Thread: Your Favorite Fantasy Hockey Primers

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Your Favorite Fantasy Hockey Primers

Hey guys,

For curiosities sake, I decided to purchase several fantasy hockey primer magazines and the dobber package to see how they matched up. If there are any other good ones that I should check out, feel free to post.

So far I've read through dobber, sports forecaster, sportsnet pool guide, THN's pool guide.

Each had their own tidbits of knowledge that I found useful, the sportsnet and THN are a little more shallow than sports forecast and dobber. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the comprehensiveness of the sports forecaster issue, and think it will be my go-to companion to dobber from now on.

What's your favourites?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Your Favorite Fantasy Hockey Primers

sports forecaster for me

Dobber Sports Novice

I have done work at quite a few of them. We also do a DFS Hockey podcast on Tuesday nights with Michael Clifford and Chris Pacheco. It's a little different than most. We do not sugar coat and is always a good learning experience for all, even us.
    Keeper of the sacred fantasy hockey word and also a lover of bacon, pork roll, and of course all sorts of line combinations.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Forcaster for me as well as a support to what I get from the Dobber guide which once again is far and away my #1 resource.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Next to Dobber, LeftWingLock produces the best guide and provides you with up to 3 customized player rankings (based on your leagues scoring categories).
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Master

Have to say that the Sports Forecaster is the second best guide out there, after Dobber's multifaceted guide. Both Sporstnet & THN's are pretty lightweight, and I can't comment on LeftWingLock (Lord of Rinks mentioned it above) as I didn't know they had their own guide

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great thread idea sir! I have been using dobber since I've known it exists. This year, a guy I'm in a league with mentioned that THN was his bible and suggested I try it. I bought the pdf version and boy am I disapointed... I'm almost wondering if the guy was trolling me so he could win the league next year :P.

Very shallow, no rationale for the projections aside from a one liner... They include a bunch of superfluous stuff (loads of pages with last year's stats) and they don't update it throughout the camp (since it is hard-printed). I died a little inside when they mentioned stuff like: "you should follow training camp to know if he's going to play"... I mean, I'll be checking, but I thought it was your job to project accordingly!

I might try the others mentioned above, but Dobber's guide is by far the best so far for me. I also LOVE the spreadsheet that comes with the guide as I am a stat geek and love to play around with stats and I use it to ultimately customize my rankings on fantasy sites such as yahoo and fantrax.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWassel View Post
    I have done work at quite a few of them. We also do a DFS Hockey podcast on Tuesday nights with Michael Clifford and Chris Pacheco. It's a little different than most. We do not sugar coat and is always a good learning experience for all, even us.
    What's the name of this podcast?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev