Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbies – welcome and advice

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Newbies – welcome and advice

[Mods- I didn't know if this made more sense here or in "Hockey, Hockey, Hockey, Hockey," move at your discretion.]

With the Start of the NHL season around the corner we are seeing the forums filled with posts from first time members asking for help and advice, which is great.

First, Welcome! This forum is a pretty cool place, glad you found it, hopefully you’ll stay and enjoy everything it has to offer, now some advice for our new friends:

1. Be respectful to everyone. Pretty simple really treat others the way you want to be treated etc. If someone disagrees with you or argues against your team/advice/opinion don’t take that as an attack on you as a person. Also, feel free to disagree with anyone on their advice/opinion but don’t attack individuals cause that’s not cool.

2. When asking for input: HELP US HELP YOU!
    Here’s the thing every fantasy question depends upon the situation. The more information you provide the better the advice you’ll get. At an absolute minimum include the following:

# of teams in league
    # of players started per position, # of bench players, # of IR spots
    Keeper league? If so how many kept and any restrictions on keepers.
    Scoring format: head-to-head, or roto, categories or points (if points provide scoring breakdown). (personal pet peeve): don’t say “standard categories”. First, there is really no such thing in fantasy hockey as every league is different. Second, those responding may not know or remember the standard categories It’s pretty simple to type out “G/A/+/-/PIM/PPP/SOG” to make sure you're on the same page as those giving you advice.
    If salary cap or other restriction lay out the total cap allowed and players involved cap hits.
    Finally, include any other relevant details about either your league or the players involved in your question. There are many other possible rules or situations in play I can’ list them all.
    The easiest way to get solid advice is to create a signature with all of the above information, (see mine as an example) and keep it updated. Then all you have to do is say “who would you rather have Giroux or Seguin, league details in my signature”

To create a signature, log in-->my settings -->edit signature --> add all league info listed above--> save.

3. Search is your friend.The search function is a wealth of information. If you want general opinions on a player you can search his name and usually get several informed opinions. Nothing wrong with starting a new thread to get opinions but sometimes it takes longer to get responses.

4. Give rep!If someone gives you solid advice or information hit them with some rep, it takes a few seconds and lets the poster know you appreciated their input. Everyone loves getting rep. To add rep click on the Sheriff star icon in the bottom left corner, add a quick "Thanks" and hit enter. I'll wait while you practice giving rep to this post! Great, thanks for the rep!

Once again Welcome and Good Luck (unless you’re in my league then go away).
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Newbies – welcome and advice

12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Good post! Here's some REP! :P

Thanks Lawman, always a solid reminder to all - especially at the start of each new season. Personally, this should be stickied across the forums.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great post, but I'll come at this at an opposite angle, for the forum vets. (of course this a general blanket statement that does not apply to everyone)

Try and be patient and helpful to the newbies posting.

I lurked this forum for years before ever posting just because it seemed every time someone made their first post they were met with a sarcastic or snarky response.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Great post, but I'll come at this at an opposite angle, for the forum vets. (of course this a general blanket statement that does not apply to everyone)

Try and be patient and helpful to the newbies posting.

I lurked this forum for years before ever posting just because it seemed every time someone made their first post they were met with a sarcastic or snarky response.
    This is very true as well. Rule #1 above applies to all posters. Everyone was new to fantasy sports at one time, there are no stupid questions, you can offer advice and information without insulting someone, even if the question seems obvious to you.

That being said the #1 complaint I see veterans make about new posters is: MORE INFORMATION NEEDED!; hence this thread!
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Superstar

Seeing lots of new accounts around Dobber right now which is great. Figured I'd bump this old post as a reminded to all about how to get the best advice possible.
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Expert

A good tip for fantasy newbies when it comes to trading.

Don't try to win a trade. Try to improve your team
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I think this is the thread you are referring to.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...ding-the-Forum
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think this is the thread you are referring to.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...ding-the-Forum
    I dunno what i was doing then. it was right after lunch, maybe i was in a food coma a bit then.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Newbie

Since I'm a newbie how did I do in my first auction draft ?

