Thread: Starters for 08/09 openers

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Starters for 08/09 openers

Sorry guys, but this section was dying for a thread (and I was sick of staring at the word \"THE\" on the Forums Page for the past month ever since ramrod put up the last post many,many,many days ago).

So who will be the opening game starters. I know it\'s obvious in most cases but where will we see a surprise.

ANA - Giguere
    ATL - Lehtonen
    BOS - Thomas
    BUF - Miller
    CAL - Kipper
    CAR - Ward
    CHI - Huet
    COL - Budaj
    CLB - Leclaire
    DAL - Turco
    DET - Osgood
    EDM - Garon
    FLA - Vokoun
    LAK - LaBarbera
    MIN - Backstrom
    MON - Price
    NSH - Ellis
    NJD - Brodeur
    NYI - Dipietro
    NYR - Lundqvist
    OTT - Gerber
    PHI - Biron
    PHX - Bryzgalov
    PIT - Fleury
    STL - Legace
    SJS - Nabby
    TBL - Kolzig
    TOR - Toskala
    VAN - Sanford........j/k - Luongo
    WSH - Theodore

If anyone sees any discrepancies/errors in my list by all means speak up or mention who you think will be a starter on opening night. I wasn\'t too sure about LA and Minny.

I\'ll take a risk and say Kolzig wins the starting job in Lightning camp. I also think Rollie will take the retake the starting job in Edm in the first 15-20 game, and Mason also takes over Legace early on in the year. Colorado is going to have a goalie crisis in the first half and make a move/trade.

Other thoughts anyone?

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Ace

Bernier starts once again in LA
    My keeper squad on this 10 team, no positional requirement league (except 1 goalie and 1 NHL team). Points only: Parise, Kopitar, Hemsky, Brunette, J Staal, Okposo, Doan, Roy, O.Jokinen, Giroux, Krejci, Oshie, Eberle, Little, Filpulla, Steen, Filatov, Hudler, H.Lundqvist, + NHL Team LA.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Looks pretty clear cut to me unless someone hits the IR
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

The King of Diatribes

BOS - FERNANDEZ makes a big push to come back fully healthy and prove he is still NHL starter material. His injured status all last season lends to inspired training camp and pre-season play and the right to start the season opener in Colorado, a team he has experience playing against from his days in Dallas and Minnesota.

CHI - KHABIBULIN is in desperation mode from Day 1 of training camp and staves off a complacent Cristobal. Huet knows he\'s around for awhile and The Bulin Wall gets the courtesy start due to his veteran status and prior success helping Chicago become competitive again.

MIN - Backstrom will be injured and HARDING will be the surprise, but steady, starter.

STL - Legace will have a slight non-serious injury and MASON will once again display the sickest helmet in the league with something eerily similar to his Nashville Predators dinosaur-skeleton-looking-awesome artwork.

TBL - Kolzig??? SMITH. Just because I think it\'s an awesome goaltending tandem and I like them both. Smith and Kolzig. Hell yes. That\'s going to be awesome!!

Dobber Sports Genius

i\'ll suggest that colorado starts raycroft.as much as i agree that kolzig has the chance to be huge in T.B. i still feel they have to start smith , otherwise he\'s going to star and wonder what he\'s doing there.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Rookie

Stephane Richer wrote:
    Bernier starts once again in LA
    I would like that.
    Jo Villaverde
    CKUW 95.9FM, Winnipeg, Ultra Mega Sports Show - Host and Producer
    The Uniter, Winnipeg - Sports Writer

Dobber Sports Ace

smoothfun wrote:
    i\'ll suggest that colorado starts raycroft.as much as i agree that kolzig has the chance to be huge in T.B. i still feel they have to start smith , otherwise he\'s going to star and wonder what he\'s doing there.
    It has been said in all the Colorado papers and articles, Budaj wil be the #1 heading into this season. I can see Raycroft potentially pushing him but no way he starts opening night. Until Budaj faulters, Raycroft won\'t get much of a sniff imo
    20 team h2h (multi-cat) dynasty league, 1st season
    C: Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Eakin, Backlund, Schroeder, Bjugstad, Miller, Gaustad
    LW: M Foligno, Wilson, Tatar, Bailey, Palat
    RW: Ovechkin, Voracek, Frattin, Coyle, Clutterbuck
    D: Barrie, Del Zotto, Brodin, Vatanen, Gudas, Donovan, Murphy, Hamonic, Grossmann, Michalek
    G: Pavelec, Schneider, Enroth

The King of Diatribes

Any paper that says \"Budaj will be the #1\" over Raycroft is just purely speculating or making a stab in the dark. There\'s absolutely no way the coaching staff has guaranteed Budaj the start (or starting role) on opening night.

Even though I happen to agree with you that Budaj ends up out-playing Raycroft in pre-season, what you read in the paper, especially from what I consider slack-jawed ignorami regarding goaltenders, should have no impact on your own personal thoughts...

Plus, it\'s terribly too early to be making those kind of comments in the paper...although I\'m really not surprised.

Right now, in Colorado, it\'s totally up for grabs. Whoever is playing more consistent will get the playing time, it\'s NOT going to be a \"Budaj is starter no matter what\" or \"Raycroft deserves the starting role no matter what\" type of situation...it\'s going to be handed to whoever proves their worth in training camp and pre-season.

I bet the papers in Colorado ALSO failed to mention the value of Tyler Weiman and Mike Wall.....both of which could easily land the backup job. It\'s wide open right now.

Also let me give you an example - Toronto last year.

The most over-looked blunder of Paul Maurice\'s tenure...

He started RAYCROFT over TOSKALA on opening night. Toskala was \"hands down the #1\" coming into the season after the trade and happened to play better in pre-season ... but obviously it mattered not ... for some reason Maurice had it in his mind that Raycroft was labeled for a revival season no matter what...and I\'m sure you saw how big of a mistake THAT was. My point being - no matter what the situation, coaching staff must always go with the more comfortable, consistent goalie once pre-season is over.

Banned

If Ellis is going to have a season similar to Mason\'s last year (which is possible, because he is by no means proven) You can bet your ass that Rinne will start a lot of games, if not take over for #1.