Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NHL vs. KHL - A Team Should Try This...

I...am your father.

Default NHL vs. KHL - A Team Should Try This...

Now, more than ever, the NHL needs a franchise to make a sacrifice.

That sentence alone probably cost me half the readers of this little rant, because it is so far-fetched that a franchise would actually spend millions and take a big risk for the sake of the league that even thinking that there is an inkling of hope that it could happen makes me a bigger idiot than Ted Saskin.

But bear with me. Enter my little imaginary dream world if you will. Picture this:

The KHL refuses to cave on the Alexander Radulov issue. The NHL refuses to accept a transfer fee in return. The KHL still wants a no-player-poaching arrangement between the two leagues. These are facts, and nothing will break the stalemate. Unless, of course, the IIHF takes a very (VERY) tough stance against the KHL – which isn’t going to happen.

So what if an NHL team backs up the Brinks truck to the front door of Aleksey Morosov’s house, and the front door of Sergei Zinovjev’s house?

Yes, I know they are virtually unproven in the NHL and certainly not worth big money. But it’s my dream world and I’m going to continue.

A team with cap room gives Morozov $5 million for one season, which is more than enough to get him here (rumor has it he would come if he could ever get $3.5 to $4 million). Zinovjev would get $3.5 million (again, WAY too much, but bear with me).

Now you are taking two of the top scorers out of the KHL. A team with cap room, a Russian already on their team, with little hope of a playoff appearance regardless, could stick Morozov and Zinovjev and the other Russian on a top line. They spend $8.5 million and perhaps this line would be dynamite, or perhaps they will be a combined minus-80. Either way, they would be exciting to watch and the team wasn’t getting into the playoffs anyway.

I’m just trying to think of a team (Toronto) with no playoff hope (Toronto), a Russian in their top six (Kulemin), and cap room (bye-bye McCabe).

This one act would have the KHL fuming. The billionaire behind the league, Medvedev, would finally not get something that he wants (I love it when rich people fail to get what they want – it makes my day). He would see the danger of taking on the NHL head-on like this. There would be no more Radulov situations. Ever again.

Okay, I release you from my dream world. You can go back to reality now.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Pro

Actually, a better team to pull that off is ATL: more cap room, more desperate to make the playoff, and Kovalchuk rather than Kulemin to throw them with ... If I were an ATL owner I\'d definitely do it, and for the simple reason that it would actually be a good move for my club, putting aside its potential impact on the NHL-KHL spat.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Dobber you forgot one thing, the Leafs dont do anything lol. I\'m surprised myself they finally bought some players out, but still the Leafs are not known for taking any risks lately... I\'d love to see something, atleast they traded up for someone instead of trading a top pick away.

I...am your father.

fzusher - good point. Atlanta is an even better fit.

Mike - another good point. Makes it even more of a \"dream\" world I\'m in, eh?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

LA actually needs to add a bunch of salary prior to the season, and Dean Lombardi is at least a little crazy.

Match made in heaven?
    In Dobber Veritas

Dobber Sports Genius

The NHL can try and defeat the KHL and they may be successful. They thwarted the WHA. So history shows this can be accomplished.

However, remember that we are not the only hockey fans in the world. We don\'t own the game. The hockey world does not bow exclusively to the NHL or Canada.

The game is \"entertainment\". The dollars generated are for entertainment. This is why the pay schedules are unlike the remainder of the \"working world\". The games are sold not to the public, but to the corporate world. So in a market like Toronto, there is lots of corporate world to pick up the tickets at an exhorbitant price. Good business on the part of the NHL teams says get the most money you can for the tickets. Get the most money you can...

With North America only being 1/2 of the worlds hockey domain, it is reasonable to think that the other half of the world will eventually get their ducks in a row, and continue to organize bigger and better leagues. They will want frontline attractions thereby allowing ticket prices, advertising revenues and general enthusiasm to increase. This would be good business. As they grow, they will have increased buying power and this will attract players we have been accustom to having in North America. Players won\'t have to move 1/2 way round the world to make big dollars. Pretend if you may that moving all over the place is the \"best way\". I\'m not alone in settling new where I grew up. Questions will start to surface in regards to \"the best team/league\" in the world.

