Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Plotnikov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Plotnikov

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Have you ever watched him play? You say you've "read some promising things", but have you ever actually seen him on the ice before? Cause it doesn't sound like it.
    No, but I'm no talent scout. I rely on history, statistics, and professional opinion. How do I know if he looks good because he's good, or if it's because he's playing in a lesser league, or against lesser competition? The truth is, no one has ever seen this guy play in a real NHL game against a real NHL roster. Heck, maybe he'll be the one guy to beat the odds, but I won't hold my breath. Most of the guys in the above list had people pretty excited as well. Remember Tangradi? And he was actually drafted!
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold
    Positions: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW Goalies: W, GAA, SV%

C: MacKinnon, Couturier, Eriksson Ek, McCann (LW), Cizikas, Carrick
    LW: Kaprizov, J.T. Miller (C), J. Robertson, Colton (C)
    RW: Perron (LW), T. Moore
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Letang, Dumba, Lindell, Siegenthaler
    G: Hellebuyck, Vejmelka

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by RememberRobitaille View Post
    No, but I'm no talent scout. I rely on history, statistics, and professional opinion. How do I know if he looks good because he's good, or if it's because he's playing in a lesser league, or against lesser competition? The truth is, no one has ever seen this guy play in a real NHL game against a real NHL roster. Heck, maybe he'll be the one guy to beat the odds, but I won't hold my breath. Most of the guys in the above list had people pretty excited as well. Remember Tangradi? And he was actually drafted!
    He looked pretty good against an almost full Lightning squad. Scored a goal (in front of Hedman and Stralman), then picked up an assist where he fended off Matt Carle and found Malkin in front of the net, then on his second assist he jumped on a loose puck made a beauty cross ice pass (Namestnikov and Nesterov were both back) to Clendening. He was on the ice for all 4 PIT goals.

His defensive play could use some touch ups (was also on for a goal against), but overall has looked very strong, very willing to hit and has chemistry with Malkin and Hornqvist.

Theres a difference between flopping Tangradi in there in the middle of November and actually seeing chemistry develop in preseason.

The Great One

"I like what I see," Penguins coach Mike Johnston said. "Certainly Hornqvist and [Malkin], we thought they had some chemistry before, but Sergei Plotnikov, I know people have talked about him. He's fit in better and better every night that I see him."

Johnston was impressed with how hard Plotnikov played on the puck down low.

"He's really hard to knock off the puck. He's strong," Johnston said. "[Malkin] is going to find open space, we know that, and once they start to get a feel for each other I think you'll start to see a few more open opportunities around the net."

It all sounds great, and promising. It really does. All I'm saying is that the Penguins track record for this is exactly zilch. And the pre-season has always been replete with duds who have looked very promising before the real games start.

No question that he's worth a late round flier. I wouldn't dump a talented prospect like Sprong to scoop up Plotnikov, but if I had room on my roster and was trying to choose between Plot or... I don't know... Artem Anisimov? Then yeah, sign me up for the Russian Roulette (new nickname?).

Just a little something more to chew on, though... Plotnikov's best KHL season saw him score at a 54 point pace. Is everyone familiar with Rob Vollman's method of predicting transitions between leagues? He estimates about a 0.78 rate of NHL scoring when coming over from the KHL. So that's 42 points for Plot at best. At best! Add to that the fact that his skating is suspect, and Pete, you say his defense is sketchy... I don't know. It smells like there's a whole lot waiting to go wrong. I say expect 25-30 points from the kid with an outside chance of some upside in future years, and then be thrilled if you get more. Seems a lot more likely he'll leverage his year in the NHL to sign a juicy KHL contract and go home to be a star.
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

The Great One

Thats a .78 ratio without playing with Malkin though.

Dobber Sports Stud

His skating actually looks a lot better in the preseason than it did at the world championships. Just personal opinion though.

And as for the KHL scoring, I'm familiar with the calculation, however you have to consider he also led his team in scoring 2 out of the past 3 years. He himself isn't an elite offensive force by any stretch, and he had absolute garbage players to play with. So with that in mind, a rough 42 point conversion is cool in my books, especially since we'll likely see him toss 200 hits and chuck 150 pucks at the net too. And, as Guru stated, that conversion doesn't include Malkin in it, assuming they keep developing chemistry.

I feel that "likely" is a strong word when predicting such lofty numbers for an undrafted Russian free agent with no NHL games to his name. Not saying what you're predicting won't happen. But I'd certainly bet against it.

Dobber Sports Monster

I've heard him compared to Leo Komarov with a bit more offense...sounds good to me!

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I've heard him compared to Leo Komarov with a bit more offense...sounds good to me!
    Exactly!

- - - Updated - - -

Great rebuttal
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Expert

No, but I'm no talent scout. I rely on history, statistics, and professional opinion.
    So the fact that Caputi, Tangradi and Pesonen didn't work out in Pittsburgh means that the same will happen with Plotnikov? Is that history, statisics or a professional opinion ?

Plotnikov was not signed to be a scoring winger, he should be fine as a 3rd or 4th line player with some scoring touch and grit. That's a realistic expectation and that's what he will deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    So the fact that Caputi, Tangradi and Pesonen didn't work out in Pittsburgh means that the same will happen with Plotnikov? Is that history, statisics or a professional opinion ?

Plotnikov was not signed to be a scoring winger, he should be fine as a 3rd or 4th line player with some scoring touch and grit. That's a realistic expectation and that's what he will deliver.
    History. The Pens have a history of unproven players never working out in their top 6.

Yes, that does sound more realistic. Although I don't know if that makes him more than the occasional waiver pickup. But there's been a lot of talk about a 20/20 rookie season, and a full year with Malkin and such. The point I was hoping to make is that he should be treated with no more excitement than one should treat Cervenka, Brunnstrom, Pesonen, or any other over-hyped Euro FA signing. Temper expectations, use a late pick in case he's that one guy who works out, but don't tear up your roster or dump quality prospects to make room for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Great rebuttal
    Lol. I get the impression that was thick with sarcasm.

Dobber Sports Expert

History. The Pens have a history of unproven players never working out in their top 6.
    But blaming the players or making a rule out of that is not the right way. The Pens spent a ton of money for just a very few players and couldn't afford to get and pay quality wingers. Therefore they had to use a shotgun strategy, sign a lot of unproven players and hope that 2 or 3 of them surprise.

That has nothing to do with Plotnikov. He is supposed to be a depth guy and maybe he clicks with Malkin, but the difference is, that the Pens don't need him to. He was signed as a depth 3rd or 4th line player, if he gives them that, everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    But blaming the players or making a rule out of that is not the right way. The Pens spent a ton of money for just a very few players and couldn't afford to get and pay quality wingers. Therefore they had to use a shotgun strategy, sign a lot of unproven players and hope that 2 or 3 of them surprise.

That has nothing to do with Plotnikov. He is supposed to be a depth guy and maybe he clicks with Malkin, but the difference is, that the Pens don't need him to. He was signed as a depth 3rd or 4th line player, if he gives them that, everything is fine.
    But aren't we talking about Plotnikov's fantasy relevance? I didn't say he wouldn't work out as a 4th liner. I said it seemed unlikely he would be a relevant top 6 scorer.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I want him on one of my 6 one-year teams but he's going extremely high