a bit from other contests too. My total winnings was just over $35 on $22. Not bad. I still play the little games until I feel I know what I'm doing. The thing that really sucks is that I checked my status at one point and I was at $579 winnings! The next time I looked I dropped down to $337. I've never wanted games to end so quickly before. LOL That was the highest I've ever seen my potential winnings.

I learned something else too. From now I'm going with my gut instincts. There were a few players last night who scored pretty good points, but I second guessed myself and took them off of my rosters. Kicked myself in the butt all night over that one.

Got a few more in for tonight. We'll see how it goes.
    Yeah that usually happens if you stacked on some of the early games, I have logged in too over $2,000 in winnings but learned very quickly it means absolutely nothing.
    This weekend I actually didn't win anything at all, my account balance is getting pretty low at this point.
    I have found it's been much harder to win for the past two weeks, maybe due to the massive amount of advertising or something, not sure.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Sorry it was a bust for you this weekend. I made out ok. I had that little win on Sat and last night I ended up with a total of $49.14 on $33 worth of bets.

I have three lineups ready to go for tonight. I’ve entered them each into 5 contests. I had a hard time picking my lineups tonight. Plenty of great players, but I was really torn on how to match them up. For some reason it just felt really overwhelming for me. Maybe a sign I should withdraw on some contests and keep my money for another night. At the same time I have those “what ifs” running through my head. What if I somehow drafted a big winner and I dropped. I think coming up with a strategy is something I really need to focus on. Ugh…. So stressful this stuff is! LOL

The Great One

to win a big pot on DFS it's 80% luck.

Dobber Sports Rookie

how did everyone do last night, i entered in 6 contests 3 different lineups, ended up breaking even... getting ready for tonight's match ups !

Dobber Sports Sophomore

So, last night was absolutely horrendous! Probably my worst night ever. Didn’t win a thing and my totals were half of what the winner’s totals were. I was so confident going into the night that I had a decent shot to take some cash. Nope! None of my players really showed up. I guess this is the sucky part of hockey. Hot players can go cold from game to the next. Hot goalies can flop in one game. Oh well, part of DFS. I’ve got more lineups planned tonight, we’ll see how it goes.