The most prudent move would be.... expansion. Bringing the KHL under your umbrella and perhaps the top centres in Sweden, Finland, Germany, Switzerland. It would allow the NHL to retain the monopoly. The monopoly allows the NHL to dictate the dollars. This makes good business sense. (By the way, has anyone noticed that global seems to be a trend these days.) A carefully devised plan inwhich the creation of a 10 or 12 team division in Europe, would allow this grouping to play significantly close to home, and then go on three or four extended road trips annually. On the flip, the current NHL teams would go on a couple of extended road trips.

This would essentially end the scenarios we have seen with Jagr, Yashin, Radulov....

With a cap, the NHL needs to worry and be progressive.

This is obviously long since on their minds as the NHL is now playing games in Europe every year.

Dobber Sports Guru

pity that atlanta\'s ownership are a bunch of cheapskates

toronto.. i\'m not even going there. they really have no excuse, do they?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hmmm...thinking outside the box...with a side of reality...I like it...+1 JHM.

Dobber Sports Guru

JHM - you nailed it. both the NHL and NBA have their eyes on Europe, and its only a matter of time.

what we really need are supersonic jets so that trans-atlantic flight can be made in 4 hours instead of 10. would solve many problems.

i\'m not kidding!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Interesting points JHM.

I have to say though that I cannot fathom how the NHL could ever be financially viable by playing overseas. Great idea but the travel alone would be a KILLER!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Well, I think if the Big 8 has a say in this, Russias international expansion of the RSL should be halted based on the crap they pulled in Georgia. I think all those European countries should be forced too pull out of whatever contract they agreed too, or face severe penalties from the U.N.
    CHL Division 2
    Yahoo H2H 14 Team Keep 8 Standard
    3C,3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 6 Bench
    G A +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG GWG SOG
    W GAA SV SA* SV% SHO
    C: Huberdeau,B. Richards,Berglund,Desharnais, F. Forsberg, Nyquist
    LW:Landeskog,Elias, Vanek, Tlusty, Fleischmann,Baertschi
    RW:Perry,Wheeler,Cole,Bennet,Okposo
    D:Keith,Carlson,Whitney(edm),Zidicky,B. Smith
    G:Crawford,Dubnyk,Lindback

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

ramprat wrote:
    Well, I think if the Big 8 has a say in this, Russias international expansion of the RSL should be halted based on the crap they pulled in Georgia. I think all those European countries should be forced too pull out of whatever contract they agreed too, or face severe penalties from the U.N.
    The crap they pulled in Georgia? The entire world, apart from the US is reporting that Russia are the good guys in that situation, helping Ossetia from Georgian oppression.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think that one of the dangers of expanding the NHL in Europe would be that it could create a flow of players between teams (ie NA players playing on europ. teams and vice versa). If the idea proves to be a flop , it could cost quite a few players moving to Europe and the start of a can of worms( buddies following buddies) . Scary stuff. I usually don\'t believe in fighting fire with fire but Dobber\'s idea rings better to my ears.
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like Dobber\'s plan to get their attention, and JHM\'s plan as the inevitable rapprochement.

Great thread!

Dobber Sports Pro

sentium wrote:
    ramprat wrote:
    The crap they pulled in Georgia? The entire world, apart from the US is reporting that Russia are the good guys in that situation, helping Ossetia from Georgian oppression.
    Oh how the US media can easily sway people\'s opinions. I mean, look at how many people thought going into Iraq was a good idea, due to the zounds of speculated WMDs to be found there.

I agree that it seems georgia is a bit of the bad guy, although Russia has also incredibly overreacted to the situation...a way to showcase that (A) they have power, and (B ) they\'re smart enough to know that the USA can\'t do anything this time around.

As for the KHL scenario, I could see Atlanta doing something in this, as well. I\'m not so sure of the international expansion for the NHL, but it could be looked into definitely.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin