Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chase Utley suspended 2 games for dangerous slide

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Chase Utley suspended 2 games for dangerous slide

No arguing, or disagreeing. I’m just curious how the other side of the discussion sees the rule.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I guess we just disagree on whether or not it is dirty. Fair enough. I'm not the only one saying he shouldn't be suspended as they would have to change the rule to do that.
    So, Matt Cooke accidentally stepping on Erik Karlsson and partially severing his Achilles is dirty, but Utley intentionally sliding into Tejada to break up a double play, breaking his leg in the process, is not dirty? Would you explain to me the criteria into what constitutes a "dirty" play?

Rylant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    So, Matt Cooke accidentally stepping on Erik Karlsson and partially severing his Achilles is dirty, but Utley intentionally sliding into Tejada to break up a double play, breaking his leg in the process, is not dirty? Would you explain to me the criteria into what constitutes a "dirty" play?

Rylant
    Never said anything about Cooke and that is irrelevant to this discussion. Again it sucks that he got hurt but such is sports.

I think Utley's play was hard and intense as it should be in the postseason.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I have to side with BigEv here (to some degree).

I’ve read the rule in question and a few articles on the rule. The way I see it the problem is that the rule is quite vague. It calls the batter out when “in the umpire’s judgement” and requires the interference be intentional.
    Watching the slide it is a hard play by Utley, he goes at the fielder instead of the bag. At first instance the umpire called Utley out by force out, being forced out but breaking up the double play is a completely normal result in a situation like this, and Utley would take praise for the slide from teammates and coaches I imagine.

IMO, the reason the play is getting all the attention is because of the injury, and because of the challenge which ruled Utley was safe. Once it was determined Tejada didn’t touch 2nd I think the umpires should have conferenced to decide if Utley should be called out based on the rule quoted above. However, I’m not sure if this allowed under the new replay rules. Also, it had been several minutes so now the umpire has to remember the play and decide after the fact if the slide itself should lead to Utley, and the batter, being called out. I think the ump side stepped the issue of calling Utley out for an illegal slide when he called him out on the force.

On to the suspension. I think precedent is a very strong defense in this case. Runners are taught to slide into 2nd and break-up the double play. Yes the rule in question is on the books but frankly, it’s never called, and I can’t remember a single instance of a player being suspended for a hard slide in the past decade. Earlier this year the Pirates lost their rookie SS Hang for the season on a very similar play, video here:
    http://gfycat.com/InexperiencedScientificDowitcher

Honestly that slide looks the exact same as Utley, if not worse, the runner is way outside the bsae. SS tries to clear to the RF side of the bag, runner slide well right of the bag, here runner throws his feet out and trips SS, Utley did same thing except hit Tejada square in the leg. Given the vague wording in the rulebook, and the fact that there have been many instances of similar slide without suspension, I don’t know how the MLB can justify Utley’s suspension in this case.

I believe this play will be the equivalent of the Posey injury that leads to MLB re-writing the rule regarding takeout slides and I think MLB should do that. Change it to read “a runner must slide directly at a base and may not alter his running or sliding path to interfere with a fielder. Then put runners and umps on notice that it will be called, then with a new rule in place early in the season suspend the first few questionable plays. Thus the game will change and middle infielders will be much safer.
    All that being said, with the way the rule is currently written and called, I don’t see how Utley’s suspension is justifiable.

IMO, the correct call on the play would have been to call Utley out for an illegal slide, the batter at first and no suspension. MLB IMO made the wrong call on the field and then tried to make up for it by suspending Utley.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Star

The problem is the umpires don't enforce the rule. It's still good old hard nosed baseball to some people. You should be sliding hard into 2nd base to break up a double play. However, you should not be sliding at a players feet after the bag with the intent on blasting an already vulnerable fielder to do it. Tejada actually took additional steps out of the base path as he turned to throw and Utley targeted him still. That's where the umpire needed to step up and make the call...don't give me but it's the playoffs bullshit either.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by islefan31 View Post
    The problem is the umpires don't enforce the rule. It's still good old hard nosed baseball to some people. You should be sliding hard into 2nd base to break up a double. However, you should not be sliding at a players feet after the bag with the intent on blasting an already vulnerable fielder to do it. Tejada actually took additional steps out of the base path as he turned to throw and Utley targeted him still. That's where the umpire needed to step up and make the call...don't give me but it's the playoffs bullshit either.
    Nice post ya little monkey! We'll have to bring it up again when an NHL player is injured on a good old "hard-nosed" play that the refs don't call anymore (hey kids, keep your head up!?). Half of Hall of Famer Scott Stevens hits would have resulted in suspensions if today's rules were applied back then, but too many farking guys came across the blueline with their heads down, so the former "tough", but legal hit that blew up the forward (haha Lindros, Kariya come to mind) is no longer legal for the greater good.

It doesn't seem right for baseball players to get hurt due to a hard slide/tackle on a defenseless player/fielder - MLB has already cut way down (stopped?) collisions at home plate because players were getting hurt. Easy to see that's where MLB is going next. You still have to allow players to slide into second base, but what Utley did was over the top - definitely had no intention other than to hit Tejada (very late slide).