Deep 10 team Roto League:
    Start 12 forwards 6 dmen 2 goalies 7 bench
    Categories : Goals , Assists , Shots , plus/minus , Special points , Hits(1/2 point category) , Blocks (1/2 point category) , GAA , SVPTG , Wins , Goalie Minutes Played
    Forwards - J. Benn , Rakell , Boeser , Kovalchuk , M. Marner , Monahan , Arvidsson , Rantanen , Elias Petterson , Ehlers , Atkinson , Middlestadt
    Defense - Ghostisbehere , M. Rielly , Dumba , Dahlin , Montour , Hanifin
    Goalies - Hellebucyk, Raanta
    Bench - Markstrom , Lehner , E. Lindholm , Chabot , Donato , Borgstrom
    IR -S. Weber
    Deep 10 team Auction Roto League:
    Start 12 forwards 6 dmen 2 goalies 7 bench
    Categories : Goals , Assists , Shots , plus/minus , Special points , Hits(1/2 point category) , Blocks (1/2 point category) , GAA , SVPTG , Wins , Goalie Minutes Played
    Forwards - J. Benn , Rakell , Boeser , Kovalchuk , M. Marner , Monahan , Arvidsson , Rantanen , Elias Petterson , Ehlers , Atkinson , Middlestadt
    Defense - Ghostisbehere , M. Rielly , Dumba , Dahlin , Montour , Hanifin
    Goalies - Hellebucyk, Raanta
    Bench - Markstrom , Lehner , E. Lindholm , Chabot , Donato , Borgstrom
    IR -S. Weber

Dobber Sports Recruit

hi there! this is my first year using a draft kit and am looking for some advice

I play in a 10-man H2H categories league:
    G, A, PIM, SOG, PPP, SHP, HITS, BK, FOW, W, SO, SV%, GAA.
    2RW, 2C, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4 Bench, 2 IR

My draft plan usually goes something like: top forward, top scoring defense, goalie, defense, forward, goalie, fill out forwards/defense and fill gaps where needed. In reality, it can be all over the place and I wing it as best as I can. My goal is to be balanced across all the categories and pick up people with reliable secondary stats. Someone like O'Reilly may streak in scoring categories, but he'll always be solid in face off wins.

Whats the best way to make use of the fantasy geek draft guru and fit their rankings in with your priorities? Are the FHG values reliable in comparing players? I'm not sure how its calculated, but i see some players ranked much higher than others even though they have comparable stats. Do they take positional scarcity into the equation? That would explain why a guy like brent burns is ranked at 7 and connor mcdavid is 14.

Other than that, do you have any advice for draft day?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by gfxprotege View Post
    hi there! this is my first year using a draft kit and am looking for some advice

I play in a 10-man H2H categories league:
    G, A, PIM, SOG, PPP, SHP, HITS, BK, FOW, W, SO, SV%, GAA.
    2RW, 2C, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4 Bench, 2 IR

My draft plan usually goes something like: top forward, top scoring defense, goalie, defense, forward, goalie, fill out forwards/defense and fill gaps where needed. In reality, it can be all over the place and I wing it as best as I can. My goal is to be balanced across all the categories and pick up people with reliable secondary stats. Someone like O'Reilly may streak in scoring categories, but he'll always be solid in face off wins.

Whats the best way to make use of the fantasy geek draft guru and fit their rankings in with your priorities? Are the FHG values reliable in comparing players? I'm not sure how its calculated, but i see some players ranked much higher than others even though they have comparable stats. Do they take positional scarcity into the equation? That would explain why a guy like brent burns is ranked at 7 and connor mcdavid is 14.

Other than that, do you have any advice for draft day?
    You should create a new thread for this if you want responses.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    You should create a new thread for this if you want responses.
    LUCA! You just broke rule #1

1. Be respectful to everyone. Pretty simple really treat others the way you want to be treated etc. If someone disagrees with you or argues against your team/advice/opinion don’t take that as an attack on you as a person. Also, feel free to disagree with anyone on their advice/opinion but don’t attack individuals cause that’s not cool.

@ gfxprotege - WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I started a new thread for you on your question. You can find it right here. Good luck with your draft!
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Novice

Sorry - how come I can't delete my own threads once I post them?